NBC Sports Edge Forums

what's your live draft setup like?

ssmarsh

With draft season starting to enter full swing, I was wondering how other leagues set up their drafts? My league does an in person live auction down in my basement which we start at 9 AM sharp on the first Saturday after the season starts. My brother is in the league and since he lives out of state, he flies in every year to do the draft (and visit his niece and nephew). The night before we bring two big tables downstairs, bust the folding chairs out of the storage room, get an extra lamp or two and wait for morning when all the guys to start showing up. We equate the anticipation to kids waiting for Christmas morning, and since we're Jewish, it's like Christmas for us!!

There's coffee and doughnuts in the AM, soda and beer (for those who want it) all day and pizza at lunch. We usually end around 3 or so after which I take a break then enter the draft results into the stat service so by the next day we can see the standings in all their glory.

It really is the best day of the season! Anyone else have any d-day tales or tips to share as the day draws closer?

we will be doing it on march 15th in my buddy's basement, probably around 1pm. we will have an easel set up with 1 round per page. as we finish a round we tear the sheet and throw it on the wall (we keep the draft results on the walls for a good month or two).

i will do my famous hickory-smoked slow-roasted pulled-pork (14 hours on the Texas-style off-set smoker). it gets brined for 8 hours, injected with some brine/seasonings, then a liberal coating of my own 15 ingredient dry rub recipe. throw it in the fridge for another 8 hours and let that soak in. then throw it on the smoker and drink some beers (Natty Boh of course!)

i make my own bbq sauces from scratch (no ketchup). an Alabama red and east North Carolina white. along with Carolina style vinegar cole-slaw (no mayo).

along with that we will have some BYOB action and beer games afterwards.

my draft is a 2 day event that will be on march 18/19....we hold our draft at a bar/restaurant in a back private room. we have tables set up in a horseshoe style. beer, appetizer foods on the menu. Private waitress... $25 per head for all the beer and food. we do rds 1-15 on night 1, then 16-25 on night 2. The drafts are the most fun to me as well......

we will be doing it on march 15th in my buddy's basement, probably around 1pm. we will have an easel set up with 1 round per page. as we finish a round we tear the sheet and throw it on the wall (we keep the draft results on the walls for a good month or two).

i will do my famous hickory-smoked slow-roasted pulled-pork (14 hours on the Texas-style off-set smoker). it gets brined for 8 hours, injected with some brine/seasonings, then a liberal coating of my own 15 ingredient dry rub recipe. throw it in the fridge for another 8 hours and let that soak in. then throw it on the smoker and drink some beers (Natty Boh of course!)

i make my own bbq sauces from scratch (no ketchup). an Alabama red and east North Carolina white. along with Carolina style vinegar cole-slaw (no mayo).

along with that we will have some BYOB action and beer games afterwards.

all bbq sauces have ketchup as a base....what do you put in?

all bbq sauces have ketchup as a base....what do you put in?

lol, i could go OT with bbq all day.

ketchup is for cheaters. all those chemicals, preservatives, and corn syrup... they will get no where near my Q!

my red sauce base consists of butter, beer, and tomato paste. to that, i add sauteed onions/garlic and maybe ancho or chipotle peppers (depending on what style/heat i want), all of which have been blended to a paste in my food processor. then i add brown sugar for some sweetness, apple cider vinegar for tang, and all kinds of spices.

salt, pepper, hungarian mustard powder, cumin, oregano, tyme, basil, allspice, sage, nutmeg, garlic powder, onion powder, hungarian paprika, ground bay leaf, ground celery seed. all of which i may add more/less of, or not at all, depending on what i want to accomplish.

lol, i could go OT with bbq all day.

ketchup is for cheaters. all those chemicals, preservatives, and corn syrup... they will get no where near my Q!

my red sauce base consists of butter, beer, and tomato paste. to that, i add sauteed onions/garlic and maybe ancho or chipotle peppers (depending on what style/heat i want), all of which have been blended to a paste in my food processor. then i add brown sugar for some sweetness, apple cider vinegar for tang, and all kinds of spices.

salt, pepper, hungarian mustard powder, cumin, oregano, tyme, basil, allspice, sage, nutmeg, garlic powder, onion powder, hungarian paprika, ground bay leaf, ground celery seed. all of which i may add more/less of, or not at all, depending on what i want to accomplish.

alright soooo...can i come on draft day and watch you draft and eat all that food!

sooo hungry now haha

With draft season starting to enter full swing, I was wondering how other leagues set up their drafts? My league does an in person live auction down in my basement which we start at 9 AM sharp on the first Saturday after the season starts. My brother is in the league and since he lives out of state, he flies in every year to do the draft (and visit his niece and nephew). The night before we bring two big tables downstairs, bust the folding chairs out of the storage room, get an extra lamp or two and wait for morning when all the guys to start showing up. We equate the anticipation to kids waiting for Christmas morning, and since we're Jewish, it's like Christmas for us!!

There's coffee and doughnuts in the AM, soda and beer (for those who want it) all day and pizza at lunch. We usually end around 3 or so after which I take a break then enter the draft results into the stat service so by the next day we can see the standings in all their glory.

