NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Toronto Blue Jays 2015 Outlook

MiggyRunsTings

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't complain with the addition of Donaldson, but how about swinging a deal or deals for some quality starting pitching? Hmm...ya think?

7th in MLB in starter WAR last year. Is that really a big need?

Getting an all star in the middle of the lineup should never not be a priority when the opportunity arises.

Donaldson, while not as athletic as Lawrie, is a gold-glove caliber 3B in his own right - a nice, steady presence on the hot corner. He has great instincts, a real quick glove, and always seems to be in the right position to make the play.

On the offensive note, he could be an absolute beast. The only problem for the Jays is what order to put all their power bats in. Bautista, Encarnacion, Martin, and now Donaldson are all middle of the order bats - that will be a 3 through 6 that opposing pitchers will, and should, be fearful of.

With Reyes at the top of the order, they just need a #2 hitter to set the table for those guys.

Could be a fun year of watching A LOT of balls flying out of the Rogers Center.

Donaldson, while not as athletic as Lawrie, is a gold-glove caliber 3B in his own right - a nice, steady presence on the hot corner. He has great instincts, a real quick glove, and always seems to be in the right position to make the play.

On the offensive note, he could be an absolute beast. The only problem for the Jays is what order to put all their power bats in. Bautista, Encarnacion, Martin, and now Donaldson are all middle of the order bats - that will be a 3 through 6 that opposing pitchers will, and should, be fearful of.

With Reyes at the top of the order, they just need a #2 hitter to set the table for those guys.

I wouldn't include Martin in that group

I wouldn't include Martin in that group

Ok, so Bautista, Encarnacion, and Donaldson in whatever order 3 through 5, and Martin at 6.

If they can get Melky back and plug him in at the 2 spot, they have a deadly lineup. Or maybe you put Donaldson at the 2 spot in front of Bautista and E5, then Melky at 5.

Main problem with this lineup is so righty heavy, but signing Melky would be huge for improving that.

Why?

To significantly upgrade 3B?

O, you mean why did the A's trade Donaldson's 4 years of control for Lawire, a far off SS prospect and 2 pitchers..

Not a clue..

Not talking about the deal, which was good, but was asking Why it was funny that the subtitle of this thread was asking if AA's shine had worn off.

Geez. If Pompey is the starting CF next season, his value only goes up after this. In particular if he can bat 1st or second in this kind of lineup.

I was likely not keeping him next year, but his stock just seems to keep rising.

Pompey at the top of the lineup is a pretty interesting thought. I haven't heard ANY talk about that at all, but it would be really cool to see the kid batting between Reyes and those guys. Would also mean the Jays could address the LF situation with a more defensive (dare I say cheaper) option, and use any remaining money for a starter and/or bullpen help.

Reyes

Pompey

Bautista

Encarnacion

Donaldson

Martin

Navarro? (or whatever DH they use)

Devon Travis?

whoever they have in LF

That's a pretty deadly lineup - deeper than most, if not all, lineups in the majors.

I was just going to say they might have the most formidable lineup now. If they bring back Melky, they easily have the most formidable lineup from top to bottom. And even if they don't... I would sit most pitchers against them.

Devon Travis

Russell Martin

Josh Donaldson

That's an awesome offseason. They have a decent rotation, but if they want to be WS contenders they could use one or two upgrades on that staff. Otherwise, they're banking on two old pitchers in Dickey and Buehrle continuing to do what they've done and two young pitchers in Hutchison and Stroman taking a big leap forward in 2015.

Now looking something like:

Reyes
Pompey
Bautista
Encarnacion
Donaldson

Saunders
Martin
Smoak/Navarro
Devon Travis?

I think the Jays will end up with Collaspo or Beckham at 2nd, don't think they will bring up Travis right away. Now they just need some pitching.

Dickey

Buehrle

Stroman

Hutchison
Sanchez

Closer?

Hopefully Miller or Robertson

The fact that the Jays need a closer makes them attractive to late-inning relievers. Anyone hoping to get a closer role to cash in on a big contract would possibly come here.

With Saunders, Pompey/Pillar, and Bautista in the outfield, that's a pretty awesome outfield defensively. If they do sign Melky, Saunders could possibly move to CF if they don't want to lean heavily on Pompey.

I think the money they save by having Saunders/Pompey instead of Melky/Saunders would probably be better used signing (or trading for, if possible) a close-to-elite starter.

It's shaping up to be a pretty solid team. Hopefully they don't disappoint.

It's shaping up to be a pretty solid team. Hopefully they don't disappoint.

I thought that last season. And was woefully disappointed. I'm lowering my expectations for the coming season until the Blue Jays add more quality pitching.

Nice trade with Happ for Saunders. I did like Happ he did his part on this team and should be good with Seattle in that park.

Melky is officially not happening.

I don't think the Jays have the money or desire for Max, and most likely Lester.

I'd like to see a strong push for....

SP - Shields if not - Beachy / Medlen / McCarthy

RP - Romo / Roberston / Miller pending demands - Grilli / Neshek / Crain

2ND - Lowrie

While upgrading bench players

Nice trade with Happ for Saunders. I did like Happ he did his part on this team and should be good with Seattle in that park.

For me, I didn't get the trade.

Sure, the Jays are putting together a nice lineup (ala BoSox), but they don't have the pitching (ala BoSox) to contend for any sort of crown, imo.

