NBC Sports Edge Forums

Keepers! Help me, help you. Will be here all Winter to WHIR

Backdoor Slider

League- 11 team roto league.

HR, AVG, runs produced (RBI + R - HR), SBs

W, Saves, ERA, K/BB

Finished 4th place, which gives me 1st pick in each round next season.

Can keep up to 7, losing a round for each keeper.

**All offensive numbers are of about a week and a half before end of season

1B- Paul Goldschmidt - 27

.300/19/9 125 RP (109 games)

Elite hitter. Top 5 pick.

OF- Carlos Gomez - 29

.285/21/30 136 RP

One of the best power/speed combos in the league.

OF- Bryce Harper - 22

.266/12/1 55 RP

I’m still a big believer that he is and will be an elite bat.

SP- Jose Fernandez - 23

4 W, 2.44 ERA, 5.38 K/BB

An elite, top SP when healthy

-------

3B/1B- Todd Frazier - 29

.276/25/20 125 RP

Huge breakout season. And when you consider Miggy & E5 lose 3B eligibility & guys like Wright, Longoria, & RZimmerman have fallen, Frazier should be elite 3B option.

2B- Jason Kipnis - 28

.247/6/22 94 RP

I’ve been a Kipnis backer, but the inability to hit lefties limits is AVG upside. Still think he’s a 15/30 2B, but with so many 2B options emerging, I wonder if he’s worth it.

C- Devin Mesoraco - 27

.282/23/1 100 RP

Former top C prospect became elite. We start 2 C, so there’s some value here if he can repeat.

3B/1B- Carlos Santana - 29

.233/27/3 115 RP

After the failed experiment at 3B, Santana seemed to get more comfortable, hitting .274 13 HRs post-ASB. He won’t qualify at C next season which hurts, but will if he gets 5 games there next year (11 appearances this season).

OF- Hunter Pence - 32

All he does is produce. Can probably get him back in the draft though.

1B- Chris Davis

Any believers left? Top 75 value? Potential is there...both breakout and bust.

RP- Sean Doolittle

Elite in my league. We use K/BB. We also only have weekly adds, so closers are HARD to come by.

SP- Julio Teheran - 24

14 W, 2.89 ERA, 3.65 K/BB

SP- Doug Fister -31

16 W, 2.41 ERA, 4.08 K/BB

SP- Cole Hamels -31

9 W, 2.46 ERA, 3.36 K/BB

So I'm pretty set on the first 4. Goldy, Gomez, Bryce, JoFer. Would love to know your thoughts on which 7 you'd keep. Many tough decisions. Leave a link and I'll be happy to give help back.

I have a couple of the same questions with my keepers - we keep 6 and I'm wondering if Mesoraco/Pence are worth it. You seem to have the same problem I do - a bunch of 8th round guys :)

I'd probably keep Mesoraco, Pence, Fister & Frazier... but it's really so close that I could see keeping Hamels over Fister... or Davis over Pence... or almost any combination :) I'd probably do what I'm going to do - wait until the ADPs come out next year and keep the top ones there. FWIW, I'm also not 100% sure I'd keep JoFer in this situation - will he go in the first 7 rounds next year? Probably... but who knows... maybe I'd even keep Teheran over him - at least he'll be pitching in April.

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=470162

Of course, you could just go the other way and let most of them go - to see what's available otherwise... I'm guessing you could just redraft them in rounds 4-5-6-7 if nothing better was out there - I might do that.

Agreed. Goldy, Gomez, and Fernandez are locks. I wouldn't necessarily say Harper is a lock in all keeper formats at this point, but with 8 keepers his upside is too tantalizing to pass on.

