NBC Sports Edge Forums

Carlos Rodon 2015 Outlook

Manager Robin Ventura wouldn't rule out Rodon making another start Friday in Oakland, Scott Merkin of MLB.com reports.
Spin:
Rodon made his first MLB start during Saturday's doubleheader against the Reds and was highly impressive, striking out eight batters and giving up two runs on four hits and four walks over six innings to get the win. Both Chris Sale and Jeff Samardzija will be back from their suspensions this week to reclaim their spots in the rotation, but the poor performances this season from the team's back-end members could lead Ventura to roll with Rodon in a starting role. Ventura said that Rodon would not be used in relief until the weekend while he weighs the decision of whether or not add the talented lefty to the rotation.

I like this ESPN blurb better. If he gets a start in a safe pitcher park like OAK, against a relatively light hitting lineup, he might make a good enough start where they have to keep him as a starter.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Manager Robin Ventura wouldn't rule out Rodon making another start Friday in Oakland, Scott Merkin of MLB.com reports.
Spin:
Rodon made his first MLB start during Saturday's doubleheader against the Reds and was highly impressive, striking out eight batters and giving up two runs on four hits and four walks over six innings to get the win. Both Chris Sale and Jeff Samardzija will be back from their suspensions this week to reclaim their spots in the rotation, but the poor performances this season from the team's back-end members could lead Ventura to roll with Rodon in a starting role. Ventura said that Rodon would not be used in relief until the weekend while he weighs the decision of whether or not add the talented lefty to the rotation.

I like this ESPN blurb better. If he gets a start in a safe pitcher park like OAK, against a relatively light hitting lineup, he might make a good enough start where they have to keep him as a starter.

Me hope.

This isn't good news.

Fantasy owners should not be rely on him this season.

It is wishful thinking to believe he will be a regular in the rotation. He might not even be worth a stash.

Theres no magic number here, Hahn (White Sox General Manager) said in an interview on the Spiegel and Goff Show. No one is smart enough to tell us Carlos has X number of effective innings this year. It may well be 80 or 85, or he could get to 140 and be as strongicon1.png as an ox and everythings mechanically sound and hes mentally sharp.

What is the bad news? Seriously, I'm not reading what you're reading. To me it seems they're saying that innings limits are dumb, because no one knows, so he'll keep pitching if he's going strong. To me this sounds like good news. What am I missing?

I was thinking the same thing when I read his post. Had me thinking I was taking crazy pills or not understanding something. On a side note, why are teams babying they're pitching prospects when this day in age they're inevitably going to have TJ at some point?

This isn't good news.

It is wishful thinking to believe he will be a regular in the rotation. He might not even be worth a stash.

Theres no magic number here, Hahn (White Sox General Manager) said in an interview on the Spiegel and Goff Show. No one is smart enough to tell us Carlos has X number of effective innings this year. It may well be 80 or 85, or he could get to 140 and be as strongicon1.png as an ox and everythings mechanically sound and hes mentally sharp.

What is the bad news? Seriously, I'm not reading what you're reading. To me it seems they're saying that innings limits are dumb, because no one knows, so he'll keep pitching if he's going strong. To me this sounds like good news. What am I missing?

I was thinking the same thing when I read his post. Had me thinking I was taking crazy pills or not understanding something. On a side note, why are teams babying they're pitching prospects when this day in age they're inevitably going to have TJ at some point?

Teams are trying to figure out the magic way to bring up pitchers and NOT have them get TJ. It hasnt worked thus far. I think every high profile pitcher has gotten TJ, at least the ones that have come up the past couple of years.

kershaw felix price cueto scherzer bum greinke are just a few off the top of the head with no TJ

so its not a for sure thing for every young sp to get TJ

You kinda prove my point. Its impossible to predict. I mean, did babying those guys help them not get TJ, or are they just special athletes? Hell, i dont even think Felix got babied. Guys a horse.

kershaw felix price cueto scherzer bum greinke are just a few off the top of the head with no TJ

7 guys compared to infinity. GG

not worth my time to go into detail

there are a hell of alot more just because 15-20 sp have tj doesnt mean anything about other sp getting it

You kinda prove my point. Its impossible to predict. I mean, did babying those guys help them not get TJ, or are they just special athletes? Hell, i dont even think Felix got babied. Guys a horse.

