NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Toronto Blue Jays 2015 Outlook

MiggyRunsTings

just traded Lind for Estrada. i don't really feel one way or another about this; two average 31 yr-olds. i think i like it more than i don't though; i'm just so tired of lind here as a Jay, even if he did finish well as a platoon guy. Estrada is a year removed from a pretty nice year. not sure if he was brought here to contend for a starters job or not, either way i don't mind the gamble. worst case he doesn't pan out and we lost nothing, really.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just traded Lind for Estrada. i don't really feel one way or another about this; two average 31 yr-olds. i think i like it more than i don't though; i'm just so tired of lind here as a Jay, even if he did finish well as a platoon guy. Estrada is a year removed from a pretty nice year. not sure if he was brought here to contend for a starters job or not, either way i don't mind the gamble. worst case he doesn't pan out and we lost nothing, really.

Worst case is he gives up a million HR in that park. If they keep him in the bullpen as a mop up type early on, then its little risk. They probably didn't want to pay Lind. Lind was not as valuable to them as his price because of Edwin and having Bautista being able to play 1B now.

The big factor in this trade is the extra OF spot the Blue Jays should have now, because I'd assume Edwin will be a full time DH and Bautista a full time 1B. Maybe it opens up a spot for Pompey, or maybe they will just sign a free agent.

Joey will remain in RF and Edwin at 1st/DH. Joey bats a full time 1B is just stupid...do you watch the jays?

I don't watch them very often to be honest, I just noticed Bautista was playing a decent amount of 1B and Edwin was DHing a lot toward the end of the year. It would make sense to do this especially to keep both guys healthy throughout the year.

• 2 weeks later...

Just signed Martin. Liked the signing of Smoak and trade for Travis and the trade for Estrada. Think the 16 million per year they just spent on Martin could have been better used on an outfielder considering they already have Navarro. Hope they still have budget to bring back Melky and sign another outfielder.

Always have been a fan of Russell Martin ( Enjoyed Navarro and was clutch for us ). With the young pitchers coming up Martin is going to make a big difference in their development. Lets not forget his offense isn't bad at all and moving to the rogers center should only help him.

Is the contract a big high? yes but you have to remember how hard it is to sign FA's for Toronto. Remember this is OUR money they are spending on Martin, Do I prefer them to give me my money back? Yes but that's not going to happen so sure put it towards my team. I am a die hard Jays fan but if they start winning big games the fans will pack that sky dome every night. Money isn't a big issue here. Crazy I believe this is the top 2-3 contract the Jays gave out ever.

Move Navarro for the highest price now or can Martin catch the knuckle? I have no idea, if he can I would love to keep Navarro unless the Jays get a decent offer bullpen/sp help.

Melky is the tough question now, I personally loved his play next year but if I have to choose I'd rather Headley.

Contract is long and pricey but remember somebody would have done this and the Jays are finally spending money and getting FA's with our money.

SP is tough because I feel like we need a #2 SP but our SP depth is deep with a bunch of #3, 4, and 5. Maybe another trade?

Jays lineup when healthy looks great...

Thank you AA and the Jays for keeping things interesting!

Not sure what you mean by our money. Yes the Jays don't have that lucrative TV deal that gives us the money to buy the free agents. We got the next best thing though, being owned by the TV company itself. They also own the stadium. Rogers has being busy buying up other companies though so the money was tighter. Think they are done buying for now so they are spending a little on the Jays. Look at the names they have been rumoured on, Lester, Ramirez, Miller, Markakis...money is coming from somewhere and they probably realize this is there chance to win as a few of the contracts are up after this next season and they aren't likely coming back.

As far as Navarro goes, we also know he can't catch the knuckle otherwise he would have been in there instead of Thole at least once in a while. Talk is moving him to platoon in the DH role. I'd rather play Thole every fifth day and sell Navarro back to the cubbies. I get the feeling they are not done spending and then I think you will see them sell off some extra pieces to rebuild the farm again and free up a bit of money. Hope they can buy low on at least one outfielder who is looking to rebuild his value. The Rogers center has a tendency to do that. It doesn't do much for average but it definitely inflates the power numbers. Heck a guy like Rasmus can hit 18 homers when playing part time. I can't image how many HR's a guy like Stanton would hit in the Rogers center even he played one season with the Jays.

