NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Michael Pineda 2015 Outlook

MiggyRunsTings

He went 125 in my yahoo draft yesterday. The word is out, and at 125, that's still a bit risky with that park and injury concerns

Although I agree the park is bad, on the plus side he now has a very very good defense behind him. Headley, Didi/Ryan, Tex, fast outfield... they are going to save him for a lot of the stuff that stays in the park.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched the game. He was outstanding, and the change up will be a game changer. Tired significantly by the 6th - hope he learns to go deeper - and he doesn't have a groundball pitch to go for a double play - change upight help that. Doesn't matter when he got swinging outs.

Very very encouraged. Steal for those that drafted early

Watched the game. He was outstanding, and the change up will be a game changer. Tired significantly by the 6th - hope he learns to go deeper - and he doesn't have a groundball pitch to go for a double play - change upight help that. Doesn't matter when he got swinging outs.

Very very encouraged. Steal for those that drafted early

I concur with just about all of this. There was a double of the RF wall that was smoked by erm, Smoak, that probably would have been out on most nights @NYY. However, that was really the only ball I saw squared up in 6 innings. Infield hits played key roles in both runs that were scored on him.

That change up looked particularly good, considering the NYY broadcasters were referring to it as a pitch he has been "working on".

no idea why on earth they just called a fastball to Adam Jones 1-2 count with man on 3rd, 2 outs?? he just struck out Chris Davis on a NASTY slider. so frustrating. called for a cutter up in zone and in, he missed his spot and came over the plate...gem blown. ridiculous call though with such a nasty arsenal of soft stuff.

no idea why on earth they just called a fastball to Adam Jones 1-2 count with man on 3rd, 2 outs?? he just struck out Chris Davis on a NASTY slider. so frustrating. called for a cutter up in zone and in, he missed his spot and came over the plate...gem blown. ridiculous call though with such a nasty arsenal of soft stuff.

That was awful but on the other hand I am very excited about owning Pineda and his nasty stuff for the ROS. The Orioles are so hard to keep down at home.

I was thinking the same thing. His change up had been generating some nice swing and misses also. I have zero clue why anybody in the league gives Jones fastballs when they don't have too. He swings at everything. But nobody seems to ever figure that out. That was a frustrating sequence for sure.

Buy low for people who dont watch the game or only care about ERA. Hes got some sick stuff. Looks like hes throwing a wiffle ball up there.

So much better than watching Tanaka that's for sure. I would call Pineda the ace of the staff right now. He has a filthy arsenal.

Buy low for people who dont watch the game or only care about ERA. Hes got some sick stuff. Looks like hes throwing a wiffle ball up there.

that's a good way of describing it. he's gotta be up there with most movement in the league for a starting pitcher. def not a game anyone should be less confident in the guy, just more frustrating to see that called, as if he misses that, it either hits adam jones or goes right over the heart of plate. he misses a slider or change piece down there's less of a chance to hang it.

edit. grand slam stephen drew!! haha maybe we get a W out of this afterall..

that's a good way of describing it. he's gotta be up there with most movement in the league for a starting pitcher. def not a game anyone should be less confident in the guy, just more frustrating to see that called, as if he misses that, it either hits adam jones or goes right over the heart of plate. he misses a slider or change piece down there's less of a chance to hang it.

edit. grand slam stephen drew!! haha maybe we get a W out of this afterall..

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His slider and change up are filthy, but he is going to have to learn to get his fastball down if he can't get his velo back to mid 90's. He can be nasty at 91-92, but pitching in these bandboxes like Yankee Stadium, Camden, he will end up giving some cheapies if he doesn't learn to keep the ball down.

This the best, worst start I have ever seen. You look at the box score and it is an utter pounding. But watching it with my own 2 eyes he pitched well, some balls just found grass. Besides the mistake to Jones and falling behind a few hitters and piping a few meatballs he was getting a lot of swing and misses and making guys look silly. If he has this kind of stuff in most starts he is going to be putting up some nice numbers.

an idiot in my league dropped him after tonights start. he couldn't have been watching the game but whatever i hope i win the claim for him. he's good as a 4th or 5th pitcher

nice.

yeah he was making dudes whiff all over the place tonight. I think his first 7 K's were all swinging. Not sure about the final 2, I missed the rest of the game.

Massive movement on pitches + excellent control + good velocity + finally healthy. I'd throw out an offer in the leagues where I don't own him. Reminds me of the situation Kluber was in last year, where you could watch a start and the results weren't adding up to what you saw from the ability. Pineda is going to learn how to pitch more and more. I think he's in for a very big year.

Massive movement on pitches + excellent control + good velocity + finally healthy. I'd throw out an offer in the leagues where I don't own him. Reminds me of the situation Kluber was in last year, where you could watch a start and the results weren't adding up to what you saw from the ability. Pineda is going to learn how to pitch more and more. I think he's in for a very big year.

Great advice. You could really steal Pineda if there's a panicking owner out there. Pineda has the stuff to be a big time breakout.

I'm just hope in his offseason training he included tanning properly to better match his skin tone to the color of pinetar.

Archived