NBC Sports Edge Forums

Favorite "What Ifs" of all time in the MLB

mrfrood

What if the Expos didn't trade Lee, Sizemore and Phillips in a ridiculous trade for Colon?

Probably wouldn't have helped the team stay around unfortunately, but the Nats could've been well off.

And kept Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What if Oakland didn't trade Carlos Gonzalez and Huston Street for 93 games of Matt Holliday, which they then traded for three prospects, the most promising being Brett Wallace (yes, he of the 105 Ks in 262 ABs in his last major league stint).

What if the Expos didn't trade Lee, Sizemore and Phillips in a ridiculous trade for Colon?

Probably wouldn't have helped the team stay around unfortunately, but the Nats could've been well off.

Minaya's legacy is everlasting

What if Oakland didn't trade Carlos Gonzalez and Huston Street for 93 games of Matt Holliday, which they then traded for three prospects, the most promising being Brett Wallace (yes, he of the 105 Ks in 262 ABs in his last major league stint).

Man, Brett Wallace was traded a lot before he ever made it to the big leagues.

Man, Brett Wallace was traded a lot before he ever made it to the big leagues.

He's made his way around, that's for sure. I googled him to look up those K stats, and little did I know he is currently playing only a few minutes away from me in Buffalo. Maybe I should quit working the summer away and catch a couple games :)

What if baseball......was never invented

Honestly something I ponder.. If you took one of the major sports away, how many of those athletic freaks would have started playing another sport at a young age and become a star in it? Hell, some guys can develop into potential stars playing multiple sports at a time up through college. Wonder who would translate the best to other sports (besides the obvious guys who played multiple in college).

Honestly something I ponder.. If you took one of the major sports away, how many of those athletic freaks would have started playing another sport at a young age and become a star in it? Hell, some guys can develop into potential stars playing multiple sports at a time up through college. Wonder who would translate the best to other sports (besides the obvious guys who played multiple in college).

Billy Butler would make for a decent guard

Billy Butler would make for a decent guard

Yeah I heard he has good handles and is lethal beyond the arc

What if Goose Gossage shaved his stache?

What is that ball never bounced off Cansecos head for a HR?

What if Chris Davis is the biggest fantasy bust of all time?

What if Kevin Quackenbush and Cal Clutterbuck ran for President and VP? -- I love the idea of a Quackenbush-Clutterbuck ticket!

gossage31.jpg

What if someone in the Hall of Fame was found to have used steroids during their playing career? What if everyone became more open minded to steroids and let the people that deserve it (Bonds, Clemens) in? What if steroids weren't banned?

What if Hank Aaron played home games at Candlestick and Willie Mays played in the Launching Pad?

What if in their prime they both could have payed at Coors Field (if Coors Field existed) with Reggie Jackson( also in his prime) in RF. Home games would have taken on video game status. And no steroids needed. :D

What if Chris Shelton wasnt a fluke?

What if Milwaukee allowed the bratwurst to pinch run????

What if the Philly Phanatic came out in the next brawl and shot players with the hot dog cannon??

I *SHOULD* have read the first page- I am assuming this is "fantasy what ifs?" and not just all-time MLB "what ifs?" (or at least, I assume this leans more on fantasy so I'll backtrack to pg.1 after I give the first answer that came to my mind the second I read the title to this thread)....

Instantly after seeing the thread's title, one man, two words: Bo Jackson.

The "What if?" surrounding his MLB career is more of a bigger question than that to what he could have done on an NFL field had he not blown his hip out as he did. It's such a shame. Granted, I'm sure a lot of members here go that far back, to the point where keeping score on paper/strat-o-matic and whatnot was at the least around when Bo was playing, and some were probably already more than invested in their fantasy leagues, but I certainly wasn't into fantasy in that regard admittedly. So now I feel silly, since the one reply right above this one of mine alone mentions Chris Shelton not turning into Mark Reynolds (more or less, when you break it down- it happened to a lot of others, too- and a lot of Tigers coincidentally during that time or over a period of time leading right up to Shelton's little surge that one season somewhere around '04-'06 I think?- give or take...).

Anyway, I think I misinterpreted this, but the biggest "what if?" in MLB history (or my timeframe of WATCHING baseball- my main knowledge goes back to the '40s, late '40s at least- but watching goes back to the late '80s as far as my memories go, and how fanatical I became and the majority of my knowledge coming from the late 70s or early 1980s-onwards.

I might have some fun fantasy "whats ifs?" if that is in fact what this is about.... think I jumped the gun a bit, but no doubt in my mind at all.... Bo Jackson's hip and what if he had a healthy career and had devoted it to baseball fulltime while in his prime? That is #1 by MILES. If that is the threads main base, then the others from my generation? (Not just fantasy=relative, I mean- I'll edit or reply w/ that list next.)

What if...

- Rich Ankiel never came down with that case of the yips, and steroids or not or whatever- he remained a SP, gained on his rookie year with the absurd SO rate (at what- 19?) and meanwhile, Kerry Wood was somehow able to avoid arm injuries, leading to a many of competitive duels between the two would-be aces for years to come between the rival Cards and Cubs (Ankiel a Card; Wood a Cubbie, respectively)? That would have been wonderful just for all MLB fans, steroids keeping them healthy or not, I don't quite care anymore.... especially given THAT time frame and the usage rate then (let alone the fact it's still happening now and Ortiz, one of many loved and forgivven who were pegged, is never even really brought up anymore i.e Andy P. and a few others who played it smooth- what if those guys weren't so forgiven unlike every other roider in existence, more or less, save Canseco who everyone loves?

