NBC Sports Edge Forums

Favorite "What Ifs" of all time in the MLB

mrfrood

willie mays missed a little more than a season because of military service. the great athletes actually serving in the military. mays could have had 700 HRs.

if they had the media like today how many great heroes would be idiots.

I am not a huge fan of Bleachereports write-ups, aka their slideshow reporting and that design for list format (too much damn clicking & page-to-page, picture filler b.s.). But this is a cool list, and I had thought of Mays, who they had ranked #1 actually. I was looking at this earlier after makiing my post, and reading the one about Ted, but didn't feel like posting all 25 (or however many) top-notch MLB players served when it was more like, who didn't? A lot of HOF in here:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/396077-a-salute-to-the-15-greatest-us-armed-forces-veteran-mlb-players/page/16

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What if Bo Jackson never got hurt?

I *SHOULD* have read the first page- I am assuming this is "fantasy what ifs?" and not just all-time MLB "what ifs?" (or at least, I assume this leans more on fantasy so I'll backtrack to pg.1 after I give the first answer that came to my mind the second I read the title to this thread)....

Instantly after seeing the thread's title, one man, two words: Bo Jackson.

The "What if?" surrounding his MLB career is more of a bigger question than that to what he could have done on an NFL field had he not blown his hip out as he did. It's such a shame. Granted, I'm sure a lot of members here go that far back, to the point where keeping score on paper/strat-o-matic and whatnot was at the least around when Bo was playing, and some were probably already more than invested in their fantasy leagues, but I certainly wasn't into fantasy in that regard admittedly. So now I feel silly, since the one reply right above this one of mine alone mentions Chris Shelton not turning into Mark Reynolds (more or less, when you break it down- it happened to a lot of others, too- and a lot of Tigers coincidentally during that time or over a period of time leading right up to Shelton's little surge that one season somewhere around '04-'06 I think?- give or take...).

Anyway, I think I misinterpreted this, but the biggest "what if?" in MLB history (or my timeframe of WATCHING baseball- my main knowledge goes back to the '40s, late '40s at least- but watching goes back to the late '80s as far as my memories go, and how fanatical I became and the majority of my knowledge coming from the late 70s or early 1980s-onwards.

I might have some fun fantasy "whats ifs?" if that is in fact what this is about.... think I jumped the gun a bit, but no doubt in my mind at all.... Bo Jackson's hip and what if he had a healthy career and had devoted it to baseball fulltime while in his prime? That is #1 by MILES. If that is the threads main base, then the others from my generation? (Not just fantasy=relative, I mean- I'll edit or reply w/ that list next.)

The rest is disposable and me wondering about what the main objective of the thread was still since I couldn't read beyond the posts in front of me.... but man, if one regret I ever had was what if Bo Jackson had a healthy career that ran 10+ and he committed fully to MLB (or enough to maintain his star quality, and possibly then some in cementing a legacy- may we never know :( ).

what if steroids didn't exist and McGwires and Sosa's homerun chase season didn't occur? Baseball was in a big time slump before that homerun chase brought the sport back big time. I wonder if the sport would have survived if it didn't happen

what if coffee didn't give me soo much gas?--I might drink less of it

what if being undorky gave me gas?--the world would be in massive trouble.

One for fun: What IF Sammy Sosa hit 500 of his HR (or the majority- you'll see what I mean....) on the south side, and not for the Cubs? In other words, what happens if the Sox don't give up on Sammy for George Bell (and/or whoever or whatever else?) when they did. Let's presume that he followed the same career trajectory, roiding along the way and whatnot. But for the southside, with teams that were closer to the playoffs here and there and actually had ranked among some of the tops in AL regular season wins from '90-'00 when accounting for just 1 wild card or division win in there, if I'm remembering right- if even? Just consider Frank and Sosa in a lineup together, while juiced, not taking into account for the pre-smallball years w/ Carlos Lee and the like playing for the big fly forever..... and they kind of are back to that anyhow, but so is MLB in entirety.... anywho. Kinda a funny though- what if he was over on the southside and not in Wrigley for those miserable teams so many years? Would it have even made a difference, or would he have just been passed along once Thomas needed one of his first big raises?

