NBC Sports Edge Forums

how much money do you spend on fantasy baseball?

ssmarsh

Just curious what kind of cash others are dropping to play FBB? My league fee is $60 (which includes the stat service, food on draft day and prize money) and I'll usually pick up the USAT Sports Weekly fantasy baseball issue. Other than that, I scour the web for free info. What do you guys spend?

Just curious what kind of cash others are dropping to play FBB? My league fee is $60 (which includes the stat service, food on draft day and prize money) and I'll usually pick up the USAT Sports Weekly fantasy baseball issue. Other than that, I scour the web for free info. What do you guys spend?

500 for the league buy in. 13 for the league and 20 at the auction for food and drink. I usually buy 3-5 mags as well so I can get an idea of what other guys are looking at. I then make my own rankings and everything on my own.

$6.50. It's the fee for my league to pay for CBS. There's no money involved in the league as everyone plays for pride, which trumps everything else. I don't use magazines since reading projections from others who I don't necessarily believe in can unduly influence my own thoughts/projections. I simply have a spreadsheet that is every team's depth chart and I change it daily based on player movement.

And I thought I was cheap! B) I'm with you in that I haven't used a magazine in years since they don't really correlate well to my auction league which uses a few non-standard categories. I download a 2007 final stats file (for free) and manipulate it up until draft day, making my own "magazine" which is much more useful.

And I thought I was cheap! B) I'm with you in that I haven't used a magazine in years since they don't really correlate well to my auction league which uses a few non-standard categories. I download a 2007 final stats file (for free) and manipulate it up until draft day, making my own "magazine" which is much more useful.

Right. It's really that easy and that's basically the only thing these "professionals" do. They take the prior years stats and make some tweaks to projections based on growth, new team/ballpark, age, etc. Why should I listen to them when I can do the exact same thing with just as high a percentage of accuracy? I find spending money on their publications actually turns into negative returns so why bother?

The only reason I get mags is so I know what other league members are looking at. If 5 mags have a guy I like as a sleeper moved up pretty high I know I can not wait on that guy and I need to adjust my thinking. All of my final rankings come from myself.

Pride is fun since our league has been around with the same 12 since 2001 so the pride is there for the league but the 500x12 makes pride mean even more. Not to mention last place finisher must pay for the champions engraving on the trophy. We got some ridiculous eyesore that is over 3 feet tall. All the guys wives/GF's who had it in the house get pissed but it is a must display item especially since we all chill together still. Sadly it has not been in my house since 2004.

The only reason I get mags is so I know what other league members are looking at. If 5 mags have a guy I like as a sleeper moved up pretty high I know I can not wait on that guy and I need to adjust my thinking. All of my final rankings come from myself.
I hope the other guys in my league get magazines so they can bid players up to the ridiculous prices they post. As for the sleepers, those magazines will be hitting the news stands pretty soon so anyone who blossoms in spring training won't be recognized.
Pride is fun since our league has been around with the same 12 since 2001 so the pride is there for the league

Same here. Our prize pot is pretty small but we print out customized "banners" for the winners and they are proudly displayed at my office, where more than half of the league members work.

Same here. Our prize pot is pretty small but we print out customized "banners" for the winners and they are proudly displayed at my office, where more than half of the league members work.

For my league, I purchased an Official Major League Baseball and display globe. Each year, the winner gets to autograph the ball with his name and year he won and display it for anyone to see. He then is responsible for shipping it to the next winner.

About $400.

I'm in three $100 leagues, one $50 league and get a premium membership at a particular website along with buying the fantasy edition of the Baseball Weekly every year. I quit buying mags.

Holy crap!

haha It's heavily weighted towards league dues and fees. I'll probably just buy the rotoworld draft and season pass for my research.

haha It's heavily weighted towards league dues and fees.

Still, you drop a grand on FBB? HOLY CRAP! B) We intentionally keep our prize money on the low side to eliminate the cutthroat aspect of things. We're more into it for the glory of a league title than anything else. The prize money ($200 for 1st place) is just a little bonus.

I spend around $200 on access to some info sites, leagues, & magazines. I love all of the free info right here on Rotoworld - it's really priceless. But I pay for detailed projections & forecasts on another site. Of course it's not always on target, but close enough that I trust the predictions there.

Still, you drop a grand on FBB? HOLY CRAP! B) We intentionally keep our prize money on the low side to eliminate the cutthroat aspect of things. We're more into it for the glory of a league title than anything else. The prize money ($200 for 1st place) is just a little bonus.

Let's just say it gets me by when football/gambling season is on ice. I usually do pretty well so I figured I'd just try to make some cash on the side.

$200 for league buy in, 1 or 2 magazines and the Sports Weekly fantasy baseball issue to have at the auction, and some food & drink money. Overall, i spend about $225 on FBB. All of this is supplemented with Rotoworld, of course!

I can't believe how little most of you guys spend versus the amount of time you spend on here posting. Last season in a variety of leagues I spent just under 4k, for a return of about 14k. Next year I will roll about 4 or 5 in, to take out 20-25. Lots of easy competition out there on CBS, CDM and Rotowire.

I can't believe how little most of you guys spend versus the amount of time you spend on here posting. Last season in a variety of leagues I spent just under 4k, for a return of about 14k. Next year I will roll about 4 or 5 in, to take out 20-25. Lots of easy competition out there on CBS, CDM and Rotowire.

those public pay leagues take too much of the pot...i dont like it

Fantasy baseball is a fun diversion for me, not an income source. I put a lot of time into it because I want to crush my friends as much as possible and hold the title over their head until the next season starts.

League fees...$60

USAT fantasy edition...$1.75

Winning a title and gloating like hell to your friends...PRICELESS!!

Some guys play FBB for the money, others for the love of competition. I'd be more than happy to plunk down 1k, but to be honest, the league I've been in for 15+ years is way better to win, satisfaction-wise.

All in all, I probably put in 500-1k *total* for all my leagues, and even if I won all of them, I'd only take home 2k-3k - it's my hobby, but I do like to have some stakes involved - they just can't be so high it removes my buddies from it.

Archived