NBC Sports Edge Forums

Would you like this league setup?

Kyleagles

I am starting a new keeper league and have 12 very devoted guys. Here would be the settings. I am looking for any advice on rule changes, or things that have been forgotten. Thanks!

Draft:

Auction Nomination order chosen randomly.

Keepers:

Yes/ with option to keep 0,1,2, or 3.

If using a keeper that keeper will subtract a draft pick from the following year. ie: I keep three players for next year. Next years draft I will lose my draft picks in round 7,6,5. If I keep those same players for another year I lose 6,5,4. Every time a player is kept the draft pick lost goes up. So If I keep 3 for next year and I lose 7,6,5. The following year If I only keep one of the same keepers, Say the person I kept instead of a 6th round pick, I would lose a 5th this year. Every time you keep a new keeper, he goes back to the 7th round.

Eample:

2013-14

I keep: A.J. Green, Matt Forte, Andruw Luck

2014-15

I lose my picks in round 7,6,5. Green being my 5th, forte my 6th and luck my 7th.

I keep Luck again

2015-16

I lose my pick in round 6 because of keeping luck twice.

This would go on until I decided to no longer keep luck, or until I lost my 1st round pick. After losing my first round pick for luck, I could not keep him anymore and he would become available in the following draft.

Every draft from here on out will be standard draft in reverse order of standings. So the last place team will have first pick next year.

We will be able to trade draft picks as well.

1=20 passing yards

.5= completion

-.5=incomplete pass

1=10 rushing/receiving yards

1=reception

6=passing td

6=receiving/rushing td

-2=fumble

-2=int

2=2pt conversion

Each PAT Made (PAT)1

Each PAT Missed (PATM)-2

FG Made (0-39 yards) (FG0)3

FG Made (40-49 yards) (FG40)4

FG Made (50+ yards) (FG50)5

FG Missed (0-39 yards) (FGM0)-2

Each Sack (SK)2

Interception Return TD (INTTD)6

Fumble Return TD (FRTD)6

Blocked Punt or FG return for TD (BLKKRTD)6

Blocked Punt, PAT or FG (BLKK)2

Each Interception (INT)3

Each Fumble Recovered (FR)3

Each Safety (SF)4

4th down stop=2

0 points allowed (PA0)10

1-6 points allowed (PA1)8

7-13 points allowed (PA7)6

14-17 points allowed (PA14)4

18-21 points allowed (PA18)2

28-34 points allowed (PA28)0

35-45 points allowed (PA35)-2

46+ points allowed (PA46)-4

Positions:

1 QB/ 2 Rb/ 3 Wr/ 1 Te/ 1 Flex/ 1 K/ 1 Def/ 5 Bench/ 2 IR

Trades:

Trades will be examined by the commissioner and co-commissioner. If they are thought to be unfair,illegal, or collusion, they will be put to a vote. Majority vote wins. Neither of the two trading parties has a vote. The commissioner will be tie breaker.

If both commissioners think the trade is fair. It will be put through ASAP. If anyone has evidence of an unfair trade, they should present it, before the next week is played.

If a manager trades for a player, then drops them within that week without injury, the player will be forced back onto their team for a minimum of three weeks. Whoever replaced this players spot will be dropped and available for pick up. The only way a player may be dropped after a trade is injury, or if it was made clear that this would happen before the trade was approved.

If you disagree with a trade that has been put through, you must collect votes vetoing it. The commissioners will not do so after already allowing the trade. This most also be done before that weeks game.

Waiver System:

Waivers will be done by bidding. Every team will be given $100 in their budget. This is for the year and will not reset. The highest bid on the player wins. No other manager can see how much your bid is. And this will not be an auction. Highest bid wins. There is no trading this money. You either use it or you don't. If you run out you may only pickup free agents who have cleared waivers.

If you pick up a waiver player or free agent. They must stay on your team for at least one week before dropping them. If you do drop them they will be put back on your team for a week and you will lose $10 from your waiver budget.

Entry fee:

The entry fee is $20. There will be $10 given out to the team with the most points for that week. There will $50 to the winner for the winner of the league and $20 to second place. Once you have paid your entry fee there is no refund. If you quit you will not get your money back!

