NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Toronto Blue Jays 2015 Outlook

MiggyRunsTings

They needed a starting outfielder regardless. Before the trade they were starting pillar and pompey with no outfield backup on the roster. That is a much, much bigger problem than having norris and sanchez as the 6 and 7 options for the rotation, and its not even close.

Is the pitching depth suspect? Sure, but its december. Id be shocked if they dont sign or trade for another starting pitcher with the freed up payroll they wouldn't have if they addressed the outfield in free agency.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didnt want to move Happ. I thought he was a good fit and did his job but the trade with Lind/Estrada made him expandable. The demands from Melky/Markakis were a bit steep which left AA not many options. Our OF is still weak including the depth. There is potential now but still rather weak.

The deal just made too much sense to decline or not offer. Off season is still young.

I have no problem with Toronto parting ways with Happ. Saunders doesn't really get me excited though. Still, I like the swap.

No to Melky's $ demands. Sounded like he didn't want to play in Canada anymore anyway. He mentioned the artificial turf, but I suspect it goes deeper than that.

Still hoping the Jays make a big splash with a better than decent SP coming in. We'll see.

I don't see Martin dh'ing at all. They have Smoak, Navarro, E5 and Bautista who will be rotating in and out of DH. Martin will catch 80% of the time because of is defensive skills. He will get rest every 5th day with Thole catching the knuckleball, unless Martin proves he can catch the knuckle in ST. This is my best guess anyways. I still think Navarro will get traded to AZ for a prospect freeing up some cash or prospect that they can flip for bullpen help or a second baseman. Although talk is that Sanchez will be in the bullpen so they may look for a cheap starter too. I think they are done signing free agents, they will continue to trace away there farm for decent players with controllable salaries. They basically have this year to win before they have a bunch of guys leave next year.

Pretty sure Josh Johnson was last. Can see why they would be gunshy now. They also resigned Morrow. And let's not forget the extension forget that guy in the minors making 12 million per season who's name I can't remember right now so I successfully forgot. I'm ok with Sanchez and Norris getting a shot. Estrada too for that matter. When was the last time you saw a good pitching performance from a starter at Rogers Center by any pitcher? Unless you can strike out 15 batters a game your numbers will be inflated by the Hr's and the turf that a lot of ground balls go for base hits as well. Free agents pitchers have to be desperate to come to Toronto. When was the last time you saw a pitcher leave Toronto and get a big contract after?

Cause "nobody wants to play on turf" is what Toronto media keeps saying... Except for Bob Mccown...

Maybe we'd get some FAs if the team didn't have a policy on signing people for 5 years or less ONLY. What a crock. Toronto is one of the top sports markets on the planet... Rogers is a massive telecommunications company with too much money. Bring in a big FA sometime... Spend some dollars... Go sign James Shields for 7 years or something. Do something. Gah.

Any contract longer than 5 years is a disaster these days. This isn't the steroids era where guys go until they're 40.

James Shields has tons of mileage on his arm and is basically a 3.50 ERA in the AL East. It's nowhere near worth it.

Pitchers are so volatile that it's best to just draft as many as you can every year and cycle through them. I mean, when guys like Verlander sign a huge contract and IMMEDIATELY fall off a cliff, you have to be scared.

True. You're better off overpaying for four years then committing to 7 or 8 unless it's a young free agent.

No FA is going to say "Yeah, you can pay me 40 million for 4 years instead of 90 million for 7"... They want security as much as a lot of pay.

NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL... they pay a lot for players because the money is there. Don't kid yourself... The Blue Jays could easily pay upwards of 190 million a year. Rogers is freaking HUGE... I don't care if we pay a fortune for the last 3 years of someone's contract... get me a winning team and I'll support it. Until then, good luck filling up the stadium.

What are you complaining about? The Blue Jays have had a great offseason...

Josh Donaldson

Devon Travis

Russell Martin

Three massive upgrades at three positions.

So? The bullpen is still a mess, the starting rotation is still questionable, there isn't anyone to play 2nd and we're relying on Dalton Pompey to be a full time OF.

People are talking about spending too much money in this thread on players... I'm saying they need to. Martin is 31, plays catcher, and has an expensive contract. I'm cool with it... I don't care if he ages terribly and bottoms out in 2 years. The team is built to win now, so go out and pay someone to come in and win now. They should have outbid the Astros for Neshek... They should have been in on Andrew Miller more than anyone else. Overpay... do it. That's the nature of the MLB and most other sports. You have to pay to win.

Marco Estrada and Michael Saunders were also decent acquisitions. Travis will play 2nd. He may start out in the minors, or he may win the job out of Spring Training, but the job will be his soon enough. Pompey has the potential to be a very good outfielder. I'd be excited to have MLB-ready prospects like Pompey and Travis in my system if I were you.

