NBC Sports Edge Forums

Storm Johnson 2014 outlook

mrfrood

Was a big time high school player in Atlanta, originally committed to LSU then chose Miami. Something happened there and he ended up at South Florida; put up good numbers his senior year and catches balls out of the backfield (which is why I dropped Reaves for him). Obviously talented lets see what happens

I know it seems minor, but he actually attended Central Florida (UCF). He was on the team that beat Baylor in that bowl game. UCF has a bit better track record than USF and generally has produced some really good NFL talent.

Storm was one of those guys in college who did everything well. He wasn't as amazing as Murray for instance, but he was one of those guys who was just a good runner. No amazing speed. No ankle breaking moves. Just a guy who seemed to get things done in the end. He'd make a move here or there. He'd have just enough power to run over DB's. He would have just enough speed to get to the edge. He finds the hole and had good vision.

One of those guys who is a true RB. Not sure if it will translate to the NFL but I'd definitely like to see him get some real chances.

Sort of like Arian Foster? Foster didn't seem to have the best moves or anything but he had good vision and once he got going he could outrun most people.

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was a big time high school player in Atlanta, originally committed to LSU then chose Miami. Something happened there and he ended up at South Florida; put up good numbers his senior year and catches balls out of the backfield (which is why I dropped Reaves for him). Obviously talented lets see what happens

I know it seems minor, but he actually attended Central Florida (UCF). He was on the team that beat Baylor in that bowl game. UCF has a bit better track record than USF and generally has produced some really good NFL talent.

Storm was one of those guys in college who did everything well. He wasn't as amazing as Murray for instance, but he was one of those guys who was just a good runner. No amazing speed. No ankle breaking moves. Just a guy who seemed to get things done in the end. He'd make a move here or there. He'd have just enough power to run over DB's. He would have just enough speed to get to the edge. He finds the hole and had good vision.

One of those guys who is a true RB. Not sure if it will translate to the NFL but I'd definitely like to see him get some real chances.

Your right it was UCF, he had 100+ and 3 tds in their BCS win over Baylor. At this point I'm just looking for an RB to hit and this seems like a decent opportunity... playing with your college QB and behind an average RB should help

whats with the hype on Storm Johnson?

Yall know something i don't know? Gearhart, Denard, and Todman ahead of him.

I know the coaching staff is frustrated with the running game but are they gonna leap frog Storm Johnson into playing time ahead of the other guys?

Id like to add him and we have deep bench spots but i can't add Storm and wait 3-4 weeks for him to do something.

Or can i?

Posted · Hidden by RotoRaysfan, October 4, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by RotoRaysfan, October 4, 2014 - No reason given

I know the coaching staff is frustrated with the running game but are they gonna leap frog Storm Johnson into playing time ahead of the other guys?

Id like to add him and we have deep bench spots but i can't add Storm and wait 3-4 weeks for him to do something.

Or can i?

Gerhart is white.

Denard Robinson is not a between the tackles type runner. He's more change of pace.

Todman is more of a passing down guy, blitz pickup.

Storm Johnson is more of a replacement for Gerhart (remember, he sucks because he's white), not the other two.

Posted · Hidden by RotoRaysfan, October 4, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by RotoRaysfan, October 4, 2014 - No reason given

Or can i?

Gerhart is white.

Denard Robinson is not a between the tackles type runner. He's more change of pace.

Todman is more of a passing down guy, blitz pickup.

Storm Johnson is more of a replacement for Gerhart (remember, he sucks because he's white), not the other two.

I wake up every morning wondering why I drafted a white RB. But the opportunities, I thought! So many opportunities! Hes the workhorse back! There's no1 even close to taking his job.

HE's WHITE YOU MORON! I'm so sad.

They like him that seems to be half the battle. I think if denard can get some room tomorrow he'll be the one to own. But if this guy gets carries and is the one to get the room then what? He'll be the guy to own that's what and I can't risk that on someone else's team with the way rb's are going this year.