The what ifs are always fun.....

What if Mattingly played one more year? :/ I'm not Yankees fan, but man. That stunk.

What if Ichiro came over from Japan at 22 or 23 instead of 27?

What if the MLB implemented in International player draft or included international players in the Rule 4 draft?

To tie into the one above, what if the US and Cuba had an amicable relationship or some scenario had played out whereby Cuban players don't have to defect to get to MLB?

What if Billy Beane and Andrew Friedman had top 10 payrolls in the league?

What if Drew Barrymore doesn't run onto the field in Fever Pitch to keep Jimmy Fallon from selling his Red Sox's season tickets? Do the Red Sox still break the curse that year?

what if steroids didn't exist and McGwires and Sosa's homerun chase season didn't occur? Baseball was in a big time slump before that homerun chase brought the sport back big time. I wonder if the sport would have survived if it didn't happen

what if coffee didn't give me soo much gas?--I might drink less of it

what if being undorky gave me gas?--the world would be in massive trouble.

In addition to the McGuire/Sosa and the 'roids saving baseball/chicks dig the longball era...... what if baseball never had that strike to begin with? A lot of potential records at steak- what IF MATT WILLIAMS ROIDED HIS WAY TO FAME?! Way back in '93? (Or was that '94 and the shortened season to completion?)

Another fun one to think about... Arod, Nomar, Jeter- the trifecta of AL SS at one point... what if Jeter was the one to suffer the injuries ala Nomar, Nomar was the one who was caught juicing, legacy tarnished, leaving ARod..... well, who knows where- but his legacy being the strongest among the 3, as it originally looked to be heading.

What if David Ortiz never found out how to take donoids?

The 94 Expos to me is one of those ones that I remember it being a good story, they had the best record in baseball, etc. But...go back and look at that team, they had a great OF with Alou, Grissom and Walker, but their other 5 guys these days would probably go undrafted in most fantasy leagues: Sean Berry, Wil Cordero, Mike Lansing, Cliff Floyd (before power outbreak later - he had 4HR at the time of the strike). Pedro was not quite Pedro yet, he had the 4th highest ERA of the 5 starters at that point, still good in the 3's, but this team to me is somewhat romanticized about with claims being made Im not so sure about.

They were still 11/14 in Attendance in the NL. The AL had some really good teams, the Yankees had 70 wins by that point maybe that would of been Mattingly's year.

Some other 1994 Questions:

Matt Williams? How many HR does he hit that year, he had 43 HR when strike hit, which was 115 games in, still a 1/4 to go, he was on Maris pace.

One thing people rarely mention is that in 1994, the Rangers were leading the AL West at the time of the strike, they were 10 games under 500, if the season plays out, you probably have the worst division winning team of all time in terms of record and that was the first year of the three divisions/Wild Card, if it had played out and they won the division, would baseball have made big changes or scrapped it, you already had purists against 3 divisions anyway.

What if Billy Beane and Andrew Friedman had top 10 payrolls in the league?

Love that thought. I'd like to think Friedman was working with a decent amount a few years ago though- no? May have only been one season of expiring contracts, though. But I thought they had gotten up there one or two years ago maybe?

What if Rizzo had stayed in SD?

We dont need to go into the "what ifs" of Padre blunders, this thread will take on Legatron status in terms of length.

What if I drafted their team for them? Couldnt do any worse could I? I think they are on a streak of not drafting an all-star who represented the Padres since a draft pick during the Reagan administration.

What if Mickey Mantle took better care of himself?

Yeah- the possibilities with the speed/power (Trout-esque combo, but then-some from all of the old timers who speak of him- and I guess I mean boomers, really more than anyone else from a generation, or maybe pre-boomers- I dunno).

