NBC Sports Edge Forums

Detroit Tigers 2014 Outlook

Backdoor Slider

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cano was sighted in Detroit a couple weeks ago. FIelders contracts off the books, they save several million with the last trade. Dombrowski likes to make a splash. Id bet hes going after a big fish like Cano (move Kinsler to LF and prolong his career) or a guy like Ellsbury. Theres a reason they made cost saving deals like these two, I reserve any judgement until I see the string play out.

Cano was sighted in Detroit a couple weeks ago. FIelders contracts off the books, they save several million with the last trade. Dombrowski likes to make a splash. Id bet hes going after a big fish like Cano (move Kinsler to LF and prolong his career) or a guy like Ellsbury. Theres a reason they made cost saving deals like these two, I reserve any judgement until I see the string play out.

Cano would make no sense.

I actually think Cano would make sense and I'm a Yankee fan. They can move Kinsler around and then the Prince trade and fister trade would make more sense. If they don't sign someone big then I don't get the trade i know they need to pay max

Well, they got Fister from Seattle for an absolute poo poo platter.

Increased Fister's value 2 times, and now trading him away for a slightly better poo poo platter.

Those stinkin Tigers definitely have something planned big picture...I hope.

I hope they sign him to a 20-year, $800 million dollar deal.

Trade makes no sense....Tigers are a win now team and Fister is an established rotation arm. Perfect #4 starter behind Scherzer, Verlander, and Sanchez....has a track record of some postseason success. If you want to trade Fister, fine, but you gotta do better than that.....I'm not sure Rick Porcello would command a package like that, and he's awful

Makes you wonder where the other 28 teams in MLB are at times when deals like that go through.....

I agree, trade makes no sense. It is like the Tigers think Porcello is going to be something but it is never going to happen. Smyly will be the 4th starter, but why we keep Porcello and trade Fister? It confuses me. If you are going to trade Fister you needed to shore up that bullpen and they did not. Cuz where are the bodies coming from to fill that bullpen? I still can not believe they cut Veras too.

I sense Ellsbury being the big name they sign. I think the TIgers want more speed in front of Cabrera. They will acquire Ellsbury and trade Jackson.....for bullpen help I hope. Not a fan of Shoo (he is basically a platoon player because he can not hit lefties at all).

Still Porcello???? (shakes head).

I agree, trade makes no sense. It is like the Tigers think Porcello is going to be something but it is never going to happen. Smyly will be the 4th starter, but why we keep Porcello and trade Fister? It confuses me. If you are going to trade Fister you needed to shore up that bullpen and they did not. Cuz where are the bodies coming from to fill that bullpen? I still can not believe they cut Veras too.

I sense Ellsbury being the big name they sign. I think the TIgers want more speed in front of Cabrera. They will acquire Ellsbury and trade Jackson.....for bullpen help I hope. Not a fan of Shoo (he is basically a platoon player because he can not hit lefties at all).

Well, Ken Rosenthal just tweeted that Joe Nathan is close to a deal with the Tigers....I get that the Tigers would want to get an established closer, but still....the return on Fister just isn't good enough to justify that trade

Still need a 7th and 8th inning guy. Many upgrades needed in the pen.

I agree not enough return on Fister.

I do however remember when the Tigers traded Curtis Granderson and Edwin Jackson for Austin Jackson, Max Scherzer, Phil Coke and Schlerth. People thought we got fleeced then....we'll see but I don't like it now.

Tigs reportedly still in talks with Benoit about coming back as the set-up guy to Nathan now. FWIW, Nathan was Detroit's Plan B, they targeted Brian Wilson initially but he informed them late Monday that he is going in another direction - reportedly wants to stay in Cali and will re-sign with Dodgers.

I hope Nathan isn't for more than 20M over two years. That would basically be where Fister's remaining two years went - about $7M this year and 12M next season through arbitration.

Well, Ken Rosenthal just tweeted that Joe Nathan is close to a deal with the Tigers....I get that the Tigers would want to get an established closer, but still....the return on Fister just isn't good enough to justify that trade

I agree, but it was widely known that Detroit was shopping Porcello or Fister so all GM's could have kicked the tires and made an offer. It's not like Dombrowski settled for less than the best offer one would prudently have to assume. Fister goes from #4 in Detroit to #4 in Washington - nobody saw him as a #3 or were willing to pony up for him as one. Detroit is in the very least holding the line on their salary structure and with internal raises need to cut salary so needed to move Fister/Porcello in order to be able to afford to fill closer, LF/3B and reliever roles yet.

Archived