NBC Sports Edge Forums

2014 Post-Trade Deadline Fantasy Analysis

I'm curious to see if Allen Craig will rebound with the change of scenery, and if Gomes will be another ex-red sock that breaks out in oakland ala Moss, Reddick.

Can someone please tell me why on earth the Yankees dealt O'Brien for Prado? This makes ABSOLUTELY no sense to me. And nobody has discussed this in the slightest bit.

Yeah, can't say that trade makes much sense. Yankees gave up a lot of upside. O'Brien looks like he could be the next Gattis. Worst case scenario: Arencibia.

Can someone please tell me why on earth the Yankees dealt O'Brien for Prado? This makes ABSOLUTELY no sense to me. And nobody has discussed this in the slightest bit.

Because the Yankees are an obvious contender. The Tigers, Dodgers, and Oakland's staff might be amazing, but the Yankees could probably contend with all of them with the highly touted rotation consisting of Hiroki Kuroda, McCarthy, Capuano, Phelps and Shane Green. Ye, amazing that they have all those guys. Crazy I know.

And let's not forget their amazing hitting, I mean look at Ichiro and Derek Jeter, combined 6227 Hits, how could this team not win a world series?

If I were a Yankee fan I'd be so pissed lol.

Because the Yankees are an obvious contender. The Tigers, Dodgers, and Oakland's staff might be amazing, but the Yankees could probably contend with all of them with the highly touted rotation consisting of Hiroki Kuroda, McCarthy, Capuano, Phelps and Shane Green. Ye, amazing that they have all those guys. Crazy I know.

And let's not forget their amazing hitting, I mean look at Ichiro and Derek Jeter, combined 6227 Hits, how could this team not win a world series?

Lol, laying it on thick

Yeah, can't say that trade makes much sense. Yankees gave up a lot of upside. O'Brien looks like he could be the next Gattis. Worst case scenario: Arencibia.

And that is a very worse case. Arencibia sucks, one of the worst hitters in major league baseball. Catcher is a high bust rate at the MLB level. Once you get up here a lot is asked in terms of calling games and managing a professional staff. Gary Sanchez is the future catcher of the Yankees.

Eh, O'Brien's one of those guys who probably crushes minor league mistakes, but will get absolutely bent over by big league pitching. He has a .296 OBP as a 23 year old in AA and there's questions if he can really stick behind the plate. Martin Prado's the most boring player of all-time, but I wouldn't lose sleep over losing O'Brien.

Eh, O'Brien's one of those guys who probably crushes minor league mistakes, but will get absolutely bent over by big league pitching. He has a .296 OBP as a 23 year old in AA and there's questions if he can really stick behind the plate. Martin Prado's the most boring player of all-time, but I wouldn't lose sleep over losing O'Brien.

Every scouting report on O'Brien basically says this very thing.

Losers today - Tiger starting pitchers. Why because the Tiger bullpen still isn't championship quality and will cost them wins.

You've obviously never seen the guy bat. He makes Adam Dunn look like a batting title contender.

Only name not really mentioned, would be Prado. While the ballpark may help, I really do think the change of scenery will. I think there's an uptick in his value.

But how much playing time will he get? The OF is already crowded and for some ridiculous reason they're planning on letting Drew play 2B.

Only name not really mentioned, would be Prado. While the ballpark may help, I really do think the change of scenery will. I think there's an uptick in his value.

But how much playing time will he get? The OF is already crowded and for some ridiculous reason they're planning on letting Drew play 2B.

I was going to mention this. Prado is basically going to be a super utility. He probably plays 80% of the time but not everyday. The gains from park/lineup/change and scenery will be negated by loss in PT.

I'd expect Prado to gain eligibility at all IF positions and OF for next year, so maybe its an uptick for dynasty for next year.

I know people have mentioned a bump for Rajai, but Ezequiel Carerra may get the biggest bump. Gonna get the call from AAA to replace AJackson. He's a LH bat so even if it starts as a platoon he will be the strong side. He's got 40+ SBs this year and had the same in the minors last year. Could be a great add.

if we're looking objectively at the Tigers, I wouldn't count on much from Carrera, but my guess is he gets a shot the next few weeks to try to lock this down and make them more comfortable. I would bet they may try something via waivers if Carrera is overmatched.

He's not some uber prospect -- he's a 27 year old who's played in AAA for the past 5 years to a .282/.350/.376 line.

if we're looking objectively at the Tigers, I wouldn't count on much from Carrera, but my guess is he gets a shot the next few weeks to try to lock this down and make them more comfortable. I would bet they may try something via waivers if Carrera is overmatched.

He's not some uber prospect -- he's a 27 year old who's played in AAA for the past 5 years to a .282/.350/.376 line.

Agree with most. But I listened to Dombrowski's press conference yesterday post-trade and he didn't say "With the emergence of JD Martinez we felt comfortable with him, Rajai, and Torii." He said (paraphrasing) "We've got Carerra down in Toledo and we've been looking for a way to get him up."

No guarantees, but I think he could be a decent flyer.

Agree with most. But I listened to Dombrowski's press conference yesterday post-trade and he didn't say "With the emergence of JD Martinez we felt comfortable with him, Rajai, and Torii." He said (paraphrasing) "We've got Carerra down in Toledo and we've been looking for a way to get him up."

Tiger fans, how is Rajai and Carerra's d in cf?

That's the thing. Carerra is supposed to be a good defensive CF. Rajai not so much.

Dynasty leagues (more for next year) - i like the move for Cosart. He still needs a change up (as mentioned previously) but i love the arm and the move from the al to the nl.

Quietly, the Marlins have set themselves up to contend for a wild card spot next year with a rotation of jose, alvarez, eovaldi, cosart, heaney, a solid bullpen, and a lineup foundation of yelich, stanton, ozuna. They need to upgrade 1b, 2b, and possibly 3b this offseason but i like the direction they're heading.

That's the thing. Carerra is supposed to be a good defensive CF. Rajai not so much.

Well Rajai is starting tonight and Carrerra isn't in the lineup...

Well Rajai is starting tonight and Carrerra isn't in the lineup...

They are facing a lefty today.

Yeah. Rajai is a .250 Hitter this year against RHP with not much pop and sup-par defense. It won't take much for Carerra to take the strong side of a platoon for himself.

Archived