I was just discussing this with my OWN old man the other day, and the what ifs to Mantle had he not gotten hurt so young and blew his knees out as he did- plus, just the toll he took on himself... I remember him passing the day the Mariners eliminated the Yanks in '95, or the day after I think. Sad say for Yankees fans to say the least I'm sure. And yes, 93 really could have been Donnie's year too- good points, and excellent point with the WC and would it have been scrapped or not? I did mention the Matty thing as well but could not remember if that was 93, or 94- and maybe Bagwell was 94? I know in one of those seasons Bags was also on a rapid HR pace before shortened or a strike-ending season put a kibosh on his little chase, too. Furthermore, be it 93 or 94 (again, I always get confused, but i think both were in '93 to be honest) Gwynn and Butler were both flirting with .400 late in the year if I'm not mistaking- or one was one season and the other the next, whatever it was, they both were up there and finished w/ a high AVG in spite of the shortened year- Butler perhaps even finishing at or around .390?- but didn't get any further because, well, the strike.

What if Maddux had gone to the Yankees for more money, or the Cubs had ponied up the 315k apart from ATL which he was requesting to re-sign instead of letting him walk for years of crap and one fun Rod Beck fueled Rod Wild play-in & sweet-out to the only inferior team back then, the SanFran Giants! (and then the Braves whooping them in 3)

What if Babe Ruth played today?

What if Mike Trout played in the 20's?

What if Randy Johnson played in the 20's?

What if Sandy Koufax never got hurt?

What if Todd Helton and Troy Glaus actually signed with the Padres out of HS?

what if the Arod trade to the Red Sox deal wasn't voided by MLB? Red Sox would have gotten Magglio Ordonez and Arod and would have given up Manny and Nomar.

Would the Red Sox have won 3 rings in 10 seasons? Would the yankees have beaten the Red Sox in 04? Would the yankees, still, have won in 09? Would the yanks or sox have more rings?

To me, this is the most intriguing what if.

What if the Dimaggio for Ted Williams rumored trade would have really happened?

What if the Cubs had 3 home games in 1984 against the Padres? They had a better record and yet were on the road for 3 straight games in a 5 game series...That is totally preposterous...What if it was a 7 game series? MLB switched to a 7 game series for the LCS in 1985...What if Leon Durham didn't let that ground ball go right between his legs? As you can probably tell I am very bitter about the 1984 NLCS...

What if Tony Conigliaro doesn't get hit in the eye with w pitch... Already was 'Fastest AL player to 100 HRs'

Don Mattingly doesn't hurt his back and suffer through 6 years of mediocrity ...

What if the Cubs had 3 home games in 1984 against the Padres? They had a better record and yet were on the road for 3 straight games in a 5 game series...That is totally preposterous...What if it was a 7 game series? MLB switched to a 7 game series for the LCS in 1985...What if Leon Durham didn't let that ground ball go right between his legs? As you can probably tell I am very bitter about the 1984 NLCS...

still woulda been smoked by the Tigers

A myth is that the Cubs were deprived of home-field advantage for the 1984 National League Championship Series (NLCS) because they could not host night games.

However, from 1969–1984, the LCS were five-game series played in a 2-3 format. The NL West and AL East champs hosted the first two games in odd years and the NL East and the AL West hosted the first two games in even years. Thus, no changes were made to the NLCS schedule due to Wrigley Field's lack of lights.[17]

It is true that Major League Baseball announced in August 1984 that if the Cubs were to make the World Series, the first game would be moved to the American League park, to maximize the television revenues from night games. In 1984, the series was to be a seven-game series in a 2-3-2 format with the NL hosting the first two and last two games. Thus, if the Cubs had beaten the Padres in 1984, they would have been "cheated". [18]

What if Bobby Cox doesn't decide to bring in Wohlers in the 8th inning to get the final 6 outs in Game 4 of the '96 World Series? As a Braves fan, that one still hurts. Could've and should've been up 3-1 after that game...

Archived