NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jorge Mateo - SS/2B NYY

7 hours ago, swfcdan said:

MLB.com still really likes him and has him at 18 in their prospect rankings, clearly not too worried about the slump to end last year. Will be interesting to see where the consensus ranks him, his speed potential is game changing especially in fantasy with steals down. In fact he's probably a very good buy low now in keepers/dynasties. Speed like his doesn't grow on trees, look how bad Hamilton/Gordon are at hitting and the value they still provide, Mateo can still become a better hitter than Hamilton with more pop than both imo.

Just a heads up - MLB.com hasn't re-ranked their players since the mid-season update. I believe the new update comes out on Jan. 29th on the top prospects show on MLB Network. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah I really don't see it. I sold off the shares I had of him in a deep dynasty league this offseason. I know the steals have been mouthwatering at some points, but I just don't see the hit tool bein

Probably because you can run wild with raw speed in A-ball. And you can get on base with bad D's a lot easier. From the sounds of the scouting reports, his approach at the plate needs work, and he'

This. And he has basically matched his stats from last year in half the at bats going into his prime years playing great D. They won't trade him unless they can get a good haul. Best chance Mateo is u

Anybody have some thoughts or insight on Mateo?  He went from being in the argument for Yankees top prospect to being buried on that list along with the overall prospect list.  Game changing speed but will that translate to fantasy success?

Chances are it won't be at shortstop with Torres the household name now. Possibly at second base or the outfield but I think he's somebody to watch . Maybe as soon as next year depending on how he does this year.  That speed is hard to turn your head on.

Mateo is bigger and more physical than I originally thought. Not only can he run, but he has a really athletic and potentially powerful frame.

However, he had some problems with attitude and maturity last season. I think he wasn't real happy with the pace that he moved through the minor leagues. 

I've always liked the guy though...he's a lot of to watch and has a much upside as anyone.

• 1 month later...

Looks like he's really far off. Thought he would be farther along at this point. Kinda disappointed. He was one of my favorite prospects last year. Hopefully he can stay out of trouble this year and make some strides towards the bigs.

• 1 month later...

He's a bit immature and I feel its hampered his development at times. He felt he deserved to be promoted to AA last year after a pretty good extended stretch and basically started mouthing off to the coaches as a result. That really angered a lot of people in the Yankees organization and ever since then he's been kinda underwhelming. His season numbers right now don't look impressive at all but he had about a 3-4 week stretch where he was atrocious and did nothing so he's rebounded a bit lately. He's still only 21 and I still believe in his talent... I remember the luster faded around Gary Sanchez for a while too, sometimes these guys just develop in fits and starts but doesn't mean their future is any less bright. It's gonna take a while, but I still think Mateo will be an above average MLB player someday. 

Edited by absknicks

Can't edit it anymore but I want to clarify: I think he has the tools to one day be an above average MLB player. Not predicting he will be. I do expect him to hit  his stride at High-A this year.

• 1 month later...

Through 8 games at Trenton, Mateo is slashing 484/579/806.

Very small sample size of course but it seems like it's been forever since he even had a good week.

What does everyone think - start of a revival, or just a fluke?

35 minutes ago, It's So Real said:

How does Mateo's profile compare to Trea Turner?  SS/CF 50+ SB potential.   

Honestly if Mateo pans out they could be similar. Mateo hasn't shown the 15-20 HR pop Trea has yet but he's only 22yrs old and Trea's power #s didn't rise until his 23-24yr old seasons. Trea will be better in AVG, but If Mateo's bat develops the same way with age they could be the same type of player imo. 

2 hours ago, BxBOMBERs28 said:

Honestly if Mateo pans out they could be similar. Mateo hasn't shown the 15-20 HR pop Trea has yet but he's only 22yrs old and Trea's power #s didn't rise until his 23-24yr old seasons. Trea will be better in AVG, but If Mateo's bat develops the same way with age they could be the same type of player imo. 

Think Ellsbury when he was younger

Dude's been on?since his promotion. Funny how he took off after that whole fiasco of him mouthing off to brass for not being promoted yet. Sounds like he was discouraged/mailed it in until the call up. Going to be interesting to see how an organization like the Yanks handle him going forward. 

5th steal and his 3rd bomb yesterday batting .396 

Also caught stealing 5 times, seems to need to work on using his crazy speed a bit better. But I'm loving the stellar K/BB in AA at 13/10. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DannyMcPot said:

Dude's been on?since his promotion. Funny how he took off after that whole fiasco of him mouthing off to brass for not being promoted yet. Sounds like he was discouraged/mailed it in until the call up. Going to be interesting to see how an organization like the Yanks handle him going forward. 

Also caught stealing 5 times, seems to need to work on using his crazy speed a bit better. But I'm loving the stellar K/BB in AA at 13/10. 

yanks outfield is crowded....he might be trade bait 

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

yanks outfield is crowded....he might be trade bait 

Is he playing OF now? I agree that he'll be somewhat "blocked" unless they trade pieces or him. But I though he was a middle infielder?

3 hours ago, DannyMcPot said:

This was probably a big reason why they didn't want to promote him. Instead of fixing it and producing, he cried and dropped off production, then got promoted and its still a problem. Red flag for me, especially since its still a problem?

Edited by Dark Kn19ht
29 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Is he playing OF now? I agree that he'll be somewhat "blocked" unless they trade pieces or him. But I though he was a middle infielder?

He's played 51 games at SS, 25 at CF and 4 at 2B this season. The Yankees are trying to increase his versatility.

From a fantasy standpoint I'd like to see him traded to a team that views him strictly as a middle infielder... but in real life it's probably never a bad idea to put an 80-grade speed guy in center field.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Traded to Oakland in the Sonny Gray deal.

Will be interesting to see where the A's use him - he's played SS, 2B and CF in the Yankees system. The A's have Semien and Barreto in middle infield. Not much in CF but that spot could be for Dustin Fowler who also came over in the trade.

Longenhagen seems to think the improved performance in AA is legit. Although he covers his a** by saying it's a small sample.

Says he has made a mechanical change with his stride/leg kick since he has been up there unlocking more power. 

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/projecting-dustin-fowler-and-jorge-mateo/

Edited by Dirtywater97