NBC Sports Edge Forums

Storm Johnson 2014 outlook

mrfrood

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's got

I don't see Gerhart going anywhere, at least not yet.

Are you kidding me? Gerhart is far from firmly entrenched, he has been pedestrian at best. Guaranteed there is a lot of disappointment with him within the Jag's management. No telling how Johnson will perform, but if he can show some spark and some hope for the running game, there wouldn't be much hesitation to kick Toby to the curb.

They've already made the move to Bortles at QB to have their future begin now, no reason to wait at the RB position either.

... no signs point to Storm being any less pedestrian than Gerhart is right now.

Crystal ball assessment? Has yet to have an NFL carry. You maybe wanna give the guy a carry or two before you make conclusions?

He's got

Are you kidding me? Gerhart is far from firmly entrenched, he has been pedestrian at best. Guaranteed there is a lot of disappointment with him within the Jag's management. No telling how Johnson will perform, but if he can show some spark and some hope for the running game, there wouldn't be much hesitation to kick Toby to the curb.

They've already made the move to Bortles at QB to have their future begin now, no reason to wait at the RB position either.

... no signs point to Storm being any less pedestrian than Gerhart is right now.

Crystal ball assessment? Has yet to have an NFL carry. You maybe wanna give the guy a carry or two before you make conclusions?

That was kind of my point... you make it sound like he will supplant Gerhart and be the answer at RB. All I'm saying is he could just as easily be as bad or worse than Gerhart has been so far. You're being awfully defensive about the guy who has 0 NFL carries.

I've seen enough from Robinson and I don't think he is or will be the answer. Gerhart sucks. We haven't seen Storm yet. It's like the Zac Stacy situation last year. Hopefully Storm can take this job and run with it like Stacy did last year.

Even if Johnson becomes the starting RB, his value will be nowhere near Stacy's. The problem is that Jacksonville's offensive line is still in the bottom 5-ish of the league and will restrict the success of their run game and their offense in general. Bortles starting over Henne will help, but it will still be incredibly difficult for any Jaguars RB to be successful running behind that line.

His coach said he would start to get carries this week. Those of us who picked him up are just taking a chance thst he starts to show well and can possibly take over the Jags backfield at some point this year. No one has said he IS going to put up Zac Stacey's numbers, but that it is a similar SITUATION to his (starting season inactive and coming into an underwhelming backfield). Some people roster handcuffs, some look to situations like this...

This is my two cents take it for what it is worth....

Gearhart is a power runner, not made for a zone blocking scheme more made for a power blocking scheme. What's happening to Gearhart is the same thing that happend to MJD AND DMC last year when JAC and OAK switched to a zone blocking scheme, it was not pretty.

Zone blocking is about having great vision and being able to plant your foot down and make one cut as a RB to find the lanes. This is not a scheme that fits Gearharts running at all.

Storm Johnson: Has great vision in the backfield, a VERY good one cut running back (perfect for zone blocking), big power back with okay speed. Storm is great in the screen game and a very slippery RB. The bad about Storm is he has ball security issues fumbled 8 times on 366 caries, I believe this is why he has not got his chance and fell in the draft, RB's with this problem usually don't get drafted.

I believe Storm can EASILY take over this backfield, just watch the tape on Gearhart he is horrific JAC line is not that bad if you watch there is lanes but Gearhart does not see them and just runs into his OLine. If Storm can take care of the ball I believe Storm takes over primary RB by week 8 or 9.

He's got

That was kind of my point... you make it sound like he will supplant Gerhart and be the answer at RB. All I'm saying is he could just as easily be as bad or worse than Gerhart has been so far. You're being awfully defensive about the guy who has 0 NFL carries.

Feel like I'm debating with a wall, or at least someone who selectively reads. How in the hell do you get that I make it sound like he will supplant Gerhart?? What I said was:

"No telling how Johnson will perform, but IF he can show some spark and some hope for the running game, there wouldn't be much hesitation to kick Toby to the curb."

I made no claims about whether or not SJ would earn the position, my point to you was that if he steps up and shows talent and promise, there won't be any undying loyalty to Gerhart.

C'mon man...reading comprehension...it's a beautiful thing.

Posted · Hidden by dzemens, October 5, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by dzemens, October 5, 2014 - No reason given

2 rushes for 26 yards! CAN YOU FEEL THE STORM

winter is coming

Interesting to see how the carries were divvied yesterday. I'm not ready to crown Storm as the new lead back for Jax just yet, but it certainly looks like the train is headed in that direction. The bad part about owning him, even if he becomes the Jags' lead back, is that his team will be losing a lot of games and playing catch-up almost every week. Even as their eventual No1 back, there will be a lot of 9-12 carry games.

Interesting to see how the carries were divvied yesterday. I'm not ready to crown Storm as the new lead back for Jax just yet, but it certainly looks like the train is headed in that direction. The bad part about owning him, even if he becomes the Jags' lead back, is that his team will be losing a lot of games and playing catch-up almost every week. Even as their eventual No1 back, there will be a lot of 9-12 carry games.

9-12 carries at 6.75 YPC is still pretty sweet! That's a floor of 60-80 yards plus a chance at a td!

9-12 carries at 6.75 YPC is still pretty sweet! That's a floor of 60-80 yards plus a chance at a td!

Extrapolation is fun!

But seriously, I'm going to bid on him. My RBs are becoming more depressing by the week and he worth a roll of the dice

You have to believe after yesterday they give Storm more opportunities, he had the longest run for a Jaguar RB the hole season on his 1st carry of the game. He also had a 9 yd play turned back by holding.

It seems the Jaguars are frustrated in Gearheart and are probably going to give Storm 10-15 touches next week to see what he can do with a more expanded role. I would not be surprised around Wednesday or Thursday you hear Gus Bradley say something along the lines of "we liked what we saw from Storm Johnson and will give home some more playing time and touches going forward".

He is worth a stash and waiver wire claim this week, it is better to jump the gun. Next week he could have a great game and be a hot commodity.

Storm had 4 carries; Gerhart had 4 carries; Robinson 3 carries.

Storm had 4 carries; Gerhart had 4 carries; Robinson 3 carries.

And you're point is...? I know that sounds rude, but not trying to be. Just not sure what you're trying to get across.

If he were to take over I'd say we see more 15-18 touch weeks then 9-12. But all speculation until the guard changes officially.

Maybe you're right, but Jax RBs have 80 carries in 5 games...that's an avg of 16 carries per game for their RBs. You're talking touches, and I'm talking carries. I'd say 12-14 touches if we add in 2-3 receptions per game. I have a hard time seeing more at this point with an offense that looks like it will be trying to catch up every week. Even in a game against Pittsburgh in which they were within striking distance all game, they still only managed 15 carries (4 by the QB).

Archived