Roster management

You may ask the commissioner to set your lineup if you cannot. However if you fail to make changes in your lineup for two consecutive weeks, you will be giving up your team and will not be given a refund of your entry fee. If you fail to set your lineup for one week, meaning injured payers are in active positions or bye week players are left in, you will lose $10 off your waiver budget.

All other traditional rules will be kept the same. They will be highlighted on the website used in this years league.

To be honest, I skimmed through because I didn't feel like reading everything, but here are a few takeaways that I had.

1. You said auction in the first section, but your keeper rules suggest a regular snake draft system.

2. If you do keepers in a snake draft format, why would it be arbitrarily rounds 7, 6, and 5? I prefer rules like my leagues where you keep a player in the round they were drafted last year (i.e. if I drafted AP in round 3, I keep him in round 3 this year, 2 next year, etc).

3. I feel like I wouldn't care much about your league if I paid $20 and only won $50 for the championship. If you're going to do weekly payouts, you should up the fee to at least $50. The championship should pay out a lot more than the weekly wins.

4. If you have good judgment and trust your co-commish, just do commish rules on all trades. Vetos and voting just cause problems.

5. You said you have 12 very devoted guys. If they can't set a line up for a week, then that's on them. Having you set a lineup could lead to "oh why would you start him? Clearly it should've been him" type situations and will cause issues. If they win with injured players, they win. If they lose that week because they didn't set a proper lineup, they lose.

Just my opinion. Do with it as you will.

Its a lot to read I know. It is auction for the first year. Then it goes to snake based on reversed standings.

We did 7,6,5 because we are starting off auction, and the rules you suggested wont work with auction because jamaal charles could be there until the third round.

The money is small because I am playing those of little means.

Ok I agree with the commish thing, but I was afraid some might not like it. But I believe it is best to just take control as well.

Finally, I would net set for them on my own opinion. I would only do it if they told me who to start. So if they didnt have access I would do it for them.

I don't get losing the draft pick in an auction. Doesn't seem like much of a penalty. And I agree with Ditka, if you are going the snake draft route, either you should lose the same draft slot you drafted your keeper in the prior year (IE: I keep Megatron, I loose a first round pick since that's probably where I got him) or you do something simple like you keep 1 player you lose a first rounder, 2 players, loose a first and second rounder, etc.

I don't get losing the draft pick in an auction. Doesn't seem like much of a penalty. And I agree with Ditka, if you are going the snake draft route, either you should lose the same draft slot you drafted your keeper in the prior year (IE: I keep Megatron, I loose a first round pick since that's probably where I got him) or you do something simple like you keep 1 player you lose a first rounder, 2 players, loose a first and second rounder, etc.

I like the idea of one player lose the first round. But maybe backwards? Shouldnt keeping one player make you lose a 3rd. and if you keep 3 you lose round 1-3?

I like the idea of one player lose the first round. But maybe backwards? Shouldnt keeping one player make you lose a 3rd. and if you keep 3 you lose round 1-3?

I don't think you understand what we're saying. It doesn't matter how many players you set to keep. If I draft TY Hilton in the 6th, AP in the 1st, and Eddie Lacy in the 3rd, then I lose my 6th, 1st, and 3rd round picks next year. Do you get what we're saying?

I also don't understand why you would do an auction draft the first year and then switch to snake. I would go with one or the other.

I don't think you understand what we're saying. It doesn't matter how many players you set to keep. If I draft TY Hilton in the 6th, AP in the 1st, and Eddie Lacy in the 3rd, then I lose my 6th, 1st, and 3rd round picks next year. Do you get what we're saying?

I also don't understand why you would do an auction draft the first year and then switch to snake. I would go with one or the other.

I understand completely. We are all starting off in this league new. The only fair way to start is auction. Then we are switching to standard snake. That way whoever came in last has the first selection next year. That way the teams will even out over time.

Traditionally I would do it exactly as you described. But i cannot because of starting off in an auction.

I understand completely. We are all starting off in this league new. The only fair way to start is auction. Then we are switching to standard snake. That way whoever came in last has the first selection next year. That way the teams will even out over time.

Traditionally I would do it exactly as you described. But i cannot because of starting off in an auction.

Then why not stay as an auction keeper league? You can do this by losing the dollar value of your keeper or dollar value plus $5 if you want to up the cost. Eg. Megatron gets kept and his cost the previous year was $35. To keep him his owner loses $35 off of his initial budget entering the auction in Year 2 or you could do dollar value plus $5 and he would lose $40 to keep Megatron.

