NBC Sports Edge Forums

Detroit Tigers 2014 Outlook

Backdoor Slider

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming the Tigers do resign MadMax to go with JV, Smyly, and Porcello on the bump...

The Tigers will still have an infield of nick, jose, devon travis, and miggy for the next five years. That's solid if travis and nick develop as expected.

I must be the only one but I think Ajax takes his game to the next level this year and is only 27.

Avilia is only 27. He might might be any better than he has been to date but he's not awful.

That leaves filling the corner outfield spots and DH from free agency. Not an ideal situation but they are some of the easier spots to fill via smart trades, bargain signings, and creative platoons. Same with the bullpen.

I don't think the future is all that bleak. Just the unbiased opinion of a non fan.

Actually what you say about the Tigers makes me feel less confident then before I read it. You are forgetting Sanchez, but none of those players outside JV, Max, and Cabrera are worth much. Only one that may prove me wrong is Castelannos because the jury is still out on him.

Tigers aren't really an old baseball team. Everybody on there pitching staff outside of Nathan is 31 or younger. Infield isn't old - Avila - 27, Miggy - 30, Kinsler - 31, Castellanos - 22, Iglesias - 24. Hunter and Vmart are the only guys with wrinkles on offense. AJax is still only 27, Dirks 28. They need to have some nice drafts the next few years and some of there prospects to bust out this year to have a new influx down the pipe line, but if that does not happen they should still have a 3 year window to compete, with or without Scherzer. Verlander - Sanchez - Smyly - Porcello is still a very nice 1 - 4.

Tigers aren't really an old baseball team. Everybody on there pitching staff outside of Nathan is 31 or younger. Infield isn't old - Avila - 27, Miggy - 30, Kinsler - 31, Castellanos - 22, Iglesias - 24. Hunter and Vmart are the only guys with wrinkles on offense. AJax is still only 27, Dirks 28. They need to have some nice drafts the next few years and some of there prospects to bust out this year to have a new influx down the pipe line, but if that does not happen they should still have a 3 year window to compete, with or without Scherzer. Verlander - Sanchez - Smyly - Porcello is still a very nice 1 - 4.

Heres the problem with all that. Kinsler is already declining and moving to a far less friendly park, Iglesias is glove first if he hits .250-60 its gravy as thats probably who he is topping out with no power and minimal SB, Castellanos is an unknown but should be a solid player. I get those two are young but they arent exactly going to carry a lineup. Avila as I said has issues staying healthy already. Dirks is younger as well but Dirks isnt that good. Saying Hunter and Vmart leaving is the only wrinkle is fine, but at present they are the 2nd and 3rd best hitters on the team. Jackson is one guy that could be a key piece but I have yet to see any real signs of improvement out of him in his time in a Tigers uniform.

Porcello is no guarantee to be around, the question is at what point does he price out, hes already making $8.5 million in arbitration and we just saw the Tigers ship Fister out for less money (even though Fister is a better pitcher). The bullpen is young and dealing with injuries, and even without the injuries was/is a questionable unit.

I guess I could be viewed as overly worried about this but I think its more looking at it from a pragmatic sense.

Theres a lot of questions in the short term future.

I'm definitely bookmarking all this doom & gloom for the Tigers outlook. That roster + Dombrowski = just fine in my books. You can't have all-stars at every position. (Yes, their depth stinks) And just when you think Shane Victorino, Mike Napoli, or John Lackey are in "decline", they turn their season into a DVD Box set.

I'm definitely bookmarking all this doom & gloom for the Tigers outlook. That roster + Dombrowski = just fine in my books. You can't have all-stars at every position. (Yes, their depth stinks) And just when you think Shane Victorino, Mike Napoli, or John Lackey are in "decline", they turn their season into a DVD Box set.

Dombrowski is likely to end up as the next commissioner of MLB from the sound it so I dont know how much longer he'll be there.

