NBC Sports Edge Forums

Reynaldo Lopez - SP WAS

In addition, Giolito wasn't exactly sterling today in his stead (3.1 IP, 4 hits, 4 runs, 2 ER, 3 BB's, 0 K's). Joe Ross is expected back next week, so barring a trade it's likely both Lopez and Giolito stay down for awhile.

At least Lopez had a solid K ratio in his first start, and if he keeps throwing like this he may be the first one called back next time around (pitching so effectively as a starter has to be making it difficult for the Nats to consider transitioning Lopez to the bullpen, though if they "strikeout" on Chapman/Miller/Wade Davis they may give it a shot anyway, especially if the rotation continues to block him).

Edited by Dark One
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...
9 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan4Life said:

Is this guy likely the first callup for the White Sox?  Has anyone been following him in the minors?

From what I have read it looks like Lopez will be the first guy they call up if they need a pitcher. I'm not sure what to make of him though. he is a top 50 prospect and as high as mid 20's on BA. He's just not as exciting as other prospects IMO

3.55 ERA, 38 innings, 39 strikeouts ,19 walks, 33 hits, 15 ER's

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rrrich46 said:

I have a completely unsubstantiated feeling he is the next SP prospect to get the call....

He certainly seems like the most likely top 100 SP to get the call as a SP. As Lamet shows, it can come out of nowhere sometimes for middle range prospects. Lopez just needs to keep showing he can command & control his stuff and he's not far away.

Just now, oswald737 said:

He certainly seems like the most likely top 100 SP to get the call as a SP. As Lamet shows, it can come out of nowhere sometimes for middle range prospects. Lopez just needs to keep showing he can command & control his stuff and he's not far away.

Well the Pale Hose just called up someone else (Not Giolito) to take Covey's spot. So we'll keep waiting a bit..

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:37 AM, smeeze said:

Seems like those waiting on CWS prospects are going to end up disappointed as the team has no reason to rush any of these guys at the moment.

I traded Reynaldo.  I own Giolito and Moncada, honeslty I'd rather them wait and finish their development VS rushing.  Better than them seeing the field and flaming out.

11 hours ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

Is there a reason he hasn't pitched in 10 days? I think his start was skipped.

30 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

I believe Lopez missed his last start because of an undisclosed personal matter.

Asprilla is right...this is from CBS a few days ago.

White Sox's Reynaldo Lopez: Scratched due to personal matter
by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire

Lopez was scratched from his scheduled start Wednesday due to a personal matter, Scott Merkin of MLB.com reports.

The White Sox didn't specify what Lopez was dealing with, but they indicated that he would be back in the rotation for his next start. The 23-year-old has a 3.82 ERA and 1.30 WHIP through 12 starts (66 innings) with Triple-A Charlotte this season.

• 2 weeks later...

He had a great start on Thursday. 

Chicago White Sox prospect Reynaldo Lopez had an excellent start yesterday for Triple-A Charlotte, fanning 11 in 6.2 innings against Columbus, allowing six hits, one walk, and one run. He’s been erratic this year and has a 4.22 ERA in 81 innings, 79/35 K/BB. 

In his last 10 games he pitched 54.2 innings, 21 walks and 51 Ks. 8 out of his last 10 he has issued 3 walks or less (6 games with 2 or less). 

I touched on this a month or so ago but didn't really get any opinions. Is anyone high on Reynaldo Lopez? I've been stashing him in my dynasty league but I'm not sure what to make of him. BA had an article about him back in Janurary and this is a piece of it:

"Lucas Giolito is the biggest name coming from Washington, and Dane Dunning is viewed as a potential top-end starter down the road.

But when enough time passes, Reynaldo Lopez might be the best piece of the deal. Giolito and Lopez were the Nats’ top two pitching propects, and both righthanders made it to the major leagues last season."

prior to the season he was a top 30-40 prospect on a few lists but sometimes I'm not sure he deserves to be considered a top 40 prospect. Is he overrated? The White Sox seem like they want him to remain a starter but do you think he will stick? 

Not trying to get to bench coach in here but I have him eating up 1 of 5  bench spots and I'm trying to determine if it's worth it. 

I live in Charlotte and went to the game Thursday. I didn't pay super close attention but his velocity was up early and down later. I saw 98 regularly early on and 94 regularly in the later innings. Not sure if he gets fatigued and loses velo, but I found it a bit concerning.

I have no shares btw.

• 3 weeks later...

`

48 minutes ago, einstein2u said:

could he take Q spot?

I'm questioning the same thing, but as of now its...

1. Holland

2. Rodon

3. Shields

4. Miguel Gonzalez

5. Pelfrey

**in whatever order you want

Thinking of stashing him in my NA spot. Don't see why he can't crack that rotation.

His breaking stuff was on point last night. Generated some awful swings and misses on the slider. Looked like you want a prospect before a call to the big leagues, but we'll see if an opportunity arises. Probably going to take a trade, injury or September.

That said, the White Sox have a history of being more aggressive with their pitching prospects than almost any other team (Sale, Rodon, and farther back)