After Goldy, Gomez, Fernandez, and Harper for the remaining four I'd roll with:

5. Frazier (Breakout season and like you said 3B is about to get a whole lot more shallow than it already is)

6. Pence (Consistent from year to year, similar to Adam Jones in terms of output)

7. Mesoraco (insane production for a catcher, and he only had 384 ABs!)

8. Teheran (a legit SP 2 and at only 23 I'm guessing the best is yet to come)

Hamels is still really good, but I don't see his run support magically improving, so wins will still be hard to come by. Davis is too much of a question mark to take a risk on with the above options. With the emphasis on average and no OBP to balance it out in your league, Santana is a pretty big average drain. A lot of his value comes from his OBP. Your arguments for Doolittle are sound, but closers come and go. Position is too volatile to bank on for keepers, IMO.

Edit: Although now that I think about it, Fernandez will be on the shelf for half of 2015... that's probably enough to take him out of the "lock" equation if you only have him for next year.

FYI this is a "keep forever" league, which is why JoFer, and Bryce for that matter, are locks. I still could be swayed though.

Had Frazier in lock originally, but worried he's more .250/20/10 than .275/25/20.

Will be trying to make offseason deals for sure. Appreciate the thoughts so far.

FYI this is a "keep forever" league, which is why JoFer, and Bryce for that matter, are locks. I still could be swayed though.

Had Frazier in lock originally, but worried he's more .250/20/10 than .275/25/20.

Will be trying to make offseason deals for sure. Appreciate the thoughts so far.

Yeah, I don't know about Frazier either - this was likely his career year - but 3B is pretty weak overall - I'm guessing he'll go before round 8 in a redraft.

And I still worry about JoFer long term - nobody comes back from TJ and dominates like they did before... it often takes awhile. I really wouldn't worry about letting him go - but I can understand the desire to keep him - I just think pitching is deep enough overall where you really don't have to gamble on him.

Ah, my bad then. Since it's "keep forever," JoFer is definitely a lock.

I agree with your locks. As for the rest I'd go

1) Frazier - Maybe the avg does take a bit of a dip, but the power and speed combo makes him worth it. If he goes 20/20 he's a keeper for sure

2) Teheran - Young and pitching like an ace. He's in for me

3) Mesoraco - Position scarcity here - the power is insane from the catcher spot and he'll give you a nice leg up on the competition there

4) Toss up between Pence and Hamels. Hamels will give you a second ace to start with which can be nice. Pence will give you a super consistent bat to build around. Depends on how you value hitting vs pitching with your keepers. I'd probably lean Pence considering how deep pitching is.

I'll pm you mine

In a keep forever league, I go with Teheran, Frazier and one of Mesoraco/Fister. Part of me leans toward Mesoraco but it seems like far too often catchers wear down and the rare ones like Posey are here and far between. Doolittle given the need for closers in a K/BB league is intriguing, but you can never trust RPs in my opinion. Too volatile of a position to have a lock on.

This would be my selection:

OF- Carlos Gomez - 29

.285/21/30 136 RP

OF- Bryce Harper - 22

.266/12/1 55 RP

SP- Jose Fernandez - 23

4 W, 2.44 ERA, 5.38 K/BB

3B/1B- Todd Frazier - 29

.276/25/20 125 RP

Huge breakout season. And when you consider Miggy & E5 lose 3B eligibility & guys like Wright, Longoria, & RZimmerman have fallen, Frazier should be elite 3B option.

C- Devin Mesoraco - 27

.282/23/1 100 RP

Former top C prospect became elite. We start 2 C, so there’s some value here if he can repeat.

SP- Cole Hamels -31

9 W, 2.46 ERA, 3.36 K/BB

Frazier is too good to ignore, especially at 3B. I feel Mesoraco can easily be the #1 Catcher in baseball and you really can use an ace pitcher. JFER is not back at the beginning of the season and who knows when he'll be back to being dominant? You can make a case for Teheran over Hamels but don't forget Hames might get traded this offseason.

Help? http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=470241

League- 11 team roto league.

HR, AVG, runs produced (RBI + R - HR), SBs

W, Saves, ERA, K/BB

Finished 4th place, which gives me 1st pick in each round next season.

Can keep up to 7, losing a round for each keeper.

