NBC Sports Edge Forums

#5 Pick Dynasty

DrGonzo

I have the #5 pick in a rookie dynasty draft. I have predicted that the first 4 players picked will be Parker, Wiggins, Embiid, Exum (Noel was drafted and stashed last season and we are all Australian so I think Exum will go early. Wiggins and Parker are pretty much locks for #1 and #2.).

Who would you guys go for next? Payton was at the top of my list but his percentages might do more harm than good, so I am down to Smart, McDermott or Randle.

Vonleh, TJ Warren, Gary Harris and James Young might be decent long term stashes and someone like KJ McDaniels might be a good short term solution but I think I could pick him up later in the draft so not worth burning an early pick on him.

Who would you guys go for and why?

Hello, fellow Aussie here and hopefully you're not in my league. If so, I'd suggest picking up James Ennis for his NBL experience.

I have pick 7 so I am kinda in a similar position than you. I agree those 4 are likely to get picked first. I am a bit torn between Vonleh and McDermott for different reasons. McDermott could be a 10 year solid pts, fg%, ft% and 3pm player kinda in the same vein as Kevin Martin. Vonleh is more of a development project who apparently has huge upside.

Alternatively, I have also thought of trading the coveted first round pick for an already established young player. Maybe a Klay Thompson or Nerlen Noels.

I know I am not really answering your question but that's how I have approached my draft so far.

Cam Bairstow or James Ennis? haha

Thanks, appreciate the input. I've traded my previous 2 first round picks for solid players so this time I want to keep it especially with how deep this draft class is.

Who did you trade them for? Out of curiosity, just want to gauge what this first rounder could demand.

Although, if you traded your first rounder last year, you no doubt got a steal!

If you are worried about Payton's FG %, then I wouldn't be thinking about Smart either. If you are choosing between McDermott and Randle, I'd vote Randle, but otherwise I'd be looking to take Vonleh. I think he has great potential as a long term stash.

Tuff call. I like Randle although Boozie cuts into his role. Peyton should get a ton of time and may be Lilliard but maybe not. Gordon should get a lot of run this year and will prolly help the most this year. McDermott is Plan B for most help this year. Vonleh has already been benched by the coach so not sure he helps a lot this year. Smart really needs a Rondo trade to carve out a role this year. I think I would take Gordon maybe Peyton if TOs ain't counted.

Wiggins and Parker are 1/2.

After that, I would take one of Smart, Peyton, Exum before taking Randle or Vonleh. I think those guards offer better upside than the forwards. I think Exum and Smart won't really do much this year, but next year should be solid contributors. Peyton is going to get serious minutes this year.

If you need a big and want to gamble, take Embiid.

For your reference, my dynasty draft went like this: Parker, Wiggins, Smart, Embiid, Exum, Peyton, LaVine, Randle, Vonleh, Gordon

I also have the #5 pick in my dynasty rookie draft and also can't decide who to pick. I need a PG, so right now I am thinking Smart, Payton or Exxum in that order. I go back and forth on Smart and Payton. I am more worried about Smart's FG% than Payton's. Payton shot 48% FG% in college and shot higher than that in summer league. Smart's FG% in college was around 40% and his summer league % was horrendous. Right now I am only leaning Smart because he seems like the safest choice to be productive for the long haul, especially if they trade Rondo. Although Payton is tempting because he is in the better situation right now.

If you are not looking for a PG, I would take Randle over McDermott.

Thanks everyone! I am still no closer to deciding although you have helped me to eliminate Payton :)

The thing with Payton is not just the FG% but also the FT% and TOs. Assuming he gets a lot of run this season (and why wouldn't he?) that could be dangerous especially in roto

Gordon was mentioned a few times here. I don't think I would take him at #5. Orlando has a crowded frontcourt and he could also hurt the FT% pretty badly.

So it's down to Smart, McDermott and Randle. Does anyone have any projecions on LaVine? Assuming Wiggins will hurt his value if he lands in Minny which is most likely.

Randle and McDermott are safer picks. Both have skills that will for sure be put to use at the next level.

Randle with his pump fakes will generate a ton of FT opportunities to himself. His ability to score inside comes really natural, I don't think length of his defenders will be too much of an issue as he adjusts. I'm not expecting a high blocking rate from him but he has the tools to be a 1.2-1.5 STLs and maybe a block a game type of guy.

17-10-2-1-01 with a FT% around the low to mid 70's seems like a realistic ceiling for now.

As for McDermott, he looks like the next great shooter. His stroke money. Can shoot from just about anywhere. He'll probably be fall between Kyle Korver and a prime Peja (at best).

LaVine has the physical tools that will make anyone drool but you can easily tell me he'll bust and I wouldn't argue it. Also, Minnesota doesn't exactly have the best eye of judgement when drafting guards/forwards. With disappointments in Brewer, Mayo, McCants, Flynn, Ellington and Wes Johnson targeted in recent years. That for what its worth.

Archived