This type of thing always cracks me up too. 20/20 hindsight in the future to come back if this doesnt play out. Being skeptical or worried about future returns on an aging team which just sank huge money into an aging player gets treated like your nuts. Is it doom and gloom, no. Is it pointing out real issues that the team could face and the fact that a $30 million contract has the potential to be a millstone around a teams necks for filling future needs. Absolutely. The lack of depth is the real problem, the lack of a farm sstem with prospects ready to contribute even more so. We are seeing right now what that lineup looks like with injuries and thats not in the future when Hunter/Vmart are gone. I guess who replaces them goes a long way to determining lineup health, I just have a hard time seeing money being spent aggressively in free agency when they are reluctant to now.

Also not sure with Victorino or Napoli who was saying they were on the decline as Victorino had been remarkably consistent before coming to the Red Sox, Napoli came off a career year but that was return to the norm for him more so than any decline. Lackey had one mediocre and then one terrible season and was then coming then TJ surgery. Stranger things have happened as far as guys turning it around in tougher divisions and less friendly ball parks but there was ample reason to be concerned on him. Those three players also happen to be on a team that has money, but spends it wisely with a balanced payroll, there wasnt a player on the Red Sox last year who made more than $16 million.

Dombrowski is likely to end up as the next commissioner of MLB from the sound it so I dont know how much longer he'll be there.

This type of thing always cracks me up too. 20/20 hindsight in the future to come back if this doesnt play out. Being skeptical or worried about future returns on an aging team which just sank huge money into an aging player gets treated like your nuts. Is it doom and gloom, no. Is it pointing out real issues that the team could face and the fact that a $30 million contract has the potential to be a millstone around a teams necks for filling future needs. Absolutely. Also not sure with Victorino or Napoli who was saying they were on the decline as Victorino had been remarkably consistent before coming to the Red Sox, Napoli came off a career year but that was return to the norm for him more so than any decline. Lackey had one mediocre and then one terrible season and was then coming then TJ surgery. Stranger things have happened as far as guys turning it around in tougher divisions and less friendly ball parks but there was ample reason to be concerned on him. Those three players also happen to be on a team that has money, but spends it wisely with a balanced payroll, there wasnt a player on the Red Sox last year who made more than $16 million.

Well, you & Dave Cameron of Fangraphs also "crack me up" being "concerned" about 2016 and beyond. I'm not saying your "nuts", I'm saying Cabrera & Verlander aren't Pujols & Hambone. I'm not worried. You are. I'm bookmarking this gloomy outlook. You're not. Fine. Enjoy your season.

This type of thing always cracks me up too. 20/20 hindsight in the future to come back if this doesnt play out. Being skeptical or worried about future returns on an aging team which just sank huge money into an aging player gets treated like your nuts. Is it doom and gloom, no. Is it pointing out real issues that the team could face and the fact that a $30 million contract has the potential to be a millstone around a teams necks for filling future needs. Absolutely. Also not sure with Victorino or Napoli who was saying they were on the decline as Victorino had been remarkably consistent before coming to the Red Sox, Napoli came off a career year but that was return to the norm for him more so than any decline. Lackey had one mediocre and then one terrible season and was then coming then TJ surgery. Stranger things have happened as far as guys turning it around in tougher divisions and less friendly ball parks but there was ample reason to be concerned on him. Those three players also happen to be on a team that has money, but spends it wisely with a balanced payroll, there wasnt a player on the Red Sox last year who made more than $16 million.

Well, you & Dave Cameron of Fangraphs also "crack me up" being "concerned" about 2016 and beyond. I'm not saying your "nuts". I'm saying Cabrera & Verlander aren't Pujols & Hambone. I'm not worried. You are. I'm bookmarking this gloomy outlook. You're not. Fine. Enjoy your season.

