NBC Sports Edge Forums

Rotoworld's/Matthew Pouliot's Monthly Top 300 Overall

Honestly, I haven't logged into this forum in probably two years. But I went through the ridiculous captcha and forgotten password just to write this post. I don't really delve into forum conversations anymore, I have retired and become a full time lurker, but this thread is really annoying. Anyway, I'll keep it short.

Pouliot is damn good writer, one of the very best. (In my opinion he, Jeff Sullivan and Bob Schenks are neck and neck for my favorite). He is seemingly a good guy, well respected and professional. He is right much more than his is wrong historically and should be given the benefit of the doubt. Of course, I don't agree with all of his opinions, but his in depth research and attention to detail make his projections/rankings at least worth considering.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, I haven't logged into this forum in probably two years. But I went through the ridiculous captcha and forgotten password just to write this post. I don't really delve into forum conversations anymore, I have retired and become a full time lurker, but this thread is really annoying. Anyway, I'll keep it short.

Pouliot is damn good writer, one of the very best. (In my opinion he, Jeff Sullivan and Bob Schenks are neck and neck for my favorite). He is seemingly a good guy, well respected and professional. He is right much more than his is wrong historically and should be given the benefit of the doubt. Of course, I don't agree with all of his opinions, but his in depth research and attention to detail make his projections/rankings at least worth considering.

Welcome back. I think these lists are designed to get reactions. Period

Thanks :). They may be designed to solicit reaction but its just annoying to see post about "mercy killing" and calling him an "idiot". Its just so over the top. The list are intended to create debate and discussion, not rude empty name calling. Just a personal pet peeve. Maybe its my age showing, but I just can't understand why its necessary to debase another person while discussion fantasy baseball rankings.

Thanks :). They may be designed to solicit reaction but its just annoying to see post about "mercy killing" and calling him an "idiot". Its just so over the top. The list are intended to create debate and discussion, not rude empty name calling. Just a personal pet peeve. Maybe its my age showing, but I just can't understand why its necessary to debase another person while discussion fantasy baseball rankings.

I agree. Except for Skip Bayless. Screw him.

Welcome to the internet

The reaction from some seems a bit harsh. Perhaps they aren't considering the way in which a list like this is most useful.

An earlier post suggested that a savvy manager will know better than to buy into these rankings. Perhaps a savvy manager also knows that very smart people will often broadly disagree about the value of a lot of players.

And that it's always helpful to get an idea of what other smart, well researched people are thinking, even if you strongly disagree.

He is trying to explain his Fernandez rating on his twitter. Said he is only 7th rated SP because he is the weakest bet to top 160 innings going forward.

Considering he went over 170, there seems to be no validity to this argument.

The JoFer fanboys will waste no time resorting to name calling when it comes to their beloved pitcher. It's their way or the highway.

Not a "fanboy." Tell me how anyone who knows baseball can rank him 7th SP. The fact that he seems to argue there may be an innings limit (despite him going 170+ last year, meaning he's likely to 200+) on him shows he doesn't know what he's talking about here. I'm not calling anyone names. There's just no reasoning here.

Get a sense of humor buddy.

"He's likely to be 200+".... Either you don't know what the word "likely" means, or you are banking on a team mismanaging a young phenom pitcher. I think 200 is the absolute max we could see, so saying "200+ is likely" just screams fanboy to me.

Just my opinion, of course.

"He's likely to be 200+".... Either you don't know what the word "likely" means, or you are banking on a team mismanaging a young phenom pitcher. I think 200 is the absolute max we could see, so saying "200+ is likely" just screams fanboy to me.

He threw 172 last year. In danger of reaching 160 makes sense to you?

200+ means 200 or more. Even if you're dumb enough to believe in the Verducci Effect, he would be able to throw 202 this year.

Really not sure where you're coming from. Why do facts = fanboy to you?

200+ means 200 or more. Even if you're dumb enough to believe in the Verducci Effect, he would be able to throw 202 this year.

Maybe he meant 160 ROS since he's already at 46? Seems like a reasonable assumption unless I just didn't read it right.

Depends where the Marlins are in contention wise. If they fall back off and become the Marlins we've known. They will probably abruptly shut him down early.. Regardless of specific innings. Since there will be nothing to play for and no point in risking the most valuable arm in the franchise towards meaningless games..

Depends where the Marlins are in contention wise. If they fall back off and become the Marlins we've known. They will probably abruptly shut him down early.. Regardless of specific innings. Since there will be nothing to play for and no point in risking the most valuable arm in the franchise towards meaningless games..

I'd bet that Loria will want him starting as many home games as he can get. They might limit his innings per start or use a tighter pitch count as he closes in on 200 ip but an early shutdown just cause the Marlins are out of it wouldn't be Loria's style

i find it wierd how Fister rose from 22 to 20 in a month without even making a start... i own shares in 3 out of 4 leagues, but i cant agree with that

I actually think injured pitchers should move up over the course of the month simply because they are closer to being ready to play. In early April, Fister would only be available for 80% of the year. Now, hopefully it's 100% of the year. It makes sense he would move up. Though I would certainly have disagreed that he was as high as he was in April in the first place.

I actually think injured pitchers should move up over the course of the month simply because they are closer to being ready to play. In early April, Fister would only be available for 80% of the year. Now, hopefully it's 100% of the year. It makes sense he would move up. Though I would certainly have disagreed that he was as high as he was in April in the first place.

but i dont think Fister's lat problem was until after his preseason ranks were out. His lat strain popped up after the Aussie games but before the US opener

but i dont think Fister's lat problem was until after his preseason ranks were out. His lat strain popped up after the Aussie games but before the US opener

Got. I didn't realize that. Makes sense.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived