NBC Sports Edge Forums

Keepers -- Up to 7 Forever --

Backdoor Slider

League- 11 team roto league.

HR, AVG, runs produced (RBI + R - HR), SBs

W, Saves, ERA, K/BB

Finished 4th place, which gives me 1st pick in each round next season.

Can keep up to 7, losing a round for each keeper. Keep forever.

**All offensive numbers are of about a week and a half before end of season

1B- Paul Goldschmidt - 27

.300/19/9 125 RP (109 games)

Elite hitter. Top 5 pick.

OF- Carlos Gomez - 29

.285/21/30 136 RP

One of the best power/speed combos in the league.

OF- Bryce Harper - 22

.266/12/1 55 RP

Im still a big believer that he is and will be an elite bat.

SP- Jose Fernandez - 23

4 W, 2.44 ERA, 5.38 K/BB

An elite, top SP when healthy

-------

3B/1B- Todd Frazier - 29

.276/25/20 125 RP

Huge breakout season. And when you consider Miggy & E5 lose 3B eligibility & guys like Wright, Longoria, & RZimmerman have fallen, Frazier should be elite 3B option.

2B- Jason Kipnis - 28

.247/6/22 94 RP

Ive been a Kipnis backer, but the inability to hit lefties limits is AVG upside. Still think hes a 15/30 2B, but with so many 2B options emerging, I wonder if hes worth it.

C- Devin Mesoraco - 27

.282/23/1 100 RP

Former top C prospect became elite. We start 2 C, so theres some value here if he can repeat.

3B/1B- Carlos Santana - 29

.233/27/3 115 RP

After the failed experiment at 3B, Santana seemed to get more comfortable, hitting .274 13 HRs post-ASB. He wont qualify at C next season which hurts, but will if he gets 5 games there next year (11 appearances this season).

OF- Hunter Pence - 32

All he does is produce. Can probably get him back in the draft though.

1B- Chris Davis

Any believers left? Top 75 value? Potential is there...both breakout and bust.

RP- Sean Doolittle

Elite in my league. We use K/BB. We also only have weekly adds, so closers are HARD to come by.

SP- Julio Teheran - 24

14 W, 2.89 ERA, 3.65 K/BB

SP- Doug Fister -31

16 W, 2.41 ERA, 4.08 K/BB

SP- Cole Hamels -31

9 W, 2.46 ERA, 3.36 K/BB

So I'm pretty set on the first 5. Goldy, Gomez, Bryce, JoFer, TFrazier.

Would you keep 5, and have a few of the first picks? Keep 7?

Leave a link. Happy to help.

The first 4 for sure. Hamels should have a few elite seasons left. I'm still debating Frazier. I don't think he runs like that again. Dolittle may be worth it for the reasons you described. Right now I'd say first 4, hamels, teheran (very young), and probably Frazier. But dolittle perhaps, only you know just how rare a commodity he is. Thanks for your help on mine.

Unless you are happy coming in 4th again, I would drop Jose Fernandez and keep Frazier, Meseraco, Doolittle, Hamels.

With only 7 keepers and sacraficing a round to keep, you most likely will not be in the running to win it all of you keep him. He will be back in June the earliest, so figure maybe July, will not be the same off the bat and on severe innings cap, he provides little value this season.

If you want a shot to win it all this year, send him back. If someone picks him early it's no worry because that owner won't be in the running to win either.

^I understand the sentiment, but disagree. Will it make it harder to win? Probably. But if the past is any indication, hitting in the mid-rounds (10-15) is what creates champions.

It's tough to dump Fernandez in a keep forever. But I will entertain the possibility. I may also shop him. Appreciate the thoughts.

I'd go with Teheran and Hamels as 6 and 7...Teheran is only 24 and his best days should be ahead of him...Hamels is very consistent and should get traded at some point to a better team so his wins should improve...Thanks for the help on mine...

Your five plus Teheran, depending on what's there with your first pick. I'd consider Mesoraco or Kipnis if your first pick doesn't blow you away. No way you drop Fernandez in a keep forever league, and also wouldn't keep a closer in that type of league. You could draft five 8th inning guys and have 5 closers by the end of the year. Only a few closers I'd keep with only 7 keepers.

Unless you are happy coming in 4th again, I would drop Jose Fernandez and keep Frazier, Meseraco, Doolittle, Hamels.

With only 7 keepers and sacraficing a round to keep, you most likely will not be in the running to win it all of you keep him. He will be back in June the earliest, so figure maybe July, will not be the same off the bat and on severe innings cap, he provides little value this season.

If you want a shot to win it all this year, send him back. If someone picks him early it's no worry because that owner won't be in the running to win either.

It's a keep-forever league. If JoFer were dropped, I predict he would be the #1 overall pick (assuming to injury setback this spring). Giving a 6th or 7th rounder for 15 years of JoFer is pretty amazing, or at least has the upside to be amazing.

Seriously, is getting a failure from your 6th rounder really enough to ruin your team for a season? I'm pretty sure someone out there spent a high pick in Cliff Lee last year, and still won.

Going back to the beginning, I see no reason to believe in Frazier. Lousy K rate and the speed came out of nowhere. If he hits .260/24/80 again, I'd be surprised.

Hamels is Hamels. Definitely worthy. I'd keep Pence as well -- money in the bank. I'm torn between Mesoraco and Teheran after that. I'd lean Mesoraco because it's a two-catcher league, but it's a tough call. Wouldn't fault you for dropping both and aiming higher with your first rounder.