It really is the best day of the season! Anyone else have any d-day tales or tips to share as the day draws closer?

Headed to my buddy's house, who also is on this site. We'll probably order a few pizzas, and stuff. We have a huge whiteboard we borrowed from a mutual friend for last year's draft, and never returned it. So, we have an 8-foot whiteboard. We print out available player lists, post them on the wall, get 3 or 4 laptops to pass around, and go at it for a solid 2 hours. At that point, we usually take a football break outside. Or baseball. Then head back inside to finish the rest of the draft. I'm usually couch-ridden at this point, because in the last two years, I've sprained my ankle, pulled the crap my hamstring, and nearly suffered 2 concussions playing sports with these kids.

It's not that they hit hard or anything, it's just that I have the resiliency of Rocco Baldelli.

Seeing that makes me sad. Get the gang together and make a day out of it!!

it's lookin' like sunday march 16th for our league. we gather around my dining room table (8 chairs) - 2 seated at the island nearby. we go around the room 1 by 1. every two rounds we review the salary cap situation, hit up the bathroom and/or food and snacks. i do a crock pot of hot italian sausages w. peppers and onions. then just random snacks otherwise. and... most importantly, the GOOD beer flows. last year we had ruin nation and arrogant bastard from Stone Brewery, and i believe brooklyn chocolate stout. hmmm, my mouth is watering just thinking about this.

so: beer, food, and oh ya... baseball, of the fantasy variety B)

Our Auction is with 12 people 4 of who fly in from out of state. We start at 1PM at the local bar with our private room. We have the big white board an auctioneer and a secretary. We always end up going out after we are done and drink much more and talk mad $hit to each other abouts our teams. Food and drink are ordered at the bar.

4 owners come in from out of town for our 10-team AL-only league (myself incuded), some of us out-of-province (EH) come in Friday night.

A 5-6 hour live auction starting on Saturday late afternoon, with beer, delivery food (Chinese/Pizza/whatever), and of course....strippers.

Oh wait, the last part was my bachelor party....

After the auction, we do the minors draft (at which point 2 guys are totally tanked - LOL), and then it's poker, more drinks, and then we go out the *next* night, too.

17 years running strong.

Funny, this sounds just like our auction/draft day. We do it on the same day(first Sat.), we're in New York (draft is in Dutchess County) and we always talk about the anticipation as being like Christmas Eve. I always find the end of the draft to be somewhat depressing. LOL.

We are doing our draft on April 6, probably early in the day. We have to get in both auctions for our AL and NL teams so that will take a while. It will be at my cousin's house in his dining room. We'll probably have some snacks and stuff, and them after the first auction something for lunch. It'll be and all day thing.

Our AL Only Auction is held in a large executive board room of an NBC TV affiliate in Seattle. We've got wireless internet, tall leather chairs and big screen tv access, as well as a spreadsheet on the big screen for constant viewing. 2 owners are now out of state, so they sit with us by conference call. Food and drink is supplied by the winner of the previous season. I won in 07, so it will be pizza from my wife's NY Style thin crust pizza joint. It was well received last year, so why not do it again?

Headed to my buddy's house, who also is on this site. We'll probably order a few pizzas, and stuff. We have a huge whiteboard we borrowed from a mutual friend for last year's draft, and never returned it. So, we have an 8-foot whiteboard. We print out available player lists, post them on the wall, get 3 or 4 laptops to pass around, and go at it for a solid 2 hours. At that point, we usually take a football break outside. Or baseball. Then head back inside to finish the rest of the draft. I'm usually couch-ridden at this point, because in the last two years, I've sprained my ankle, pulled the crap my hamstring, and nearly suffered 2 concussions playing sports with these kids.

It's not that they hit hard or anything, it's just that I have the resiliency of Rocco Baldelli.

we're mischievous.

don't forget my pool table.

i am the official football mvp, being the strongest and *one of* the fastest- and great hands.

don't forget your knee injury with brian

justin and i hit pretty hard. remember, we were the only ones to bring down tom.

and if you'd believe it, we don't argue!

we're mischievous.

don't forget my pool table.

i am the official football mvp, being the strongest and *one of* the fastest- and great hands.

don't forget your knee injury with brian

justin and i hit pretty hard. remember, we were the only ones to bring down tom.

and if you'd believe it, we don't argue!

If there wasn't a "one of" in front of fastest, I'd have kicked your dog.

we draft at one of my buddies warehouse...in the lunch room with benches already setup...

get a keg before the draft...by some ice for the keg to sit in...set up the tap and bust out the plastic cups...

bring a laptop/computer and hook it up to our projector...crack open our excel template for our auction...

then wait for everyone to show up while we start drinkin...

I've sprained my ankle, pulled the crap out of my hamstring, and nearly suffered 2 concussions playing sports with these kids.

I kid you not, he was KICKING A FOOTBALL. That's all. First kickoff of the game, and he's out for three days.

The aforementioned draft happens on March 1st, which we all agree beforehand is much too late to hold a draft, and then we spend the next month complaining about how we drafted way too early.

Archived