Are they that convinced that Sanchez/Norris/Stroman are ready for the big time? Yes, I love their potential as much as the next guy - but they are all so young and inexperienced. Toss in Hutchison's limited experience and you've got three kids in the rotation. I'd also have to assume if they do plan on going with two of these youngsters in the rotation, they'll be on innings limitations. The left-handed Happ sure could have soaked up some innings for them and reduced some of the stress on the bullpen.

I do realize they were unlikely to re-sign Melky and needed a replacement. And, perhaps they liked the fact that Saunders is a Canadian boy - but I'd much prefer a middling lefty starter over a middling outfielder.

Sure, the Jays are putting together a nice lineup (ala BoSox), but they don't have the pitching (ala BoSox) to contend for any sort of crown, imo.

Are they that convinced that Sanchez/Norris/Stroman are ready for the big time? Yes, I love their potential as much as the next guy - but they are all so young and inexperienced. Toss in Hutchison's limited experience and you've got three kids in the rotation. I'd also have to assume if they do plan on going with two of these youngsters in the rotation, they'll be on innings limitations. The left-handed Happ sure could have soaked up some innings for them and reduced some of the stress on the bullpen.

I do realize they were unlikely to re-sign Melky and needed a replacement. And, perhaps they liked the fact that Saunders is a Canadian boy - but I'd much prefer a middling lefty starter over a middling outfielder.

But Happ was a mediocre pitcher anyway. He was one of the reasons their pitching is being questioned. The trade is low impact player for low impact player.

from my viewpoint, the trade actually lends to your exact point. why spend 50 million on a left fielder, if you can fill that hole with a cheap, high upside LF (saunders) and spend that money elsewhere, ie. on pitching. i would be shocked if after saving all that melky money they just decide to sit on it, and carry on. i would think that money would obviously go towards trying to attract a pitcher instead. way too early to be making assessments on the offseason; all you can do is make assessments on the trades themselves, and to me, JA Happ for Saunders is a great trade. as mentioned, Happ is not a rotation guy on a winning team, so I don't see why he was needed. we DID need a LF and Saunders was probably the best bang for your buck in the market. if he stays healthy this deal could look silly at seasons end.

But Happ was a mediocre pitcher anyway. He was one of the reasons their pitching is being questioned. The trade is low impact player for low impact player.

I agree that, to me, they are both mediocre guys. In which case, I'd prefer to hold onto a left-handed swing guy over a corner outfielder who has battled injuries and has questionable on base skills. I figured in Happ, they at least had a guy that could come in as the #5 starter IF one of the three youngsters aren't ready for prime time.

from my viewpoint, the trade actually lends to your exact point. why spend 50 million on a left fielder, if you can fill that hole with a cheap, high upside LF (saunders) and spend that money elsewhere, ie. on pitching. i would be shocked if after saving all that melky money they just decide to sit on it, and carry on. i would think that money would obviously go towards trying to attract a pitcher instead. way too early to be making assessments on the offseason; all you can do is make assessments on the trades themselves, and to me, JA Happ for Saunders is a great trade. as mentioned, Happ is not a rotation guy on a winning team, so I don't see why he was needed. we DID need a LF and Saunders was probably the best bang for your buck in the market. if he stays healthy this deal could look silly at seasons end.

Perhaps you are right, Miggy. I guess we just differ on Saunders being a potential "high upside" guy. You like him. I'm not crazy about him. It's all good though......

Could he prove to be a better value than Happ? Sure. I'd simply prefer to hold on to Happ as a safeguard against one of the youngsters not being ready. Worse case, Happ is a nice lefty long-relief guy out of the pen. I suppose I'd personally prefer the insurance (of Happ) over a mediocre corner outfielder like Saunders (who has some minor issues staying fully healthy, may need to be platooned for, and isn't the greatest OBP guy).

Saunders does get a nice upgrade with the ballpark though, so who knows.....

Jays get 2 years of Saunders over 1 year of Happ. They avoid paying Melky 13-15M and they also get a draft pick when he leaves. They also have Estrada for the #5 spot and about 20M left to find a #5 starter if they don't like Estrada.

By acquiring Saunders they get more left-handed, better defensively and younger which were all big weaknesses.

Saunders just made sense fits the batting lineup, cost, OF was weak ( still is ), avoid spending big on Melky and the Canadian aspect does play a bit into.

They will take this money saved and make some more moves. Estrada will be #5 / long relief.

I'm happy we didn't into Melky's demands. Spend that money somewhere else SP/RP/2nd/Bench

Jays get 2 years of Saunders over 1 year of Happ. They avoid paying Melky 13-15M and they also get a draft pick when he leaves. They also have Estrada for the #5 spot and about 20M left to find a #5 starter if they don't like Estrada.

By acquiring Saunders they get more left-handed, better defensively and younger which were all big weaknesses.

Saunders just made sense fits the batting lineup, cost, OF was weak ( still is ), avoid spending big on Melky and the Canadian aspect does play a bit into.

They will take this money saved and make some more moves. Estrada will be #5 / long relief.

I'm happy we didn't into Melky's demands. Spend that money somewhere else SP/RP/2nd/Bench

Yeah, I forgot they added Estrada. I'd still hesitate to part with a veteran lefty that easily - but I am CLEARLY in the minority here (in fact, I'm standing alone without a date on this one) - so I'll try to warm up to the trade as a good one for the Jays.....

Archived