NBC Sports Edge Forums

All-Time Studs and Busts

mrfrood

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indians bias...

These two were all injuries.

Adam Miller, Indians SP. Something like 11-13 separate surgeries on his throwing arm/hand.

Jaret Wright, Indians SP. 1997 at 21yrs, made first ever start at AA to starting game 7 of the WS.

Jeremy Guthrie

Kevin Kouzmanoff

Both sides of the coin. Let's compare Nolan Ryan age 44 against Kerry Wood age 21

Ryan: 173 IP, 10.6 K/9, 5.3 H/9

Wood: 167 IP, 12.6 K/9, 6.3 H/9

They each came within one strikeout of having twice as many Ks and hits allowed. Only two pitchers have every accomplished that in baseball history.

Ryan was a true freak of nature who gives hope to all of us 40-somethings. Kerry Wood was a true freak of nature who reminds us just what otherworldly talent looks like (go back and watch clips of K #19 and K #20 if you want to be a true believer).

BTW, Kerry Wood is still a hero to me. TJ survivor, missed almost two full years with injury, remade himself as a closer and was a darn good reliever for 2007-2011. Then in 2012 he got hurt again and retired, mid-season, on his own terms. His last pitch was an emotional farewell.

Haha forgot about Jorge Cantu.

The Mets Second baseman was a huge bust...Kazua Matsui. That guy came over from Japan to be absolutely awful.

Just a few more names...

Kosuke Fukudome

Mike Pelfrey (sort of)

Oliver Perez (Already mentioned, but wanted to emphasize how much of a bust he was).

You know what's funny though is just thinking of the name Carlos Gomez. Two years ago, this guy fit into one of these two categories. And it certainly didn't involve the word "stud". Totally different story now

Bryce Harper

A little early to be suggesting Harper is a bust, no?

Well he's certainly not the 2nd coming of Babe Ruth everyone claimed he'd be... Was never even the #1 prospect Trout always was ahead of him and got no love until he came and beasted in 2012 .... sure Harper is still a baby and could be a very solid player... hell maybe even a HOF but i really don't see it happening i could see a go that fluctuates between .260-.300 avg per season with 20-30 homer upside maybe a year or 2 busts out and gets 40 but nothing more than that.... and sure that is a very good player but this man was given hype that he would be a 50 homer threat every year and go down at the GOAT.... he will never live up those hopes in my opinion thus he's a bust.... also can he stay injured for once.... what's talent if you can never be healthy enough to use it just adds more to his bustness

Both sides of the coin. Let's compare Nolan Ryan age 44 against Kerry Wood age 21

Ryan: 173 IP, 10.6 K/9, 5.3 H/9

Wood: 167 IP, 12.6 K/9, 6.3 H/9

They each came within one strikeout of having twice as many Ks and hits allowed. Only two pitchers have every accomplished that in baseball history.

Ryan was a true freak of nature who gives hope to all of us 40-somethings. Kerry Wood was a true freak of nature who reminds us just what otherworldly talent looks like (go back and watch clips of K #19 and K #20 if you want to be a true believer).

BTW, Kerry Wood is still a hero to me. TJ survivor, missed almost two full years with injury, remade himself as a closer and was a darn good reliever for 2007-2011. Then in 2012 he got hurt again and retired, mid-season, on his own terms. His last pitch was an emotional farewell.

Awesome post. Loved Kerry Wood growing up as well. Electric stuff. Was fun to watch when he was on. What might have been...

Nolan Ryan really was a freak of nature. It's hard to believe he never won a Cy Young. Also hard to stomach, quite frankly. What were voters thinking?! Especially the year he broke Koufax's strikeout record - and he had to face the DH (something Koufax did not have to do).

victor zambrano. not that i ever thought hed be a stud but he would always have a start or two that u thought o hey maybe hes not so bad. and then.....wins the triple crown for walks, balks and hit batsmen i believe

Thread title should be: Players that busted and/or stuck around. I wasn't looking for all time studs.

I'm thinking Dustin McGowan for sticking around. I thought he was done.

Russell Martin for bust. He looked good his first few years.

I couldn't think of a more concise topic at the time. I'm glad we got some good answers in here.

Studs:

Mo - Became the best CL of all time based off primarily one pitch

Dustin Pedroia - I am sure a lot of people didn't expect the career he's had

Jose Bautista - Look how many teams he bounced around with before getting to Toronto; 182 HRs since Sept 2009

Big Papi - Look dead to rights after Minnesota cut him; became at boardline HOF in Boston

Josh Hamilton - Looked like one of the biggest busts of all time until he got clean and got another chance

Busts:

Delmon Young

Cameron Maybin

Justin Upton (has been good but not near what people were expecting from him)

Dustin Ackley

Tim Beckham

Gordon Beckham

Bryan Bullington

Matt Bush

Most of the 1st round in the 2007 was terrible...2/3 of the first round has either become a bench player or MR, gotten a cup of coffee, or never made the majors

Luke Hochevar

Greg Reynolds

Brandon Morrow

Andrew Miller

The Rice pitching trio of Humber, Townsend, and Niemann

Archived