True. You're better off overpaying for four years then committing to 7 or 8 unless it's a young free agent.

No FA is going to say "Yeah, you can pay me 40 million for 4 years instead of 90 million for 7"... They want security as much as a lot of pay.

NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL... they pay a lot for players because the money is there. Don't kid yourself... The Blue Jays could easily pay upwards of 190 million a year. Rogers is freaking HUGE... I don't care if we pay a fortune for the last 3 years of someone's contract... get me a winning team and I'll support it. Until then, good luck filling up the stadium.

Which would you rather have as a player:

A four year 40m contract with a 25m signing bonus paid immediately. Total value 65m.

Or 7 years, 90m?

To do the former a franchise would have to be flush with cash...as Rogers is.

A four year 40m contract with a 25m signing bonus paid immediately. Total value 65m.

Or 7 years, 90m?

No s---. Why wouldn't you take something that gives you 65 million in a short span? I never said that wouldn't make sense for a player. But they also want a longer term.

Or 7 years, 90m?

No ****. Why wouldn't you take something that gives you 65 million in a short span? I never said that wouldn't make sense for a player. But they also want a longer term.

I'm saying pay them more for a shorter term to make them forgo the extra "job security" that comes with a longer term.

Marco Estrada and Michael Saunders were also decent acquisitions. Travis will play 2nd. He may start out in the minors, or he may win the job out of Spring Training, but the job will be his soon enough. Pompey has the potential to be a very good outfielder. I'd be excited to have MLB-ready prospects like Pompey and Travis in my system if I were you.

you're highly over-estimating the MLB-readiness of these players. you forgot to include the options that neither turn out to be everyday players at all, and there are gaping holes at both positions. anthony gose was as hyped coming up if not more, and although he's done okay, he's not really turned into a fixed piece of an everyday lineup. travis snyder, diddo. these lists are very large. assuming that prospects or guys that have had a successful cup of coffee in the bigs, are surely going to be everyday guys at some point, is just not realistic.

furthermore, i think many would agree that the pitching has been this team's weakness for...ever. we failed to address this issue. there's still more offseason left, but it's starting to look like we've seen most of the impact-type moves already. when the bats are cool, the pitching will need to be counted on, and this staff is still sub-par/unproven. i'm also expecting regression from the old guys that pitched over their head last year.

you're highly over-estimating the MLB-readiness of these players. you forgot to include the options that neither turn out to be everyday players at all, and there are gaping holes at both positions. anthony gose was as hyped coming up if not more, and although he's done okay, he's not really turned into a fixed piece of an everyday lineup. travis snyder, diddo. these lists are very large. assuming that prospects or guys that have had a successful cup of coffee in the bigs, are surely going to be everyday guys at some point, is just not realistic.

furthermore, i think many would agree that the pitching has been this team's weakness for...ever. we failed to address this issue. there's still more offseason left, but it's starting to look like we've seen most of the impact-type moves already. when the bats are cool, the pitching will need to be counted on, and this staff is still sub-par/unproven. i'm also expecting regression from the old guys that pitched over their head last year.

Stop being a realist! :lol:

lol, someone needs to be that guy!

for the record though, i love all of AA's moves this offseason. some people didn't like the Martin signing for the price, or didn't like flipping Happ for Saunders, etc etc, but I pretty much loved every single move he made. I just wish he didn't stop, b/c it seems he's the short stack, and shoved like half his chips pre-flop, when he needs to shove them all! it seems like a short window here to win, so i'm not sure why he doesn't address the starting staff given how important pitching is in the playoffs (did he watch any playoffs this year??/every year...).

lol, someone needs to be that guy!

for the record though, i love all of AA's moves this offseason. some people didn't like the Martin signing for the price, or didn't like flipping Happ for Saunders, etc etc, but I pretty much loved every single move he made. I just wish he didn't stop, b/c it seems he's the short stack, and shoved like half his chips pre-flop, when he needs to shove them all! it seems like a short window here to win, so i'm not sure why he doesn't address the starting staff given how important pitching is in the playoffs (did he watch any playoffs this year??/every year...).

Gotta get to the playoffs first.

I'm a huge believer in Stroman and Hutchison and their ability to take steps forward this year. With Buerhle and Dickey that's a solid front four.

So the question is do you overpay for one of the remaining two big free agents pitchers in Shields or Max or hang back until the trade deadline and see who's potentially out there like a Hamels? Or do you pay a ton in prospects right now and try and get Hamels or Jordan Zimmerman?

Personally, I'd wait and see if Stroman and Hutchison have truly taken that step as I expect them to and if Travis and Pompey are legit players this year because if they're not then you're not a playoff contender anyway.

Archived