Then why not stay as an auction keeper league? You can do this by losing the dollar value of your keeper or dollar value plus $5 if you want to up the cost. Eg. Megatron gets kept and his cost the previous year was $35. To keep him his owner loses $35 off of his initial budget entering the auction in Year 2 or you could do dollar value plus $5 and he would lose $40 to keep Megatron.

Some in our league have never done an auction. And they are afraid that they might not do so well. So I want the snake for next year so if they dont do well, they can make up for it.

This caught my eye(in another sub-forum =/)...

If you pick up a waiver player or free agent. They must stay on your team for at least one week before dropping them. If you do drop them they will be put back on your team for a week and you will lose $10 from your waiver budget.

It looks like you're trying to keep people from juggling FAs to keep them on waivers. I've played in 2 leagues that limited the number of waiver / FA pickups per week to try and control that with mixed results. One league was fun and it added challenge... the other (last year) there were several players that just hated it and it's been voted down for next year. Forcing adds to be kept for a week could have some minor problems (especially with more Thursday Night games), but might be adjustable. Maybe something like 'must be on the roster for at least one of their teams games.'. That penalty seems heavy handed though, Force the player back on the roster OR lose 10$ seems a lot more reasonable, or just eliminate the $ hit. $10 out of a limited FA budget mid season could tank a team and might have the same effect as kicking the manager out of the league all together. I could certainly see enough players getting so bent outta shape over it that they howl all season long.

1. Get real saucy. Eliminate the waiver wire. If you have 12 devoted people, it seriously makes for an awesome and intense league.

My league everyone is a FA. If I'm watching a Tampa Bay Bucs game and I see Doug Martin grab his knee and go down to the ground in pain I run to my comp and pickup Mike James as fast as I can. About 6 of the people in my league get together for BBQs about 1 or 2x a month watching all the games and it gets pretty fun IMO.

Now you don't have to worry about people destroying the waiver wire my grabbing all the best Defenses and just tossing them back to put em on waivers. If you don't plan on doing Auction league for the duration of the league I don't believe you should have a FAAB for FAs / Waiver Wire guys. (I Know they aren't necessarily hand in hand and one can be done w/out the other, but that's just how I feel)

2. Also, don't pay out weekly winners all the prize money, that's lame. 2nd place should get more than just their money back and 1st should get way more than 2.5x their buy in. Put an add/drop/trade fee on the waiver wire. In my league it's $1.00 per move, that pot gets up to around $200.00 before the season ends. Then we give ALL that money to the regular season points winner. If $1.00 per move is too much, then just drop the price to something like $ 0.50 per move and make the first 10 free.

3. Finally... If I did your math correctly 12 x 20 = 240; 1st and 2nd = 50 + 20 = 70; 240 - 70 = 170 / 10 = 17. This means you are playing fantasy football for 17 weeks I am assuming. Don't do that. Rookies do that. Fantasy football championships need to be played in week 16 (game 15 of the regular season) with the season ending before the final game. The final game is a joke. If my work horse all season long was Jamall Charles he wouldn't have played in my championship match in your league last year because his coach rested him, that's a joke. Too many good teams (where most of the good players hang out) rest their guys in week 17. Don't make that your championship week.

4. What everyone else said

I actually like the waiver wire. We switched from FA to WW last season because we had two people who would wake up at 3am or whatever time the FAs unlocked for the week to grab the top guys. I mean, I suppose that's a sound strategy for those truly dedicated to the extent that they say, "Who cares how tired I'll be at work tomorrow, I'm grabbing this guy!", but for normal people it's a bit extreme and unbalanaced. Implementing a WW fixed that for us.

I do 100% agree with point #3 tho - Fantasy championship needs to be week 16 of the NFL season, not week 17. Your season-long studs won't help when they're benched in the usually-meaningless final NFL game.

-As others have suggested I would stick with one draft method, seems overly complicated to start one way and switch.

-I like making the first team out of the playoffs the first pick for next year. People tanking can really screw up the rest of the league.

-Def keep the waiver wire

-Nix any trade voting

-I'd want to just play winner take all with a 20 dollar buy in. Seems like too small amount for weekly payouts.

Archived