NBC Sports Edge Forums

Thoughts on this Blockbuster Offer?

Ragnaroker

I'm sure at least some of you have read the couple of posts I've made about possibly moving Goldy, I've gotten mixed responses to one previously, but I've also received this new offer. If I can't work something out this time, I'm going to sit tight with Goldy.

In my 16 team dynasty league (keep whoever, for however long you want) I was offered

I give: Paul Goldschmidt, Carlos Santana, Jonathan Gray, Lucas Duda

I get: Edwin Encarnacion, Matt Wieters, Zack Greinke, Domonic Brown

I could also probably play around with excluding Santana from the deal (Wieters as well then)... Another possibility is maybe getting Rios instead of Brown. I kind of view this like this:

Goldy > E5

Santana = Wieters (ish)

Gray < Greinke

Duda < Brown

Obviously this is a simplistic way of looking at it, and Goldy is the best player in the deal, but Greinke is a fantasy ace, and E5 should turn it around right? Brown is kind of free since Duda is a throw in. I like Gray's upside, I could probably see if he would accept the deal without him, but I'm not sure if it would get done.

Thoughts? Other variants of this deal I should counter with? Leave a link, and thanks in advance!

I agree with your assessment mostly, except that:

Goldy >> Encarnacion

Gray <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Greinke (even if Gray is ever as good as Greinke, the ballpark matters a ton)

Basically, I look at it as Goldy for Encarnacion and Greinke. The rest of the trade is noise and small potatoes. If E5 were hitting up to his potential, this is a fair deal. Given that Goldy and E5 are both off to slow starts, this is a reasonable deal.

However, in Dynasty, Goldy's age matters, a lot, vs. E5 and Greinke. I think you can and should ask for a bit more. But if you are desperate for SP, it's an OK move.

As has been said, I wouldn't make the deal because Goldy and Santana hold a decent amount more value than their counterparts in EE and Wieters. With that said, I'd very much encourage you to trade Jonathan Gray. If he played for any other team in the league I'd say hold because his stuff is electric, but that ballpark just ruins prospects.

i wouldnt do it. encarnacion will still be good, but i see a decline and i don't think greinke will be that much better than gray this year and in the future. i'm very high on gray and i think santana is worth more than wieters, higher upside.

it seems pretty good and i agree with your view of nabbing e5 along with a fantasy ace like greinke.. however, only do it if you can get Rios instead of dominic brown... I have brown and hes horrendous, you dont want him trust me lol

Thanks for the help on mine. With the way your Dynasty league works I definately don't like the trade from your standpoint. Goldschmidt is worth more than all 4 of those players you'd be getting back. Goldy is too valuable especially in a Dynasty league where you can keep him as long as you want. You need to be receiving top 5 value back at least. E5 is one dimensional whereas Goldy is a 5 cat beast. Hold Goldschmidt and build around him.

Archived