NBC Sports Edge Forums

how much money do you spend on fantasy baseball?

ssmarsh

Fantasy baseball is a fun diversion for me, not an income source. I put a lot of time into it because I want to crush my friends as much as possible and hold the title over their head until the next season starts.

League fees...$60

USAT fantasy edition...$1.75

Winning a title and gloating like hell to your friends...PRICELESS!!

My friends typically don't do Fntasy Baseball. The ones I have played with in the past won't do them now since I typically win it haha. Funny story about the football league I was in this year was the commish didn't want me in since he thought I'd win. My old roommate had to invite me to join and I ended up winning the pot haha.

Let's see...

$100 on baseball sites

$50 on the league

$30 magazines

$30 Baseball Prospectus

Not that much actually. I dont have any problems with people paying a lot of money on fantasy baseball. There's a lot worse crap to spend our money on. At least we utilize it to the max.

for baseball im expecting to invest about $300-500 for all of my leagues

For Baseball, about $16 or 17.

I'm in 1 money league that is a 4 sport league with $10 per sport for a prize fund and we do baseball at CBS so the extra is for the site dues there.

There is a slim possibility that I would pay for the Draft kit here at Rotoworld but after that I won't be spending any more money on Baseball.

Jeeze. Why do you guys spend so much money on fantasy baseball content? What can they offer you other than vague projections?

It depends on what you refer to as content - I love BP & BA - they're totally worth the price of subscribing, as I can't see *all* the prospects (in BA's case), or bother to break down and analyse the performances of every player (like BP does).

Still, I only end up spending less than $70-80 a year, and it's not really to get inside information, as just to get *more* information, combined my own analysis after seeing players live or on TV, so I make better judgments on my own.

Pre-season guides, though, are for the most part, *totally* over-rated. Buy one, the rest just mimic 80 percent off each other.

So, buy Rotoworld's edition, and go home happy.

(So, do I get my commission?)

I actually forgot to mention the best tool in the entire fantasy world, spend the couple of hundred bucks and get the package, any game any day is the most awesome method of scouting.

Duh, I also forgot to include the MLB Extra Innings package. True, I need to watch a player play before I can judge them.

Duh, I also forgot to include the MLB Extra Innings package. True, I need to watch a player play before I can judge them.

Billy Beane, Theo Epstein and the rest of the Moneyball crew would say HUMBUG to that remark. All you need are statistics. B)

Billy Beane, Theo Epstein and the rest of the Moneyball crew would say HUMBUG to that remark. All you need are statistics. B)

I need both. I use stats plus my gut. I like to think of the saying, "Figures don't lie, but liars figure!" After all, you can look solely at a stat line of pitcher John Doe, & it could look great! But if you watch the game & see that Mr. Doe did well, but was about to crap his pants, you may think this is not a guy I want to trust long-term.

I place a lot of value on an individual's grit & determination increasing their performance beyond their actual ability.

I need both. I use stats plus my gut. I like to think of the saying, "Figures don't lie, but liars figure!" After all, you can look solely at a stat line of pitcher John Doe, & it could look great! But if you watch the game & see that Mr. Doe did well, but was about to crap his pants, you may think this is not a guy I want to trust long-term.

I place a lot of value on an individual's grit & determination increasing their performance beyond their actual ability.

I agree. Not only that, you don't see mechanics on a stat sheet. There's plenty of pitchers that can put up good stats, but their mechanics are such a mess, I'm almost certain an injury is coming so I'd rather not take that chance.

I agree. Not only that, you don't see mechanics on a stat sheet. There's plenty of pitchers that can put up good stats, but their mechanics are such a mess, I'm almost certain an injury is coming so I'd rather not take that chance.

True, another good point on why you gotta watch the games! Besides, I love baseball so much I could watch the 2 worst teams play each other & be very happy.

True, another good point on why you gotta watch the games! Besides, I love baseball so much I could watch the 2 worst teams play each other & be very happy.

Couldn't agree more. My wife thinks I'm nuts when I sit there and watch the Royals play the Devil Rays. Sorry honey, gotta scout.

Our League franchise fee is $50. This past year including league, franchise, draft supplies/food total startup was about $80. Then we have varying "fees" for player pickups. Our total league Net Purse this year was $2650.00. The champion won ~$800 for the league plus his division 1st place of $250.

Overall I spent $260, but took home 4th place and won $315.

Ive been in the NFBC since it started i think 5 years ago. I dont want to write the dollar amount because it will simply remind me of my failures. You guys who do this know how much it costs. If you dont know go take a look at their site just dont blame me if you fall out of your chair.

I do a couple of $150 leagues in addition to that. Ive have had success in them.

I've lurked at the NFBC boards for a while now and I'm stunned at the kind of money thrown around over there. If I ever won the lottery and had time and money to burn, I'd join a few NFBC leagues...

I've lurked at the NFBC boards for a while now and I'm stunned at the kind of money thrown around over there. If I ever won the lottery and had time and money to burn, I'd join a few NFBC leagues...

what really surprises me about nfbc/nffc is that their leagues aren't auctions...i think they have a few auctions but a majority of their leagues are snake drafts which really surprises me a league that is suppose to be the "championship" calibur is using snake/pick'em drafts...

Ive been in the NFBC since it started i think 5 years ago. I dont want to write the dollar amount because it will simply remind me of my failures. You guys who do this know how much it costs. If you dont know go take a look at their site just dont blame me if you fall out of your chair.

I do a couple of $150 leagues in addition to that. Ive have had success in them.

Man, I've been wanting to get in NFBC for years now. Even if I drove to Vegas for the draft it's still very pricey.

Archived