**All offensive numbers are of about a week and a half before end of season

OF- Carlos Gomez - 29

.285/21/30 136 RP

OF- Bryce Harper - 22

.266/12/1 55 RP

SP- Jose Fernandez - 23

4 W, 2.44 ERA, 5.38 K/BB

-------

3B/1B- Todd Frazier - 29

.276/25/20 125 RP

2B- Jason Kipnis - 28

.247/6/22 94 RP

I’ve been a Kipnis backer, but the inability to hit lefties limits is AVG upside. Still think he’s a 15/30 2B, but with so many 2B options emerging, I wonder if he’s worth it.

C- Devin Mesoraco - 27

.282/23/1 100 RP

3B/1B- Carlos Santana - 29

.233/27/3 115 RP

After the failed experiment at 3B, Santana seemed to get more comfortable, hitting .274 13 HRs post-ASB. He won’t qualify at C next season which hurts, but will if he gets 5 games there next year (11 appearances this season).

OF- Hunter Pence - 32

All he does is produce. Can probably get him back in the draft though.

1B- Chris Davis

Any believers left? Top 75 value? Potential is there...both breakout and bust.

RP- Sean Doolittle

Elite in my league. We use K/BB. We also only have weekly adds, so closers are HARD to come by.

SP- Julio Teheran - 24

14 W, 2.89 ERA, 3.65 K/BB

SP- Doug Fister -31

16 W, 2.41 ERA, 4.08 K/BB

SP- Cole Hamels -31

9 W, 2.46 ERA, 3.36 K/BB

So I'm pretty set on the first 4. Goldy, Gomez, Bryce, JoFer. Would love to know your thoughts on which 7 you'd keep. Many tough decisions. Leave a link and I'll be happy to give help back.

Would keep those players for next year & beyond!

Meso, Kipnis, Teheran, Frazier

I still think Kipnis represents good value for next season. I wouldn't dump him quite yet.

Meso...2 catcher league...full lineup next year. I like it

Terehan is a fine #2 for the year, and fringe #1 until Frenandez comes back

Frazier because 3B is just so damn shallow.

Here are my picks:

1. I still like Kipnis and think he can be a top 5 2b next year, worth the risk

2. Todd Frazier even if he falters a little has a nice hr/sb combo that will come valuable in roto leagues

3. Devin Mesoraco - since your league stars two Catchers, having that hr potential is a must.

4 Teheran - has that ace potential to take it to the next level

Since it's a keep forever league Teheran could hold more value since catcher seem to fall off sometimes. But since you're in a two catcher league, still would lean towards keeping Mesoraco.

I also love Pence but OFs are easy to come by, 2b and 3b are definitely more shallow.

It'd be Frazier, Fister and Teheran for me. Frazier was a year late on his breakout, but I think he's here to stay. Fister is a solid pitcher who is on a good team and should continue to impress. Teheran is a favorite of mine and I like him over Hamels just a little.

• 4 weeks later...

If you've got to keep 7 I take Mesoraco,Hamels and Frazier. With that said, I don't know that I'd give up a 1st or 2nd round pick to keep Frazier or Mezoraco.

For everyone who loves Teheran so much over Hamels. Sure Teheran may one day be the better pitcher, but he isn't better yet.

Hamels:

FIP:3.07

xFIP:3.21

K/9:8.71

Teheran:

FIP:3.49

xFIP:3.72

K/9:7.57

After your top 4

5. Todd Frazier - is the quiet killer. Solid Keeper at 3rd not so deep as many think.

6. Julio Teheran - You can't give him away. He is only going to get better, almost forced to stick with him.

7. Devin Mesoraco - What choice do you have? 2 Catcher league you have to go with the former top prospect. Reds will improve.

for the record I pick 8. It's tough, good problem to have

8. Jason Kipnis - Call me crazy but still a top 2nd baseman HR/SB and a nice AVG. Bounce back year, bad luck last season.

Archived