NBC Sports Edge Forums

Favorite "What Ifs" of all time in the MLB

mrfrood

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What if the Mariners never traded Adam Jones for Eric Bedard?

What if they drafted Tulo, Braun, McCutchen, Bruce, Ellsbury, or Zimmerman over Jeff Clement in the 2005 draft?

What if the M's drafte hometown stud Tim Lincecum or Clayton Kershaw over Brandon Marrow in the 2006 draft?

What if Griffey Jr. never left Seattle?

Assuming Josh Hamilton never got into drugs and played all those years he should have, where would he rank out of the MLB batters over the past 10 years? Top 5? Top 10? The best batter?

What if people realized that Babe Ruth used corked bats, Mickey Mantle used horse testosterone, Hank Aaron and Willie Mays both used greenies, and Ty Cobb used illegal spikes?

Would people care that much about steroid users?

One of these things is not like the others,

One of these things just doesn't belong,

Can you tell which thing is not like the others

By the time I finish my song?

My point was that people yell and scream at steroid users yet don't say anything about players that were cheating long before them.

What if people realized that Babe Ruth used corked bats, Mickey Mantle used horse testosterone, Hank Aaron and Willie Mays both used greenies, and Ty Cobb used illegal spikes?

My point was that people yell and scream at steroid users yet don't say anything about players that were cheating long before them.

1) Illegal spikes, was there even such a thing at the time? I've tried using google and other than him sharpening them, where everyone could see, he was just a dirty rough and tumble player, rather than a cheat. Correct me if I am wrong.

2) Mantle's corked bat was proven to be false, at least that is the last thing I heard about it.

3) Using your analogy of lumping them all in with steroid users is ridiculous. We should punish shoplifters like serial killers, because they are all criminals!

1) Illegal spikes, was there even such a thing at the time? I've tried using google and other than him sharpening them, where everyone could see, he was just a dirty rough and tumble player, rather than a cheat. Correct me if I am wrong.

2) Mantle's corked bat was proven to be false, at least that is the last thing I heard about it.

3) Using your analogy of lumping them all in with steroid users is ridiculous. We should punish shoplifters like serial killers, because they are all criminals!

1. He filed his spikes so they would get more traction but obviously it also made a few fielders pretty scared.

2. Ruth's bat was corked. A few of them were in the Hall of Fame actually. I'll have to find that exert.

3. Come on. I'm saying cheating=cheating. All of the above gave players some sort of advantage.

1. He filed his spikes so they would get more traction but obviously it also made a few fielders pretty scared.

2. Ruth's bat was corked. A few of them were in the Hall of Fame actually. I'll have to find that exert.

3. Come on. I'm saying cheating=cheating. All of the above gave players some sort of advantage.

1) You have to be joking. A traction advantage? He did it to hurt people, if it is even true. If it was some advantage, others would have done it considering it was alleged he did it in the dugout. Even that is something of a myth, I'm not sure it has ever been verified or how it started.

2) Sorry, I thought you said Mantle with the cork, but you clearly said Ruth in your original post. Again, it was never found. Just some quote from a guy, that James ran with.

3) Come on. Traction advantage = HGH?

1) You have to be joking. A traction advantage? He did it to hurt people, if it is even true. If it was some advantage, others would have done it considering it was alleged he did it in the dugout. Even that is something of a myth, I'm not sure it has ever been verified or how it started.

2) Sorry, I thought you said Mantle with the cork, but you clearly said Ruth in your original post. Again, it was never found. Just some quote from a guy, that James ran with.

3) Come on. Traction advantage = HGH?

1. Yes. Baseball back then was a lot of what you did on the bases. I acknowledge that it put fear into fielders eyes.

2. I believe it was. But I'll check regardless.

3. In a day when stealing bases and HRs were low yes, traction would be a huge advantage.

This one keeps coming back. Not a corked bat, a laminated bat, for a few weeks in the 1923 season.. To the best of my knowledge laminated bats were not banned at that time. I believe laminated bats were banned in the 1930s and then allowed again in later years.

Ruth and Ken Williams both used that type bat in 1923. If Ruth was planning to use a bat that was banned in the game, why would he not keep it a secret. A few weeks before Ban Johnson put a ban on this bat it was out in the public that he was using that bat, that article was from July 18.

Johnson banned the use of that bat around August 12.

Bottom line, it was not a corked bat.

What if Mitch Williams wasn't wild?

He wouldn't be Mitch Williams, man!

Edit:

Really though, thinking about that whole possibility as a whole and not just the way he pitched (as in, he was calm and in control with more "normal" mechanics on the mound- personality-wise, he was more grounded, or at least not the way he is not- and he seems like the "no filter" type- etc.)........

He's one of the few "bonehead" personality-type MLB guys who took it off the field and into the booth, and is doing a solid job (IMO at least- he is very cut and dry, but the way he is right to the point and doesn't waver on opinion constantly like a lot of others- and while I love sabermetrics, sometimes it's refreshing just to hear guys like Mitch, who give off a bit of that old-school/Uecker vibe kinda... not to compare the two- but hopefully that makes a bit of sense?)

This one might be a little raw, but it's one I could think of which I doubt anyone has thought of... or something a little more vague, at least- if mentioned I haven't seen it and I've enjoyed & read most of the replies up to this point. Anyway-

What if Nick Adenhart was alive and pitching the past 3 or 4 years (I think? Has it been *that* long even? I can't remember/am on slow 'net and can't really pull up a page easily unless it's pre-loaded from earlier.).... does he develop into an ace as many had expected? I do remember his first (and only, sadly) start that season was quite stellar, and he was touted as one of the breakouts that season to lookout for... but this was also Brandon Wood-era Angels and a lot of those prospects did bust- but then agaiyn, a lot developed into good major league players just as well.

So it's something I think about sometimes- just not too often since it does feel very recent... I remember his scouting reports and watching him pitch and remember him coming up, and to me he kinda felt like the Homer Bailey of that period in the AL- hard to tell what he would develop into, if anything, but I do remember him ranking quite high on prospect lists and was considered to have high/#1 or 2 upside. It's interesting to think of that as a "what if?" even if grotesque- his life obviously more important than baseball (as the same goes for Thurman and Clemente*, etc. etc.) but his upside was undeniable obviously and he didn't even have a chance, nor did the team compensate for it in any manner obviously- emotionally or as far goes a possible high-upside player. I kinda don't like what ifs that include deaths because of that- it's so out of everyone's control, it's not really as fair or even comparable to a player who got a raw deal during their upbringing to the majors and never found their "spot"- but it is interesting to ponder obviously.... what could have been? Even with injuries like Tony C. or Fosse... but less grotesque.

*What if Roberto Clemente and Amelia Earhart had a love child on an island in the middle of nowhere?- and it's STILL ALIVE?

Anyone wanna give me a casting budget and rights out of thin air to turn this into Castaway 2? We can use a Wilson Baseball glove as the kid's best friend in this one- screw volleyball man.

What if Josh Harrison pulls his groin one of these days?

What if Kevin Costner was unmasked and we found out he's really a robot? A robot built to make jock/sport movies.

(and look just enough like Nic Cage to confuse my blind a** from the bed when watching crap at 2am)

What if JR Richard doesn't suffer that aneurysm? 6'8" and supposedly threw a mid-high 90's SLIDER. Struck out more than 300 batters twice, and was considered pretty much the most intimidating pitcher you could imagine next to Gibson.

Posted · Hidden by phatrat, July 30, 2014 - No Reason
Hidden by phatrat, July 30, 2014 - No Reason

What if Cargo developed Testicles instead of a Uterus.

Archived