NBC Sports EDGE Forums

I'm torn: To keep Jose Fernandez or not...

I'll preface this question/post and say I love this kid, everything about him. I believe before he went down he was a top 2 pitcher in baseball at worst. I'll detail my situation, and then give you my thoughts..

Situation:

I can keep Jose for $13 (standard mixed $260 cap auction). Players can be kept for 5 years max; this will be his 3rd season with me if I keep him. The following are 4th and 5th year salaries...

3rd year (this year): $13

4th year: $19

5th year: $25

Right now my 6 keepers are these guys (ie. I'd have to take one out..)

Rizzo $18

Dee $5

Dozier $5 (we do have an additional IF starting slot)

Betts $5

JD Martinez $5

Garret Richards $1

My thoughts/hesitation:

I'm looking at his value this year (Jose) and it's awful in redrafts. If I can snag him for a price at draft for under $19 I'd rather not keep him and draft him, because 1st year keeper prices don't go up, eg. if I draft him this year for say $15, I can keep him for $15 in year 2 (year 3 would be $21, then $25, then $29).

The thing is, this is a keeper league. I have a strong feeling he won't go for under $15.

So the question is, would you keep him for his remaining 2.5 years at $13, $19, and $25...or opt for one of the other guys instead who are more cost friendly in the next couple years.

I love Fernandez too. If it was a "keep forever" I'd say do it. But he likely won't return value until possibly his final year. I just don't think you can keep him over the other guys. Let him go and see if you can get him back. You have some great value there so will have money to spend.

I love Fernandez too. If it was a "keep forever" I'd say do it. But he likely won't return value until possibly his final year. I just don't think you can keep him over the other guys. Let him go and see if you can get him back. You have some great value there so will have money to spend.

This.

Thanks for the advice Backdoor; what you've described is exactly my unquestioned thoughts until very recently (keepers are due in soon, and these reports about Jose feeling wonderful, etc.). Now that D-Day is quickly approaching I'm starting to get depressed about a possible life without Jose - or like you said, I'll have wonderful starting draft cap, but he'd probably be turned into a year-to-year guy if I throw him back in, which is also slightly depressing. sigh

Archived