What if Pujols resigned 10 yrs in STL?

What if Prior remained healthy- and Carpenter didn't need 2- or was it 3?!- TJ surgeries, from BJ days to the time with the Cardinals and 2 Cy Youngs (correct me if mistaking?). What if his potential was even more than it wound up, as his talent was never in question, but injuries always a nagging issue? What if Halladay and Carpenter came up with the Jays, developed accordingly, and Clemens stayed over there while in his prime/juiced? Would we have had the best 3-man of the 90s next to Maddux/Smoltz/Glavine?

What if Bautista is pegged for a steroid/PED/HGH test? Pujols, or any gigantic name for that matter. Really, anyone who is a gigantic power hitter- the more surprising and/or famous, the worse the ramifications in the press obviously- and more infamous or discredited a player may become moving forwardl if success is just recently found for player X, and how will his fans/teams' fanbase (and team?!) theoretically react to a positive on a superstar/all-star from 2014? Then again, Melky is having a great year, and a down year for Braun or not, he lead the NL in voting- and I think Melky was voted into a starting spot or held the lead for quite some time. All of that being said, I think MLB fans might be more forgiving than I once though- or truly miss offense.....more than even the MLB daytime crew who wants to ban the shift realizes.

What if Steve Bartman was never born?

What if the Red Sox don't come back, down 3-0, and wind up swept 4-0 that year to the Yanks? Does Damon jump ship? Do they win 2 more? etc. etc.

What if Mike Trout tests positive at any point in the next year (over the course of a full season pro-rated from tomorrow, moving forward and into the offseason/next season to this point in time)? His neck looks like Brian Urlacher's and I'm started to get fishy, with reports of High School HGH use well on the rise- and I love Trout.

What if Ichiro came over 3 years earlier? 2 years? 4 years...? Does anyone believe he would have challenged for Rose's record if not for spending so much time in Japan?

Had the '93 season not been shortened, what are the chances the Expos truly win the World Series- and if they had, would they still have a team?

And what if Montreal gets another team in the near-future? (As in 2-3 years?) Would they call them the Expos, and if not, what the hell would they call 'em?!

What if KG Jr. had stayed healthy his ENTIRE career, bounce from the AL to NL or not?.... :/

Please let me note I can't get the first page to load on this hotel broadband connect- please discredit, or move my post to a thread it merits if I'm following the guidelines wrong. Once I can get the main page up on this connect (running just 2 tabs w/ this as 1/2- the other the slow loader...) I will edit this post if I'm way off cue.

If Ted Williams never missed close to 5 years in the military.

I was on par then, cool- cant get the main thread up but I can't wait to read some of the posts in here, that's a good one right there (currently reading thru' "The Kid" and all I can say is this book is fantastic- Bradley Lee nails it.....fascinated w/ Williams these days and I've asked myself that same question, BUT, in addition to that one two others from that era or prior times....)

Similarly to Williams- but different reason/no time lost per se..... but a knee or two. Had Mantle only not torn up his knees- would we have had a 500/500 or more type of rare breed?....

What if Miguel Cabrera was in shape his entire career, would he have even better numbers?

Are we allowed to reply to these?

Because I've pondered this myself. Picard, my personal opinion I come to every time I debate this with myself, invisioning that thin little kid with the Marlins from 2003-2005 about? That was a kid- almost of the literally sense- aged somewhere from what, 20-24 during that time frame!? He was very small, I admit that.. and he has gotten heavier- but I think it added a lot of power and his swing is one of the sweetest to watch in baseball. I think he works with his weight well, and the ability to play 3B has become a bit more common for big men [see: Pablo Sandoval, Victor Martinez even if he's a 1B; Carlos Santana who may have slimmed down, for all I know; then there's so many others, such as Josh Donaldson, Donovan Solano who came up a C if I'm not mistaking, and of course back in the day fellas like BJ Surhoff and co., Hatteburg...etc.].... Of course, there's also a lot others who have casually made the switch from 3B or a CI or corner OF slot to C- some more graceful than others, but all quite well at least re: those I just listed, even if Solano is a poor example roll with it :P .....

In a nutshell w/ Miggy Cab? I think the weight has helped him stay healthy while his body probably takes a bit of a beating, playing as often as he does. Playing 3B while out of shape. So on and on. The guy's in his 30s if I'm not mistaking... he isn't a kid. Does he hit the weights, and has he gotten a lot bigger- and rounder? Yeah, for sure. But Jeter has gotten a lot balder, and I won't throw a rook, but Mike Trout's neck looks like it's gonna make his shirt explode any second now... his head looks a big bloated these days and it's harder to ignore lately because of how HUGE/fat it looks compared to his rookie year. So Trout's is almost odd- with Miggy, it was a gradual thing and he has kept a pretty normal frame and usually drops what offseason weight he isn't used to playing with which he brings into S/T before the season is close to beginning, so as long as he is winning triple crowns and coming close to winning 'em back to back, still in the running this year too I think?- I am not concerned about his weight and just think he was gonna get pretty big once his power numbers got better and he filled out. He looked like a kid who had a lot of projectability in his rookie year in '03 (I believe) alone. And it's not like he wasn't a prospect or came out of Left Field completely either. I think he'd be no more or less productive if he weighed less, and really don't see a guy out of weight when I look at him (personally). I see a (approx) 31-year-old man who is the best slugger in the league. Babe Ruth wasn't no pinup, after all.

willie mays missed a little more than a season because of military service. the great athletes actually serving in the military. mays could have had 700 HRs.

if they had the media like today how many great heroes would be idiots.

Archived