Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Lucas Giolito - SP WAS


FouLLine
 Share

Recommended Posts

Chances Giolito gets the call this season?

Take injury to Giolito out of the equation and it's 100% IMO

Before September?

I think the odds are still pretty strong it happens before September. He seems to be improving each start and it's looking like another Nats/Mets battle. As it's been said many times on here, there will be a pitching injury or Roark/Ross will cause them to lose games. After last year, I think the Nats are going to be aggressive to win that division

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucas Giolito, RHP, Washington Nationals: 6 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 8 K.

Since May 9th, Giolito has an ERA of 1.77 in just under 36 innings, and he’s struck out 33 and walked 14 in the process. Maybe those aren’t the dominating strikeout totals we were expecting to see, but I can assure you, he will certainly miss more than enough bats with his stuff to be a top-of-the-rotation starter, and he’s becoming a more complete pitcher in the process. He’s the best pitching prospect in baseball, and over the last month, he’s pitched like it. That’s fun.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=29427

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They simply don't have room in their rotation right now (Scherzer/Strasburg/Gonzalez/Ross/Roark). No one in that rotation is a liability and Washington is 5 games up in the NL East. Gonzalez would be the closest thing to a liability, and I'm sure if they could trade him they would consider it but there is no sense of urgency. Let Giolito continue to build his confidence and hone his craft - it won't be long before he's a permanent member of that rotation. He's going to be on an innings cap this season anyway, so even if he were called up for more than a spot start he likely wouldn't even be a playoff option in head to head leagues (threw 117 innings in 2015 and 98 innings in 2014).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

does anyone here watch full minor league games? If so, when you watch Giolito, does the hype seem warranted? Does his raw stuff jump off the screen? Does he have the kind of ace-ceiling that is worth holding onto in, say, a keep-5 league? 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Totally ineffective tonight. Can't even dominate double AA. Basically I have a hole on my team for how long? 2016 for sure, probably next year. Will he even be a starter? It's not as if he is young for AA.

Edited by phatrat
CSB removed
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I drove up to Portland for tonight's game. The first time around the lineup he threw pretty much all fastballs and looked good. 94-95, touched 96 a couple times and threw strikes. He gave up 1 single and faced the minimum nine. The second time around he started mixing in a lot more off speed stuff and that's when things started to unravel. He didn't have good command of his secondary stuff and then it seemed to effect his fastball command as well. He fell behind batters and bad things started happening. Physically he looks the part. He's tall and long. The fastball looks legit but in tonight's outing the secondary stuff was inconsistent at best.

Edited by fletch44
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, fletch44 said:

I drove up to Portland for tonight's game. The first time around the lineup he threw pretty much all fastballs and looked good. 94-95, touched 96 a couple times and threw strikes. He gave up 1 single and faced the minimum nine. The second time around he started mixing in a lot more off speed stuff and that's when things started to unravel. He didn't have good command of his secondary stuff and then it seemed to effect his fastball command as well. He fell behind batters and bad things started happening. Physically he looks the part. He's tall and long. The fastball looks legit but in tonight's outing the secondary stuff was inconsistent at best.

 

Pathetic

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Grace17 said:

 

Pathetic

 

You expect him to throw 9 shutout innings every game or something? Chill. Kershaw had similar numbers in a few starts at AA the year before his call up. Giolitos stuff is far from "pathetic". So he had a hard time commanding his breaking stuff last night...he's also had some dominant starts recently including vs an offensively loaded Akron team. And his curve is elite when on. Watch his BBs but realize oftentimes in minors these guys are asked by coaches to work on specific pitches that they're less comfortable with certain times around the order and will have an off night here and there. Overall he still has solid numbers, despite the rough start to season when he was regularly pitching in crappy weather and struggled with command. 

I'm sure there's someone in your league who will give you great value for him if you're looking to sell. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Letitbe793 said:

 

You expect him to throw 9 shutout innings every game or something? Chill. Kershaw had similar numbers in a few starts at AA the year before his call up. Giolitos stuff is far from "pathetic". So he had a hard time commanding his breaking stuff last night...he's also had some dominant starts recently including vs an offensively loaded Akron team. And his curve is elite when on. Watch his BBs but realize oftentimes in minors these guys are asked by coaches to work on specific pitches that they're less comfortable with certain times around the order and will have an off night here and there. Overall he still has solid numbers, despite the rough start to season when he was regularly pitching in crappy weather and struggled with command. 

I'm sure there's someone in your league who will give you great value for him if you're looking to sell. 

 

I hope you are right. But expect him to shutout ever time? No, but to be dominate in exactly 4 out of his 14 starts is not something to be overly encouraged about. Let me repeat that, 4 of 14 starts.  Oh and a 2:1 K/BB ratio? Yeah, really setting the world on fire for a 22 year old in AA. He's not even the best pitcher on his AA team. 

 

Face it, he's underperformed this year. No amount of rationalization will change that fact. And no, nobody will take him in my league, we play to win year in and year out, a very high buy in will do that. 

Edited by Grace17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Grace17 said:

 

I hope you are right. But expect him to shutout ever time? No, but to be dominate in exactly 4 out of his 14 starts is not something to be overly encouraged about. Let me repeat that, 4 of 14 starts.  Oh and a 2:1 K/BB ratio? Yeah, really setting the world on fire for a 22 year old in AA. He's not even the best pitcher on his AA team. 

 

Face it, he's underperformed this year. No amount of rationalization will change that fact. And no, nobody will take him in my league, we play to win year in and year out, a very high buy in will do that. 

 

 

There's no minor league pitcher with as high a ceiling as Giolito and his makeup, raw stuff and build all point to him eventually becoming an ace. Calling him pathetic is laughable. What ace doesn't have some growing pains in the minors? 

Going into last nights start he had allowed 2 runs or less in 8 straight starts with an ERA of 1.70 and 52 strikeouts in 47.2 innings....I don't see many other pitchers in the high minors having stretches like that. Just be patient with him and I think you'll be rewarded and have the guy everyone in your league wants in a year or 2. 

Edited by phizzics
Let's keep the personal comments out of the discussion.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Letitbe793 said:

Man I love playing fantasy with people who have knee jerk reactions after one start like you. 

 

There's no minor league pitcher with as high a ceiling as Giolito and his makeup, raw stuff and build all point to him eventually becoming an ace. Calling him pathetic is laughable. What ace doesn't have some growing pains in the minors? 

Going into last nights start he had allowed 2 runs or less in 8 straight starts with an ERA of 1.70 and 52 strikeouts in 47.2 innings....I don't see many other pitchers in the high minors having stretches like that. Just be patient with him and I think you'll be rewarded and have the guy everyone in your league wants in a year or 2. 

 

I hope you are right.  Unfortunately, it is getting to the point where I have to decide whether or not to keep this guy for 17.  As I am currently in playoff position, I have a chance to win this year.  If he was killing it I would be much easier to stomach the NA hit right now. In fact,with the way the Nats rotation is going, unless he can get those BB% down, I don't even see him as a major league pitcher next year.  That's concerning for a guy who was quoted about as "If Lucas Giolito isn’t in the majors by June then something has gone wrong, a scout tells Jayson Stark of ESPN"

 

I went through this with Archie Bradley in 13-14 and I had the same people like you yelling at me. So it is possible my past experience is clouding my judgement. I hope you are right, but this isn't my first experience with the #1 pitching prospect.

Edited by phizzics
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dark One said:

Nope, especially after that last outing. If they need a replacement in the rotation, I think it's far more likely they'd give Austin Voth or Reynaldo Lopez a chance before Giolito.

The Nats broadcasters seem to be leaning towards Voth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...