NBC Sports Edge Forums

Detroit Tigers 2014 Outlook

Backdoor Slider

Looks like Brad Ausmus is the man to take this team forward. With the exception of guys that can blow up a team, like Bobby Valentine or Carlos Guillen types, this hiring shouldn't matter much. Team should be full steam ahead to the playoffs.

A bullpen that was already a weakness will lose Veras and Benoit and, if Max is traded, likely Smyly as well. It's top 3 bullpen arms. Team needs to remake the entire bullpen. Joe Nathan could be a start.

Will Scherzer be dealt in the offseason? Do you go balls out for WS and lose him next year, or do you deal him this winter to fill other holes? JV, Anibal, Fister will still be a top SP trio in the league, and Porcello & Smyly could round out a still very good staff.

A big off season for Detroit.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Additionally, Rondon did not look the part of a closer last year and was also dealing with elbow issues at the end of the year, which is cause for concern. Still there will be a number of closers/bullpen arms that will be available, so I would not be concerned about losing the guys mentioned above.

I don't think Scherzer will be dealt. He's a Boras client, meaning he's not going to sign on wherever he is dealt as Boras clients all go to free agency, so the return will be limited. And Ilitch is still desperate for a World Series and isn't getting any younger and looks to be in less than good health. Not to mention Tigs could get compensation picks when Scherzer leaves that would lessen the blow (I believe these still exist right?).

Ausmus will have Lamont back as his bench coach, and likely Jeff Jones back as Tigs pitching coach. I expect little change in terms of managing, other than hopefully a much more "patience at the plate" orientated hitting coach - Tig's swing away philosophy under Leyland/McClendon less than desirable.

I think the Tigs will go hard after Joe Nathan as a free agent this off-season to be their "big" signing. I think they keep Infante, let Peralta walk.

Lot of the openings this winter on teams that are built to win, I think of the odds to win next years World Series, 3 of the 6 had openings and the Dodgers are somewhat unsettled could potentially be a 4th.

Tigers, Nats, Reds, Dodgers.

Also sounds like the Tigers will be going after Choo. I think they resign Infante and sign Nathan for two years. Max isn't going anywhere.

I don't know if the Tigs have money for this. No big salary is coming off the books to take on Choo, not to mention arbitration raises. Maybe they'll spend the money they had set aside for Austin Jackson to Choo. And the Hunter comes off the books next year, as does V-Mart and Scherzer walks - so this is really the last year to go all-in before some semblence of a retool.

Also sounds like the Tigers will be going after Choo. I think they resign Infante and sign Nathan for two years. Max isn't going anywhere.

I don't know if the Tigs have money for this. No big salary is coming off the books to take on Choo, not to mention arbitration raises. Maybe they'll spend the money they had set aside for Austin Jackson to Choo. And the Hunter comes off the books next year, as does V-Mart and Scherzer walks - so this is really the last year to go all-in before some semblence of a retool.

Agreed.

But if i were the Tigers I'd look at moving Vmart this offseason and having MCab and Prince play first base and DH. More Mcab than Prince. I'd then resign Peralta to a one year deal to play 3b. This combination would drastically improve the Tigers D and start to add longevity to Mcab's career.

I would not trade Max this offseason. I would explore trading Smyly, Porcello, or Fister to a starting pitching hungry team for bullpen help or a LF (Ethier if LAD is willing to eat some of the contract in a three way deal). My remaining dollars would be spent on getting a legitimate closer, either Nathan or Brian Wilson (who looked 100% and excellent down the stretch). I'd go with Wilson.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like Tigs are "listening" on Scherzer, Porcello and now Fister. Basically it's to get Smyly into the #5 slot and save a chunk of change. Scherzer isn't going anywhere though, it will either be Porcello or Fister - I'm now of the belief that the Tigs will try to re-sign Scherzer after next season. Both Porcello and Fister will be gone, Smyly shows enough to be a #4 and Tigs can get a cheap veteran arm #5 or a prospect comes up for that spot.

I'd bet Porcello is dealt this off-season. Probably for a second baseman.

