NBC Sports Edge Forums

2013 ALDS- Tigers @ A's

Backdoor Slider

Det showed up today, props to them, back to Oakland for gm 5. Colon vs Verlander, should be a good game.

Gonna be a good one for sure, I know it isn't happening but if I was Oakland I'd be tempted to pitch Sonny Gray. He's pitching so good, I've been blown away by him this year. Of course Colon has been no slouch himself.

"Gutsy Scherzer helps Tigers" is the ESPN headline.

I saw him come in, but he was the one who put all the men on...

He gave up the possible winning run...

Yeah he got out of it, but I'm not sure was amazing and "Gutsy"

Unless I'm missing something.

Bringing Max in...fail. I was surprised Leyland went that route

Well, since they'd have Verlander throw Game 5, if they win, it's not quite as bad.

Put another way - I'd rather they fail with their bullets spent than with them in the holster (see: NLDS LA/ATL thread). If people want to argue Max wasn't at his most effective this say, perhaps, but I like the all-hands-on-deck approach for elimination games.

I just wonder if it will affect him for the rest of the playoffs if they do advance

Bringing Max in...fail. I was surprised Leyland went that route

Well, since they'd have Verlander throw Game 5, if they win, it's not quite as bad.

Put another way - I'd rather they fail with their bullets spent than with them in the holster (see: NLDS LA/ATL thread). If people want to argue Max wasn't at his most effective this say, perhaps, but I like the all-hands-on-deck approach for elimination games.

I just wonder if it will affect him for the rest of the playoffs if they do advance

Anything's possible, but the off-days with Game 5 & ALCS Sat start dates means Max could rest the full 4 days and start Game 2, or if Leyland has any concerns, get 6 days rest and go in Game 3, and still be there for a Game 7. I think after last year's loss, the Tigers are in every-hand-onboard mode. It didn't show up result-wise, but I don't think anyone would have been thinking "Jose Veras should have been out there" - DET fired their entire arsenal of bullets to get through Game 4, and still have Verlander for Game 5.

Given the extra rest involved (1 offday before Game 5 and 1 after), you have to like Miggy's chances of healing up and getting better with each new series, too. The A's match up really well, which is why this series has been such a cliffhanger, and with their bats rolling of late, a complete tossup for the elimination game.

Verlander vs. Colon - it's like a 2000's showdown all over again for Game 5!

Det showed up today, props to them, back to Oakland for gm 5. Colon vs Verlander, should be a good game.

Gonna be a good one for sure, I know it isn't happening but if I was Oakland I'd be tempted to pitch Sonny Gray. He's pitching so good, I've been blown away by him this year. Of course Colon has been no slouch himself.

Gray just announced as gm5 starter, good call. This was who I'd rather make the start as well, kid has looked very good so far, but hard not to go with the vet here, putting the playoff hopes on a rookie must have been a difficult decision for Melvin.

I have a bad feeling that Gray is going to shut the Tigers down tonight. The middle of the Tiger order just has not looked like they should. Verlander is obviously capable of shutting the A's down as well, but him being prone to a long ball here and there scares me with guys like Cespedes and Moss in the lineup who are looking to do just that.

Nerves are building. Should be a good one!

Gray looked touchable in that second and Fielder getting caught running was terrible. Thankfully Cabrera got to him. Would like to see a couple more. Verlander has looked great, but one HR could easily change things.

Archived