I've seen enough from Robinson and I don't think he is or will be the answer. Gerhart sucks. We haven't seen Storm yet. It's like the Zac Stacy situation last year. Hopefully Storm can take this job and run with it like Stacy did last year.

I've seen enough from Robinson and I don't think he is or will be the answer. Gerhart sucks. We haven't seen Storm yet. It's like the Zac Stacy situation last year. Hopefully Storm can take this job and run with it like Stacy did last year.

That's a pretty good comp.

i.e., the same comparison that's been offered up for every 3rd or 4th string RB this year. 'yeah, he might not even get a shot, but he could be this year's Zac Stacy.'

Not saying that you're going to be wrong, just that not every running back who touches the ball and has talent (because let's face it, if they got picked up in the NFL they have to have some amount of talent) is going to become the next big thing, or even be relevant. Besides, I don't think even Murray, McCoy or Lynch could be very viable behind the Jacksonville o-line.

That's a pretty good comp.

i.e., the same comparison that's been offered up for every 3rd or 4th string RB this year. 'yeah, he might not even get a shot, but he could be this year's Zac Stacy.'

Not saying that you're going to be wrong, just that not every running back who touches the ball and has talent (because let's face it, if they got picked up in the NFL they have to have some amount of talent) is going to become the next big thing, or even be relevant. Besides, I don't think even Murray, McCoy or Lynch could be very viable behind the Jacksonville o-line.

Which other 3rd or fourth string rbs you talking about?

Posted · Hidden by phatrat, October 4, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by phatrat, October 4, 2014 - No reason given

Since you dont have a team posted in your sig i'm guessing you have Murray, Forte and Lynch on your 14 teamer. Not all of us are as fortunate as you so we like to seek out possible 'sleepers' to help with our deficiencies. Congrats on a great draft bra

I would be pretty cautious saying this is a Zac Stacy situation and getting high hopes that that will repeat itself in Jacksonville. It's a shot in the dark at best right now. I don't see Gerhart going anywhere, at least not yet. If you've got an open bench spot and need RB help very badly I could see it but I wouldn't expect anyone to drop anyone with upside or marginal value for him.

Since you dont have a team posted in your sig i'm guessing you have Murray, Forte and Lynch on your 14 teamer. Not all of us are as fortunate as you so we like to seek out possible 'sleepers' to help with our deficiencies. Congrats on a great draft bra

Thanks. I did do an awesome job so I'm not already giving up in week 4 and grasping at borderline practice squad "sleepers".

Thanks. I did do an awesome job so I'm not already giving up in week 4 and grasping at borderline practice squad "sleepers".

Easily the coolest story I've seen all day.

He's got

I don't see Gerhart going anywhere, at least not yet.

Are you kidding me? Gerhart is far from firmly entrenched, he has been pedestrian at best. Guaranteed there is a lot of disappointment with him within the Jag's management. No telling how Johnson will perform, but if he can show some spark and some hope for the running game, there wouldn't be much hesitation to kick Toby to the curb.

They've already made the move to Bortles at QB to have their future begin now, no reason to wait at the RB position either.

He's got

I don't see Gerhart going anywhere, at least not yet.

Are you kidding me? Gerhart is far from firmly entrenched, he has been pedestrian at best. Guaranteed there is a lot of disappointment with him within the Jag's management. No telling how Johnson will perform, but if he can show some spark and some hope for the running game, there wouldn't be much hesitation to kick Toby to the curb.

They've already made the move to Bortles at QB to have their future begin now, no reason to wait at the RB position either.

They just signed him to a 3 year contract, and he has shown to be somewhat capable in the past in short stunts. How many times have we seen ineffective fantasy veteran RBs block young guys? And a lot of those young backups had much higher upside than Storm. I do not see them benching Gerhart for Storm Johnson anytime soon, just my opinion, but no signs point to Storm being any less pedestrian than Gerhart is right now. Gerhart isn't the only problem on that team.

Archived