Prince Fielder will not be moved unless there is lockerroom issues hidden from the public eye. He was going though a tough divorce and it messed him up. He has a pretty restrictive no-trade clause, so unless he asks to be traded there is no point Dombrowski even looks into it because it would just set up drama if he found a taker and then Prince blocked it sorta deal.On a side - Why wouldn't Scherzer look to sign long term now? Either with the Tigs and if they're not close, request a trade to a team who would meet his salary demands. Sure there wouldn't be a feeding frenzy to get him maximum dollar, but he could get $170M+ now and not risk pitching the season, blowing out his arm and getting nothing. So take the $170M now or pitch the year under constant pitcher risks and hopes of getting maybe 25M more in the open market?

So you think the Tigers will have almost 3/4 of a billion dollars wrapped up in Prince, JV, Max, & Cabrera when they have to resign him? Or let Cabrera walk? Neither of those is an option. Max should be dealt to maximize the return because if not, it's a compensatory pick when he walks next winter. They cannot resign him.

I'd throw Scherzer & Castellanos to the Nats for Span, Rendon, Storen. Fills holes in bullpen, 2B, LF, & lead off hitter. Tigers rotation, led by JV, Anibal, & Fister would still be one of the best in the majors.

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, Prince was traded afterall - a good deal for both teams. I wonder if Kinsler had a good rapport with Joe Nathan. Torii Hunter is trying to recruit him here, maybe Kinsler could be another friendly face that would add a certain level of comfort in the lockerroom for Nathan.

^Yucky. The guy tries way to hard to be "that guy". His personality is incredibly forced and phony. If he can pitch like he did pre-injury though I guess I could stomach it.

I wonder if Tigers targeted Wilson over Nathan because they don't have to bid against the Yankees for Wilson because Brian won't cut his beard, and the Yanks only have clean shaven players by org rule.

I love Wilson's personality. He is a closer. Let him be.

As for offseason moves, Detroit needs to fill a bullpen. Not just one guy so here is what I expect. They sign Wilson or Nathan. Nathan though at his age and the contract length he wants I am not sure. Wilson could be rumored just to get Nathan to loosen his demands a little.

I predict Porcello gets dealt for some bullpen help. Tigers want Smyly in the rotation and quite frankly need a Lefty in the Rotation. Scherzer will eventually be resigned. Tigers need to fill a bullpen though as they cut Veras and Benoit may leave...and Smyly to rotation. So somehow they must get it and it will likely come via trading Porcello.

I could also see the Tigers dangling Austin Jackson in a trade. They'd have to find another centerfielder first though.

I am a littel scared of relying on Castellanos. The Tigers really have not tested him in the majors. So there is a potential 1st/3rd hole.

As for Choo, he is a .200 hitter vs lefties and .300 verses righties. I think in the playoffs that really hampers the TIgers, because they will have to pinch hit for him against lefties or be another out. He is in someways a platoon player. For the money not sure I want him.

<p>I don't think Scherzer will be re-signed, and surely not this off-season coming off his Cy Young season. Would make much more sense to wait to see how his 2014 season is, and if Tigs fall out of contention they could trade him at the deadline.

I don't think Porcello will be dealt for bullpen help - I don't think you trade a #3 (on the acquiring team) for bullpen help unless it was a lights out closer type under team control for awhile. I do think he'll be dealt though, but for a position player - either 3B or LF (or 1B if Miguel is intent to stay at 1B).

Choo is the most expensive platoon player. Utterly useless against lefties.

I'm much more bullish on Castellanos. I'd love to see him at 3B with Miggy at 1B, and signing a veteran LF bat (Beltran would have been great, but he wants too many years/money and Yanks seem ready to give it to him). LF needs to be a #5 type hitter to put behind Kinsler-Hunter-Cabrera-VMart.

Lombardozzi (??) is being mentioned as a piece. Utility infielder type, can't be centerpiece. I assume Storen or Clippard will be the centerpiece. With the money closers and scrub infielders are getting, looks like Detroit is looking for cheap alternatives - hopefully to spend money elsewhere this off-season.

Archived