Paul Goldschmidt, Carlos Gomez, Bryce Harper, Todd Frazier, Jason Kipnis, Carlos Santana, Hunter Pence. Voted for those players they will give you're team plenty of solid offense in the years to come.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. A note about Frazier; the SBs didn't come out of nowhere. Many notes about him running last Spring. Here's one:

02.22... Reds manager Bryan Price said he wants the team to be more aggressive on the basepaths, singling out Todd Frazier as a player who could run more in 2014.

Spin: Frazier is an above-average baserunner who once stole 17 bases in a season at Triple-A Louisville, but he's swiped just 10 in 17 chances over his three seasons in the majors. ESPN's Jerry Crasnick said the team believes he's capable of stealing 10 to 15 bases this year. If Frazier does run more it's a plus for fantasy owners, who can already pencil him in for around 20 home runs and a decent RBI total as well.

Drop jofer??? Are you guys smoking crack. Coooooomeon maaaaaan!!!

I'm throwing that our there as a win this year move. Jofer is basically useless this season, so he has 6 keepers and sucking up a roster spot when everyone else has 7... with other injuries and bas seasons our regressions bound to happen to other players it puts him in a real hole.

Jofer after Tommy John is no certainty either, just look at Stras, look at his inning caps after coming back for a couple years, and look at his control, never the same.

Its a very bold move and very difficult decision, but those are the types of decisions needed to win it all.

I expect a lot of disagreement, but I'm just throwing it out there to the OP as food for thought.

I would rather keep Fernandez and he bust than watch him be the crown jewel for somebody else. He's that good and worth the risk.

OF- Carlos Gomez - 29
OF- Bryce Harper - 22
SP- Jose Fernandez - 23

2B- Jason Kipnis - 28

SP- Julio Teheran - 24

Keep 6. You are going to have quality guys to choose from with the first pick in the draft.

I would rather keep Fernandez and he bust than watch him be the crown jewel for somebody else. He's that good and worth the risk.

OF- Carlos Gomez - 29

OF- Bryce Harper - 22

SP- Jose Fernandez - 23

2B- Jason Kipnis - 28

SP- Julio Teheran - 24

Keep 6. You are going to have quality guys to choose from with the first pick in the draft.

hard to argue with this

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=505385

• 1 month later...

League- 11 team roto league.

HR, AVG, runs produced (RBI + R - HR), SBs

W, Saves, ERA, K/BB

Finished 4th place, which gives me 1st pick in each round next season.

Can keep up to 7, losing a round for each keeper. Keep forever.

**All offensive numbers are of about a week and a half before end of season

.300/19/9 125 RP (109 games)

Elite hitter. Top 5 pick.

OF- Carlos Gomez - 29

.285/21/30 136 RP

One of the best power/speed combos in the league.

OF- Bryce Harper - 22

.266/12/1 55 RP

Im still a big believer that he is and will be an elite bat.

SP- Jose Fernandez - 23

4 W, 2.44 ERA, 5.38 K/BB

An elite, top SP when healthy

-------

3B/1B- Todd Frazier - 29

.276/25/20 125 RP

Huge breakout season. And when you consider Miggy & E5 lose 3B eligibility & guys like Wright, Longoria, & RZimmerman have fallen, Frazier should be elite 3B option.

2B- Jason Kipnis - 28

.247/6/22 94 RP

Ive been a Kipnis backer, but the inability to hit lefties limits is AVG upside. Still think hes a 15/30 2B, but with so many 2B options emerging, I wonder if hes worth it.

C- Devin Mesoraco - 27

.282/23/1 100 RP

Former top C prospect became elite. We start 2 C, so theres some value here if he can repeat.

3B/1B- Carlos Santana - 29

.233/27/3 115 RP

After the failed experiment at 3B, Santana seemed to get more comfortable, hitting .274 13 HRs post-ASB. He wont qualify at C next season which hurts, but will if he gets 5 games there next year (11 appearances this season).

OF- Hunter Pence - 32

All he does is produce. Can probably get him back in the draft though.

1B- Chris Davis

Any believers left? Top 75 value? Potential is there...both breakout and bust.

RP- Sean Doolittle

Elite in my league. We use K/BB. We also only have weekly adds, so closers are HARD to come by.

SP- Julio Teheran - 24

14 W, 2.89 ERA, 3.65 K/BB

SP- Doug Fister -31

16 W, 2.41 ERA, 4.08 K/BB

SP- Cole Hamels -31

9 W, 2.46 ERA, 3.36 K/BB

So I'm pretty set on the first 5. Goldy, Gomez, Bryce, JoFer, TFrazier.

Would you keep 5, and have a few of the first picks? Keep 7?

Leave a link. Happy to help.

Bumping this one last time. Chris Davis is gaining steam. At this time I'm thinking of keeping:

Goldy

CGomez

Bryce

JoFernandez

TFrazier

Kipnis

C.Davis

Thoughts? WHIR...

Gomez, Goldschmidt,,Harper, Fernandez, Teheran

You have 2 picks before most have any and you are first pick I think you can get better than Frazier if not redraft him

I would agree w/ this. Not a fan of Frazier either. Throw kip and Davis in your keepers as well v

I cannot support keeping Davis or Frazier in this scenario. Davis makes me ill to watch bat, cannot stand him so may be biased. I am a fan of Frazier actually, but I would roll on who you can get in the draft. If nothing fancies you then grab him. I would keep Teheran then see if you can do better than Frazier or Davis.

Archived