NBC Sports Edge Forums

Fantasy Championship

beerfish

I am not speaking for anyone other than myself here, but to the people that unnecessarily go out of their way to make it seem like this is chump change that others are playing for, you win zero cool points with me, you in fact only win D-bag points with me.

Whether you are playing for $50, $500, or $5000, money means different things to different people, everyone should be aware of themselves when they are crossing a line between helpful advice and just being smug.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not speaking for anyone other than myself here, but to the people that unnecessarily go out of their way to make it seem like this is chump change that others are playing for, you win zero cool points with me, you in fact only win D-bag points with me.

Whether you are playing for $50, $500, or $5000, money means different things to different people, everyone should be aware of themselves when they are crossing a line between helpful advice and just being smug.

Okay.

If it's less than a grand buy-in, I'd play for it all. If it was over 2k to the winner, I'd consider splitting.

There's a huuuuge gap in between those two things. That makes zero sense

I think I worded my post wrong. I will simplify my thoughts and just say that the discrepancy between both prizes, combined with the buy-in cost for the league greatly influences my decision when it comes to proposing a split and/or accepting or denying any proposition made from my opponent. However, if it isn't personally an amount of money that will impact my life, I usually couldn't care less. I more or less play mainly for the title, the money is like a secondary thing, so to speak.

live with it man, BrokenB Spends big. Go Big or Go Home.

I only play in leagues with 1m dollar buy-ins. I had to sell my wife and child's kidney. NO WAY I AM SPLITTING THE POT WITH THESE SHARKS BREATHIng down my neck.

Definitely listen to the others who suggest to make a deal to changed the payout.

I just did in our league. We went from 500/300 to 450/350. Something to play for, just not as drastic a loss for one lucky week :)

To the OP, I personally would consider it maybe if I played in a BIG money league. Mine is similar to your payout, so no I just go for it all.

There you are. I was waiting for the guy that scoffs at $1k. Thank you for showing yourself.

I'm not scoffing at anything but thx for putting words in my mouth. It just isn't a big enough difference in money to chop the pot for me. I'd play for all of it. In his scenario 2nd place got a nice chunk of money. In a payout structure where they didn't or the difference in money was really big(like a high stakes league) I'd be a lot more inclined to chop, because no I don't scoff at money. I need all that I can get. Does that make you think I'm less of a dbag??? God I hope so

Dreams, you seem like the kind of guy who is generally unhappy and likes to talk down to people

In all fairness, B's point was valid, but it's pretty much implied: the fiscal threshold is subjective, so making a point of what yours is, especially if it is reasonably larger than the general pop., might seem a little smug.

So, B = good point, don't sound so smug, Link is your avatar, big playa.

Dwight = your avatar is FROM SCAR FACE, you should be embracing fiscal arrogance. Not crying about it.

Nothing wrong with splitting the pot. On occasion, I have done this throughout the years. Actually have a quick story that gives an example of when splitting the pot can be helpful.

Back in 08, was going against my main fantasy rival (3 football, 1 bball leagues together) in the ship. The Packers and Bears were playing on MNF and I had Forte going. Anyway, our score is real close and the game goes into OT. At this point, it truly was a 50/50 type situation as Forte needed 25 yards or so for me to get the win. There was about $600-700 between 1st/2nd place money. So I call my buddy right before OT started (we did not know who would be receiving the ball first) and said, "Lets split the pot", and he responds with "sure". The Bears won the toss, Forte got the yards, I won the league and the Packers won the game.

I ended up with only about $300 when I could have won $400, but also could have won only $200. So hedging my bet on that situation was worth it for me... And I am a Packer fan, so I just wanted to enjoy the rest of the game because 16 weeks of fantasy can take its toll.

So how many of you a crap commish and got a 3 week playoff with the ship on week 17?

ESPN default rules are even worse. No bye, and 2 weeks matchups (14 and 15 for Semi, 16 and 17 for Finals). :(

To be fair to Dreams And Dwightmares, it is a bit dbag-ish to act like someone's league is small potatoes. That said, I didn't think BrokenB was all that bad...we had a guy here bragging about how he wrote for magazines and only played in high stakes leagues...then would ask for advice...that was bad. lol

$5000 ain't changin my life.

$5,000 would definitely change my life. I could finally cop that car I've been eyeing on ebay for the last 6 months.

The%20Crap%20Mobile.jpg

It's these $1500/500 pots that would have no effect on my life whether I chopped it or not, which are the leagues I play in. So why bother eh? Go for it all

Although what I said clearly came across as saying a couple of people were acting like D-bags, that was harsh and uncalled for. They are good posters and offer strong advice and are good people.

