NBC Sports Edge Forums

Should I tank and lose today to improve my team ROS?

Guest JimmyGs

Guest JimmyGs

Long story short, I traded Brady right before I lost Cutler and Foles and Doug Martin on the same day. Murray is out this week now. Keenen Allen is on BYE.

Jake Locker (amazing ROS schedule) and Fleener (great upseide w Wayne gone) are sitting on the wire and I could grab them by dropping the WW scraps I picked up as starters today but would then assuredly lose today. I am facing a team w RGII, Morris, Calvin, DeSean, Blackmon, Gronk and Seattle D. Juggernaut.

Would you guys tank ONE game to improve your team ROS?

It would depend on your ww position - is there a chance you get those anyway? If not who knows you might still win trying to tank! It happens... Who would have thought Cutler put up no points the week he got hurt..

What is your record now? If you are 6-1 or 5-2 maybe, other than that I would still play for the win, injuries happen during a game and all of a sudden you are in the game, not likely but possible. GL

i would definetly try to grab locker until is too late.

Can you drop your starter 1 minute after he's locked ?

if yes, maybe try to do that. at 1:01 ET you pick Locker and drop someone who started a 1:00 ET.

I would if you know you are making the playoffs, or just enough to guarantee your spot (I know it's the middle of the season and the playoff picture might not be anywhere near close enough to). Really, if you have 3 or fewer games in your regular season, or if there are only eight or more teams making the playoffs and you are over .750, you can take the hit and start solidifying your roster for the playoffs.

Guest JimmyGs

i would definetly try to grab locker until is too late.

Can you drop your starter 1 minute after he's locked ?

if yes, maybe try to do that. at 1:01 ET you pick Locker and drop someone who started a 1:00 ET.

Starters are locked as soon as they start so no.
Guest JimmyGs

Roster is:

QB: Palmer

RB: Mike James (played and cannot drop)

RB: Pettis

WR: Wallace

WR Terrance Williams

TE: Vernon Davis

Flex: MJD

RB: Murray (out), Martin (out), Brown (out)

WR: Edelman, Allen (BYE), Stevie.

I would drop Edelman (Amendola is back and Edelman is scoreless thru 6) for Locker.

I would drop Stevie and pickup Fleener (Wayne out might be huge) as a BYE week fill in for Davis next week.

If it helps, Morris is on a small slide, and Blackmon might not be the 100%-go-to against the SF defense (they are #2 against the opposing WR1). If you are that confident to break your next 5 wins after this loss, and 8 out of 12 make the playoffs (finishing above .500 isn't too bad with that ratio), it's a fence thing.

*Now that I see your roster versus his, I changed my mind...grab Locker and prepare for Week 9 and thereafter. You might give your opp a run for a little today, but I think he'll have the W. You might as well make your squad more solid to hit and win in the playoffs.

Guest JimmyGs

I would not drop Stevie for Fleener. You have VD right??

You need WRs, RBs, a QB, a flex player. Time to get really creative via trades, if possible

Keeper league? Ppr?

PS: you're not winning today lol (sorry, not gonna happen)

PPR/redraft league. Stevie's schedule is terrible coming up. VD is on BYE next week so will play Fleener week 9. If Fleener beasts then I can flip him or VD to upgrade somewhere else.

Just because you tank today and get the players your want (IF), doesnt mean the players are going to perform how you want, and give you those wins you need down the line. You cant afford to just throw away a week's win to improve your waiver priority. Take every win you can get.

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=391318#entry3993392

Dude you're 2-5 and about to go 2-6 with that strategy you are proposing. Locker and Fleener are not going to magically carry you into the playoffs, especially given how flukey fantasy football is. Not to mention, Fleener is not even really guaranteed to become a big time option just because Reggie is gone (I have him and am holding out hope that he does). Waivers have most likely cleared on Wed or Thurs and both of those guys are still available. What's the rush in grabbing Fleener now? Why not just wait to pick him up before next week and use your roster spot today on a player who can help you win.

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=391325

Guest JimmyGs

Everyone has been very helpful!

So let's boil it down to these final questions:

1) Drop Edelman (Amendola is back and Edelman is scoreless thru 6) for Locker?

2) Drop Stevie or Pettis and pickup Fleener (Wayne out might be huge) as a BYE week fill in for Davis next week?

Guest JimmyGs

Dude you're 2-5 and about to go 2-6 with that strategy you are proposing. Locker and Fleener are not going to magically carry you into the playoffs, especially given how flukey fantasy football is. Not to mention, Fleener is not even really guaranteed to become a big time option just because Reggie is gone (I have him and am holding out hope that he does). Waivers have most likely cleared on Wed or Thurs and both of those guys are still available. What's the rush in grabbing Fleener now? Why not just wait to pick him up before next week and use your roster spot today on a player who can help you win.

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=391325

Nobody on the wire right now will help me any more today. Looking at the TEs for next week there is NO one left with 1) a good matchup 2) worth keeping ROS. Several others teams need TEs next week as well.

How in the world is that even tanking? Here I am thinking you don't have a QB and then I realize Palmer is starting. And are you really questioning dropping Stevie over Pettis?

Pick up Locker and hold on Fleener to pick up a starting RB this week! Guys that might be available are Bolden, D. Thomas, etc.

If Murray ends up being active, slot him in the Rb2 spot and go ahead with Fleener.

Guest JimmyGs

How in the world is that even tanking? Here I am thinking you don't have a QB and then I realize Palmer is starting. And are you really questioning dropping Stevie over Pettis?

Pick up Locker and hold on Fleener to pick up a starting RB this week! Guys that might be available are Bolden, D. Thomas, etc.

If Murray ends up being active, slot him in the Rb2 spot and go ahead with Fleener.

If I drop Stevie for Fleener then I am not tanking on purpose but if I drop a starter such as they are then I am 100% toast this week instead of 99%.
Guest JimmyGs

Pettis is a WR. You should not drop a starter for Fleener.

Damn, JimmyG, how are people supposed to take your advice on he general board seriously when you put out posts like these?

Sorry, was typing fast to try and make decision. Peyton Hillis, not Pettis.

Archived