I am pretty sure they resolved the tax issue thing a few years ago so the ball players didn't have to pay the taxes the rest of us do. I think it has more to do with getting used to living in igloos and being chased by Mounties. I joke about the igloos but it is going down to -17C tonight and if it keeps up we are getting a snow day tomorrow. This is why we play in a dome!

Paid alot of $$$ for that .336 BABIP

Nah they paid for defense, walks and power in that order. Everyone knows he's a 250 hitter.

Two years ago he got 2-$17 in FA -- and he was two years younger.

What's changed other than his BABIP and the frothy market?

his WAR. last year he was top 3 among catchers in WAR, behind only Buster Posey and Lucroy. HIs defense was only 2nd to Salvador Perez. the year before, even though he hit .225 or whatever, his WAR was top 5 because he had one of the best defensive seasons at the catcher position of all time.

these last 2 years the statistics suggest he's a top 3 catcher in baseball.

he threw out 38% of basestealers last year only behind yadier.

there's probably an argument to be made for the most critical defensive position being catcher, and we just landed one of the best. that's why he's getting so much money i would think. his WAR has really taken off in the last 2 years; driven primarily by his defense (which was really high in the beginning of his career, but tailed off a bit in the middle).

He's also a top 3 pitch framer in the bigs. Navarro ranked 99th last year.

He's projected to be 2 wins better than Navarro just based on how he frames pitches.

He's also in phenomenal shape not just for a catcher but for any player in the league. His BABIP will go down but his power will go up. His road HR/FB% was double what it was at home as PIT's park is possibly the worst for right handed power. He could hit 20 at the Rogers Centre.

streaky or not; i think most of this contract was given based on what he can do behind the plate and what he can do for a pitching staff.

i'll be honest, i haven't watched him hardly at all throughout his career, so i'm pretty interested to see his defense on display here. the jays have seemingly never had even an average backstopped in a long time; base stealers were almost assured of getting to 2nd and sometimes 3rd if they reached. throwing out almost 40% of runners is insane.

if he can just get on base at a decent clip, he should fit in nicely with our big bats. i'm more concerned and interested whether he can live up to the defensive hype (top 2 catcher in baseball last 2 seasons defensively).

Martin is a huge singing for The Jays. Russell Martin isn't a flashy fantasy player but he is a vastly under rated real life player.

I think this contract and the general praise this deal has received with a lot of people has proved that Martin really isn't underrated. All of his supporters just love to say that. He is simply a defense first type player that unless you watch all 162 games plus hundreds of games for other teams you barely notice the difference in catcher defense.

But most knowledgable people know this already, so he is in fact not underrated. If anything, he is getting overrated by a lot of people.

His WAR is up because of a high BABIP. Yes he's great defensively, but is that worth this deal? 2011, 2012, 2013 his offense was horrible. If you assume 2 of these 5 years you are getting good offense, this probably isn't a good signing. And 2 years is a lot to give him, IMO. I'd expect him to be pretty terrible in a few years.

Martin is a huge singing for The Jays. Russell Martin isn't a flashy fantasy player but he is a vastly under rated real life player.

I think this contract and the general praise this deal has received with a lot of people has proved that Martin really isn't underrated. All of his supporters just love to say that. He is simply a defense first type player that unless you watch all 162 games plus hundreds of games for other teams you barely notice the difference in catcher defense.

But most knowledgable people know this already, so he is in fact not underrated. If anything, he is getting overrated by a lot of people.

His WAR is up because of a high BABIP. Yes he's great defensively, but is that worth this deal? 2011, 2012, 2013 his offense was horrible. If you assume 2 of these 5 years you are getting good offense, this probably isn't a good signing. And 2 years is a lot to give him, IMO. I'd expect him to be pretty terrible in a few years.

I think you're getting "horrible" mixed up with "league average." And league average is above average for a catcher.

Archived