I might have worded what I was saying poorly, but I was trying to say that it comes off as smug, I have no intention of trying to create enemies or try to get people riled up and fighting, for this I apologize.

I am no moral authority however and I am not a sad person. I am actually quite happy unless I am at Houston Astros games.

555714_10151332170162343_739957533_n.jpg

It makes sense to split the pot in certain situations. I mean, I probably wouldn't want to split the pot if I was favored by a bunch.

If it's close and there is an $800 gap, I'd split. Take the $950 (you make what, $750 to $800 when you subtract the buy in which is very good) and hopefully you also pull out the win for icing on the cake. I might go $1000 and $900 if it's $1900 between the 2 of you, just to give a little extra to the winner.

I seen two guys agree to split the pot in a fantasy hockey league final with the agreement that the loser had to buy the winner dinner.

Doesn't make you a pussy splitting the pot, but I would have some small extra for the winner.

Although what I said clearly came across as saying a couple of people were acting like D-bags, that was harsh and uncalled for. They are good posters and offer strong advice and are good people.

I might have worded what I was saying poorly, but I was trying to say that it comes off as smug, I have no intention of trying to create enemies or try to get people riled up and fighting, for this I apologize.

I am no moral authority however and I am not a sad person. I am actually quite happy unless I am at Houston Astros games.

There it is, the most reasonable poster on Rotoworld...or maybe the only reasonable poster on Rotoworld....

I'm lucky enough to be in 4 championship games (thank you Romo, Lacy, Douglas, odb)...

Big money one - 900/300...he and I agreed to bring it down to 650/550

2nd biggest - 600/200...he and I decided to split mainly because he said he could use to extra money and it doesn't matter to me

The other 2 no conversations have been had, and they're smaller pots so I'd just let it ride anyways as I have a guaranteed nice payday regardless. I think it's perfectly fine to mutually agree to modify the payouts amoungst the participants. Really it shouldn't matter to anyone else.

Um, collusion?

Collusion is when two players agree to to modify the game with intention that one or both of them benefit unfairly. It was set from the beginning that first place would get one amount and second the other. Therefore, this IS collusion.

Wow, the college trust-fund babies come out of there shell here and diminish the value of money. I would rather be struggling for cash carrying integrity rather than have it all and be condesending like some here.

"I would never do a split", "Anything less than a grand isn't a big-money league". Just wow...

Anyways, I am in 2 championships.

1. My friend and I decided to split 300/150 finals pool opposed to 350/100. Yes, it's only $50, but I'm headed to Disney after XMas and he has to work a second job to supplement his income. Of course we came to an agreement; because the title is more important than the cash in this league.

2. I am new to this league and there is $600 (12/ @ $50) in entry fees. My opponent upset the #1 seed (I was #2) and I have a much easier path to the championship. I sent him an email offering him a 75/25 split (they let the finalists determine the split) and haven't heard back. If he doesn't, I'm very much okay with taking my chances at the $600, especially since I am guaranteed money in my other championship.

Um, collusion?

Collusion is when two players agree to to modify the game with intention that one or both of them benefit unfairly. It was set from the beginning that first place would get one amount and second the other. Therefore, this IS collusion.

They're not modifying the outcome, just the payout. Not collusion at all. Not to mention the only two people it affects are the ones making the decision.

Um, collusion?

But no one else besides the two in the championship are affected when deciding to split the pot. The prize money is technically in the possession of the two in the championship, it just hasn't been awarded yet. NO MATTER WHAT, only those two will have access to that money so it is up to them to split it however they want. Splitting the pot has literally zero bearing on the other people in the league other than that they are jealous they aren't winning anything.

Choosing to split the money after it is awarded is not collusion, though I seriously doubt the winner will go for that once it has been awarded. But choosing to modify it before it is awarded IS collusion. Collusion is one person deliberately doing something that will benefit one team. In this instance that eventual first place team is essentially saying they will choose to split their winnings, which is skirting the rules set up by the league at the beginning of the year.

Any way you define that, that IS collusion.

Choosing to split the money after it is awarded is not collusion, though I seriously doubt the winner will go for that once it has been awarded. But choosing to modify it before it is awarded IS collusion. Collusion is one person deliberately doing something that will benefit one team. In this instance that eventual first place team is essentially saying they will choose to split their winnings, which is skirting the rules set up by the league at the beginning of the year.

Explain to me how anyone in the league (besides the two in the championship) is affected by deciding to split the pot. Please, go ahead.

Yes - a team is deliberately doing something that will benefit one team. The difference is, nobody knows which team will benefit. They're both hedging their bets.

Archived