Yeah, it's more of just who gets lucky and who doesn't, I guess. Felix was in the bigs at 19 or 20 IIRC. Anyway, let's hope they let Rodon go at least 150.

Rather see him get a 2nd start than speculate about TJ surgery and innings limits. That's not even a given right now. The tough choice will be whether we can afford to hold him for several weeks of bullpen duty and/or demotion (if that's what it comes to). Especially with a thin bench.

Rather see him get a 2nd start than speculate about TJ surgery and innings limits. That's not even a given right now. The tough choice will be whether we can afford to hold him for several weeks of bullpen duty and/or demotion (if that's what it comes to). Especially with a thin bench.

I would. I wouldnt start him unless he was the starting pitcher of a game, but i held onto Alex Wood last year, and that worked out pretty well.

If he can add a change up to his arsenal I'd be a lot more confident

There is no reason for any fantasy owner to not be confident in Rodon's 2-pitch arsenal. When a young SP has (2) plus pitches he's going to get quality hitters out, especially when one of those pitches is a slider. Kershaw did not turn the corner until he unvailed a slider during his 3rd season, pocketing his plus curve ball. Kershaw's slider would become a plus offering during his 4th season and the rest is history. A plus slider is the great equalizer for getting out both RH and LH hitters due to the depth of the break. Rodon's stuff is so nasty hitters will be forced to guess, and they better guess fastball, cause they're not going to square up his best slider.

Rodon would be well served to master the command of his (2) pitches , and Don Cooper is as good a pitching coach a young pitcher could have. The depth of Rodon's slider looks comparable to what I saw from Carlton and Guidry.

TX

This isn't good news.

Exactly, no bad new in that quote. The Sox don't brain trust don't appear to buy into innings limit, they probably prescribe to the old school theory of letting the pitchers performance determine the innings. The most important precaution with the "old school" theory is to limit the "high stress" innings as much as possible. Rodon is built like an ox, he does not have a max-effort delivery (i.e. - Jose Fernandez), no herky-jerky arm actions (i.e. - Strasburg), a very fluid and repeated delivery. He seems to deliver the ball rather up-right, as opposed to driving with his legs like Kershaw does, but pitcher leg drive can be somewhat deceptive from a CF camera.

I would imagine Don Cooper is satisfied with his mechanics. Even pitchers with strong leg drives re susceptible to arm injury if their upper body conditioning is poor.

TX

Yeah, it's more of just who gets lucky and who doesn't, I guess. Felix was in the bigs at 19 or 20 IIRC. Anyway, let's hope they let Rodon go at least 150.

Nah it's not luck. Some pitchers are better conditioned to handle the workload and take better care of their bodies.

IMO the magic formula is what worked before bullpens became specialized in the 70's. Build up arm strength.

Also it makes sense to not throw with maximum effort, (kids and scouts are too wrapped up in the radar gun),and limit the high stress innings, especially when fatigue becomes a factor.

The best way to build up arm strength is to throw. In between starts on a daily basis Kershaw does sprints (stamina), strecthes (arm/shoulder), and long toss (arm strength). Pedro Martinez had a similar regimen.

TX

It could be happening!!!

Hector Noesi (back) is available out of the bullpen on Monday.

Noesi left Saturday's start with a lower back contusion. The fact that the White Sox have told him to be ready to pitch in relief suggests that they're keeping Carlos Rodon in the rotation, although they've yet to officially make that announcement.

It could be happening!!!

Hector Noesi (back) is available out of the bullpen on Monday.

Noesi left Saturday's start with a lower back contusion. The fact that the White Sox have told him to be ready to pitch in relief suggests that they're keeping Carlos Rodon in the rotation, although they've yet to officially make that announcement.

Because of Rodon's 100+ pitch outing Sat., and Noesi only throwing 46 pitches Sat, it only makes sense they swap roles this week. Otherwise the White Sox pen would be minus 1 arm Mon, Tue, and Wed.

Next week could be a different story, and these 2 could be shuttling back and forth for a month to keep Rodon's innings down. If that happens to bethe plan it would make more sense to do it around late June to better utilize the time-off around the ASB, thus giving Rodon a chance to make an immediate impact in May/June before the Sox fall even further out of contention.

TX

Archived