NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Suspect Trade, What do you think?

This trade was made by two brothers in our league. One obviously done for the season and the other in 2nd place. It's so hard to accuse collusion, but they've had questionable trades in past years too, and our pot has more than doubled in the last couple years and is well over $1000 so it's a bit more serious. Keep in mind this is a keeper league, and the prices of the 2 keepers the one guy says he's keeping are posted...

The trade was:

Ryan Howard, Daniel Murphy, Tanaka $16 (season in 2015 in question), Aaron Sanchez $5 (he was just plucked off waivers last week)

for

Nelson Cruz, Pujols, Papelbon, and Addison Reed

So basically the guy out of playoffs is giving up 4 studs (okay maybe not Reed) for 2 keepers that are either questionable or not that great of a keeper..

I am on your side maybe. Trades like this should happen after the season in fantasy. It is not the same as MLB baseball. It can't be blamed on one manager being dumb as it has happened before.

Don't play in leagues with friends or relatives as it would seem to happen more often than not. After all how many strangers would collude year after year?

Nothing you can do about it except accept that it will happen again in other seasons or find a new league next year.

I dont think its that bad. He wasnt going to keep Pujols or Cruz and closers are replaceable. Getting Tanaka in a keeper could be huge.

but what would we say the prospects of Tanaka avoiding TJ are?? I agree if Tanaka had no health issues, then it changes everything. But to me it seems 50/50 at best he avoids TJ. If Tanaka isn't in this deal he's basically giving up 4 studs for 1 terrible keeper he probably changes his mind on in the winter when he smartens up. Seems like quite the gamble. It also happens to be his brother. I also happen to be in 3rd and never got ANY offers for any of those guys, ie. he never shopped them to see what else he could get. I don't know..

I dont think its that bad. He wasnt going to keep Pujols or Cruz and closers are replaceable. Getting Tanaka in a keeper could be huge.

but what would we say the prospects of Tanaka avoiding TJ are?? I agree if Tanaka had no health issues, then it changes everything. But to me it seems 50/50 at best he avoids TJ. If Tanaka isn't in this deal he's basically giving up 4 studs for 1 terrible keeper he probably changes his mind on in the winter when he smartens up. Seems like quite the gamble. It also happens to be his brother. I also happen to be in 3rd and never got ANY offers for any of those guys, ie. he never shopped them to see what else he could get. I don't know..

How much do keeper costs increase each year? I mean even if he misses 2015 as long as the price doesnt jump too much from year to year, you figure he could get a few years out of Tanaka for a couple guys last two months that he was never going to keep.

How much do keeper costs increase each year? I mean even if he misses 2015 as long as the price doesnt jump too much from year to year, you figure he could get a few years out of Tanaka for a couple guys last two months that he was never going to keep.

2015 = $16

2016 = $22

2017 = $26

only elite pitchers generally go for 20+ in my league, so his value significantly diminishes after next year.

And tanaka isn't going to pitch for about a month and a half best case scenario. Middle of Agust to see if surgery isn't need, them rehabilitation and rehab starts. Yankees aren't in at the middles of September they shut him down for the year. Worst case scenario middle of August he needs TJ surgery and then is lost for the next year. Comes back in 2016 as a what? Maybe one that has a 150 inning cap limit.

Sometimes the value of players has a lot more to do with the time of year. Consider that the number of closer available at this time of year are few and far between than they have more value than in April.

Where exactly does it say he wouldn't have been keeping Cruz (who is putting up numbers that rival Stanton this year :D ). The only cost I see are the ones associated with the players he received. For all you know Cruz an Pujols could have costs in the 10-15 dollar range.

And tanaka isn't going to pitch for about a month and a half best case scenario. Middle of Agust to see if surgery isn't need, them rehabilitation and rehab starts. Yankees aren't in at the middles of September they shut him down for the year. Worst case scenario middle of August he needs TJ surgery and then is lost for the next year. Comes back in 2016 as a what? Maybe one that has a 150 inning cap limit.

Sometimes the value of players has a lot more to do with the time of year. Consider that the number of closer available at this time of year are few and far between than they have more value than in April.

Where exactly does it say he wouldn't have been keeping Cruz (who is putting up numbers that rival Stanton this year :D). The only cost I see are the ones associated with the players he received. For all you know Cruz an Pujols could have costs in the 10-15 dollar range.

yup, just saw that actually. nelson cruz is $15 making this trade even worse!! he's a better keeper than Tanaka at this point...

Where exactly does it say he wouldn't have been keeping Cruz (who is putting up numbers that rival Stanton this year :D). The only cost I see are the ones associated with the players he received. For all you know Cruz an Pujols could have costs in the 10-15 dollar range.

yup, just saw that actually. nelson cruz is $15 making this trade even worse!! he's a better keeper than Tanaka at this point...

Listen I don't think it's a good trade but I'm not sure id be ready to make a stink about it being collusion.

Listen I don't think it's a good trade but I'm not sure id be ready to make a stink about it being collusion.

My advice was accept that it happened and will again since it has happened in the past. Or just get out of the league next year. I didn't make any assumptions trying to justify the trade. Plain and simple it is a crap trade. You can't even say he is building for the future as he gets nothing of value coming back

You can't prove collusion, but then I doubt you ever can.

My advice was accept that it happened and will again since it has happened in the past. Or just get out of the league next year. I didn't make any assumptions trying to justify the trade. Plain and simple it is a crap trade. You can't even say he is building for the future as he gets nothing of value coming back

You can't prove collusion, but then I doubt you ever can.

well one of the benefits of being in a league where it's been the same guys for many years is that i will and have already got support for this trade being BS. if we're going to keep the same guys going forward, we'll need to make an offseason adjustment (maybe install a dollar percentage where one team can only give up to 150% of the other teams total dollar amount in a trade...or anything to objectively eliminate these deals). in the meantime, we cannot prove collusion, but if enough people think this is garbage, the deal will be taken back. it's only happened 1 or 2 times in the 5+ years of the league but it will happen if enough ppl are not happy with it. if they don't like that they can leave.

Keeper leagues are simply going to have unbalanced trades when injured stars are involved... The guy is making a bet on the Yankees being smart with Tanaka and avoiding TJ - in which case that $16 Tanaka is easily the best keeper in the deal, imho. Yeah, Cruz has been good this year - but he's notoriously injury-prone and getting older.

BTW - how much is D Murphy at? He could be a decent keeper at the right price too.

FWIW, in my keeper league, Tanaka just got traded for Khris Davis... from the team in first to a team in the cellar looking to next year.

Archived