NBC Sports Edge Forums

All-Time Studs and Busts

mrfrood

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oliver Perez and Shane Spencer. Shane had a great month when he was called up and never did much after.

Oliver Perez was overworked as a youngster. That's on his managers.

I think its a little too soon to call some of these players busts.

Like Elijah Dukes... He can still come around and have great value for a fantasy team.

Dukes was tooled up. I had totally forgotten that in '08 dude went 13/13 with an elite .386 OBP in 81 games. He had elite plate discipline. He could have been a hell of an offensive player if he wasn't psychotic.

Luke Hochevar

Look who he was taken over in the 2006 draft :blink:

http://en.wikipedia...._Baseball_Draft

There were some colossal misses in that draft. Hochevar, Reynolds, Lincoln, Miller, and Rowell all in the top 10. I don't think Rowell made it past AA ball before calling it quits. It illustrates how hesitant teams are to take high school arms. Kershaw fell to 7 and had low upside college arms like Hochevar, Reynolds, and Lincoln taken ahead of him. I can see why Miller was selected that high. Dude had nasty stuff coming out of UNC, but never was able to harness it as a starter.

JD Drew was supposed to be the next Mickey Mantle

JD Drew was supposed to be the next Mickey Mantle

Drew just couldn't stay healthy. The guy was a hell of a hitter when he actually played. He had a lifetime .278/.384/.489 line with 242 bombs. The one year he played 140+ games (2004) he had a 1.005 OPS and 8.1 WAR. It's a shame that guy couldn't stay healthy and didn't play with a little more passion and energy. I have to think he probably could have gutted through some of his injuries, but he wasn't exactly the most intense player in recent memory.

I don't get how people can throw Bryce Harper, Trevor Bauer, Jason Heyward up here.

Shouldn't there be some minimum age requirement to be considered a bust? Alex Gordon would like to know.

Juan Samuel. During his first 4 seasons (ages 23 to 26) he had the look of a mega superstar as a blue chip 2B.

Over those first 4 seasons he averaged .268 with 102 runs scored, 35 doubles, 15 triples, 19 HRs, 80 RBI and 50 SBs.

His age 26 season he blossomed and hit 28 HRs with 113 runs, 100 RBI and 35 bags. He fell off a cliff the next year (1988) and never topped 13 HRs, 74 runs or 67 RBI while hanging around another 11 years.

Archived