Never said or implied they were, I also never indicated any worries about them in the short term. The worry is being able to construct a quality roster around them. It appears we are looking at this from two different angles. The key worry for me being the point that funds arent unlimited so overspending isnt helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Why don't they bat Austin Jackson ahead of Miggy? His OBP is .371 this year and his career OBP is .345. He's always hit at the top of the lineup and it could help get their offense going again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Beltran to NYY means they're out of Choo, or should be. Boston, Texas, and Seattle are still in on Choo though. LAD need to trade an OF as well, so it looks like two OF for four suitors. I think Detroit NEEDS to pony up for Choo now.

The Detroit Tigers traded Prince Fielder to free up money to sign...

Rajai Davis?!?!

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Well in the very least a Davis signing (to platoon with Dirks is LF) will likely mean the Tigers will spend more on the bullpen, signing a Benoit/Balfour type to be the set-up man to Nathan, with Rondon filliung the fireman role for a couple of years.

In response to sign Choo. Have you looked into Choo's strength and weaknesses? Choo is AWFUL against left handed pitchers. He is like an automatic out. For any team wanting to win in the playoffs you do not sign Shoo to a huge deal. He is really a platoon hitter as he is an automatic out against lefties. Choo would be fine for the regular season, but in the playoffs teams generally have better bullpens and would bring in a leftie in late innings of any close game. No to Choo.

I like the Rajai Davis signing only if they bring in another power bat. I would love to see the Tigers bring in Cruz. Cruz also is a great hitter in the playoffs as I remember him toasting the Tigers a couple years ago. I just think if we do not bring in another power bat our lineup is pretty weak. We lost some good power hitters in Fielder and Peralta.

Cruz would be a horrific signing. Playoff performance has sample size issues, and has been shown not to be predictive. He's well on the wrong side of 30, off the juice, gets hurt a lot, he's gonna be expensive, and he's declining.

Peralta wasn't a power hitter. He's like a 15 HR guy. Big deal.

On Base Percentage is far more important than batting average. So yes, it matters.

Also, who is Scott Boros? Any relation to Scott Boras?

Aside from all that, nice series of posts lol.

Let me come on here and say I told you so. I should be the general manager for the Tigers.

Brilliant comments Klove42, a Nelson Cruz signing would be horrific. And you were laughing at me. LOL.

A dumb "joke," put I've had it with the PC police. This is a non-story to anyone with a brain, yet news outlets all over making it an issue.

The Tigers collapse is a much bigger story. I hated the JV signing when it was made. A ton of miles on that arm. Hated the Fister deal. How much better would the rotation & bullpen be with Fister here and Smyly in the 8th (or closing?).

Hitters 5-9 are all awful.

This is a poorly constructed team, and those problems have been compounded. Where are all the Dombrowski apologists?

Even Anibal cannot tame the beast that is the KC Royals...

• 1 month later...

This team's flaws get exposed too often. Hitting that fails to exploit pitchers. A bullpen that gets abused.

You mean JD Martinez & Castellanos both up with a man on 3rd and both swinging at 3-0 pitches, both eventually striking out and never bringing the run home?

And man, that bullpen would be much better if only we had a SP like Fister, who's straight dealing in WAS, & kept Smyly in the bullpen.

Their SP & top of the lineup will carry them a long way, but don't think they have enough to win it all.

ARE THEY DRUNK? I NEED TO KNOW.

seems that way.

good news is they're getting hits off Locke. They could make this a game

They haven't had a hit since the 3rd batter of the game. They might as well as chalk this one up as a loss and have Don Kelly pitch the rest of the game.

ARE THEY DRUNK? I NEED TO KNOW.

seems that way.

good news is they're getting hits off Locke. They could make this a game

They haven't had a hit since the 3rd batter of the game. They might as well as chalk this one up as a loss and have Don Kelly pitch the rest of the game.

my bad I forgot those walks were...walks

take V mart and miggy out. put DK at first and Nick at 3B and JD WITH A MONEY THROW

Archived