NBC Sports Edge Forums

Fantasy Championship

beerfish

Ok, so we obviously all want to win for bragging rights and the cash, but I have a question for you big money leaguers. Do you ever split the pot?

First place = $1,350.00

Second place = $550.00

If offered, would you split the pot at $950.00 each or risk it all? This is assuming both teams are evenly matched and nobody favored by 50 points in the projections.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so we obviously all want to win for bragging rights and the cash, but I have a question for you big money leaguers. Do you ever split the pot?

First place = $1,350.00

Second place = $550.00

If offered, would you split the pot at $950.00 each or risk it all? This is assuming both teams are evenly matched and nobody favored by 50 points in the projections.

This should be determined preseason. In my league the 2nd place team gets their money back and the winner takes the rest.

First place = $1,350.00

Second place = $550.00

This should be determined preseason. In my league the 2nd place team gets their money back and the winner takes the rest.

I don't think so at all, its not a requirement, I'm asking for personal opinion.

If you were in the championship and the other team offered to split the pot with you before the games started, would you take the deal? Its a "hedge your bets" kind of situation.

First place = $1,350.00

Second place = $550.00

I don't think so at all, its not a requirement, I'm asking for personal opinion.

If you were in the championship and the other team offered to split the pot with you before the games started, would you take the deal? Its a "hedge your bets" kind of situation.

Sounds awfully shady. I wouldn't want that happening in my league but to each his own I guess.

First place = $1,350.00

Second place = $550.00

Determined preseason? Nah, he's not talking about a rule, this is about two finalists making an agreement on the side.

When you're talking about that kind of scratch (almost a grand), I would probably be agreeable to splitting.

First place = $1,350.00

Second place = $550.00

Sounds awfully shady. I wouldn't want that happening in my league but to each his own I guess.

There is nothing shady about agreeing to split the pot. It hurts no one. It's just two guys hegding their bets.

Agreeing to chop prize money is not shady at all. You see it in large professional poker tournaments all the time. Third place in my $125 league wins $200. Me, the No. 2 seed, and another member of the league, the No. 1 seed, both lost in the semifinals and decided we would rather chop third for $100 apiece rather than ending up with nothing.

First place = $1,350.00

Second place = $550.00

I'm in a championship game with one of my best friends. We've agreed to spit the pot 55/45 instead of our more drastic split. I'm a fan of a more even split, with the champ still getting a bit more money. Granted our teams are pretty even, and we're really good friends.

First place = $1,350.00

Second place = $550.00

I'm in a championship game with one of my best friends. We've agreed to spit the pot 55/45 instead of our more drastic split. I'm a fan of a more even split, with the champ still getting a bit more money. Granted our teams are pretty even, and we're really good friends.

This is actually a great idea. I'm going to suggest it in the future when friends offer me a chop. Gives you something to play for but cuts the gap down between first and second place prize money.

First place = $1,350.00

Second place = $550.00

I never play for nothing. Why the heck would anyone ever do that? You worked that hard just to go 50/50 on the last battle? No chance bruh.

I do cut deals though. In one of my leagues I just cut a deal with the other person in the championship game that we would each split $600 and play for our names on the trophy and the remaining $125. I think a $125 championship game is good incentive and then whoever was to get 2nd place still gets an extra $150 as well.

It is my opinion that this should be decided between the 2 people that make it to the end every time. What they choose to do with their money should be their concern only, not dictated by people that have nothing to do with it at that point.

First place = $1,350.00

Second place = $550.00

It's not shady. People do it in poker all the time. It doesn't affect anyone else but the two people in the championship game.

To the OP, I personally would consider it maybe if I played in a BIG money league. Mine is similar to your payout, so no I just go for it all.

First place = $1,350.00

Second place = $550.00

Shady? Its kind of common...Have you never played in a home poker game? A lot of times once we get down to the final 2 they will just figure out a way to split the pot rather than sit there for another hour playing heads up.

And I don't see how it would bother any other teams in the league. The money doesn't belong to them once they are eliminated.

Agreeing to chop prize money is not shady at all. You see it in large professional poker tournaments all the time. Third place in my $125 league wins $200. Me, the No. 2 seed, and another member of the league, the No. 1 seed, both lost in the semifinals and decided we would rather chop third for $100 apiece rather than ending up with nothing.

Beat me to it. This happens in texas holdem pretty frequently. Even in cash games when everyone folds to the blinds. It's actually common practice to just chop the pot among the small and big blinds.

Personally, I would probably chop it unless I thought I had a ridiculously high chance of winning. If I am throwing darts out there like Andre Williams and Stedman Bailey? Yeah, gimme a chop.

I don't consider a $150 - $250 dollar buy in to be "big money." If it's less than a grand buy-in, I'd play for it all. If it was over 2k to the winner, I'd consider splitting. One of my friends was offered a winner-take-all proposition from the guy he is playing for first in his league, I tried for an hour to get him to agree last night. 1st was 900 and 2nd was 250 or something like that.

Scared money doesn't make money.

I've known a lot of people who will split the pot, but I never do it. But I don't really play in a big money league anymore either. Mine is only $25 to get in, so winner in the end gets $100 and loser gets $50 with the players who made it to the conference finals (round before the big game) getting their $25 back. Having said that, when I did play in a big money league I always turned down a split. But I figured at this point I'd take my chances.

My league is a 10 team, $100 buy in one. Prize breakdown is as goes:

1st = $700

2nd = $200

3rd = $100

* last 4 put up money to hire a Taco stand for next season's draft.

Good luck to you all this week and thank you for all your valuable input.

Archived