NBC Sports Edge Forums

Stroman or Bauer?

golden eagles

Wow. Great question. Just wondering the same thing. I think they are similar type talents so many other factors come into play. Opportunity, Park, Division, innings cap..... I think it's a coin flip. I slightly lean toward Bauer based on division but honestly, I could change my mind from start to start....or even pitch to pitch.

Wow. Great question. Just wondering the same thing. I think they are similar type talents so many other factors come into play. Opportunity, Park, Division, innings cap..... I think it's a coin flip. I slightly lean toward Bauer based on division but honestly, I could change my mind from start to start....or even pitch to pitch.

I disagree entirely that they are similar talents.

Stroman is 5' 9" and will be fighting an uphill battle for the next few years to prove he belongs in a major league starting pitcher. Many believe he still will end up being a Closer, not a starter. He's got good stuff, good control, and profiles as a safer, but mid-rotation starter.

On the entire opposite end of the spectrum, Bauer profiles as an Ace, with ace stuff. However, his career big league numbers and control are huge red flags. Many believe he has turned a corner this year, and he's a riskier play, but the upside isn't even in the same ballpark as Stroman's.

If I have to pick one on the WW, I go with the high upside risk in Bauer. Even if Stroman breaks into the AL East and pitches well, I'm assuming he's going to put up modest numbers, around league average across the board. Bauer could be back in the minors in three weeks, but also has a far greater chance of being an impact fantasy player this season.

Long term probably Bauer as his stuff could be ace like...,but predicting pitchers development is obviously far from a science. ESPN just had a list of impact rookies for this year and Stroman was one spot ahead of Bauer. So who knows, I think it's too close to call. I like both of them.

Archived