NBC Sports Edge Forums

Shohei Ohtani - Angels

5 minutes ago, hypeiz4real said:

I think the best solution is the one they mentioned in the article, make it so you can only start him at DH/Util on days he's not pitching.  That way there's only one Ohtani.  I don't see a world where all of Ohtani's same day stats count as a hitter/pitcher and other pitchers don't.

Fantrax already allows this - playing Ohtani (or any player that has pitching and hitting positions assigned to him) at EITHER pitcher or hitter, you just won't get both in the same lineup period this way.

I think everyone was hoping for a way to get one player that can accrue stats in both hitting and pitching without everyone else on their roster having the same thing. This "ideal" solution appears to be one that is not happening on any platform.

Yahoo's two-player approach allows for Ohtani to accrue in both slots but like you mentioned, it takes up an extra roster spot - so even if a league handles him as one player for drafting purposes and the commish just adds the other Ohtani to a team, he's still taking up two spots - unless there's way to manually override that or force everyone else in the league to leave open one roster spot (doesn't sound like a good plan and could cause confusion).

Bottom line: it doesn't appear that the ideal solution is happening any time soon. Now the question is, do you deal with your current platform's workaround or do you move to a platform that better suits your league's needs?

• tonycpsu changed the title to Shohei Ohtani - SP/OF Japan (was: Otani)
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

better video    

https://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/see-shohei-ohtani-takes-batting-practice/#PrEqSVrKTA3ciXLq.97   Ohtani took BP on Thursday. Video in link above.

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

Have the Angels said whether he'll hit on days he pitches ? So, will they forfeit the DH when he is pitching ?

I could easily see them DH for an elite defensive player in the games Ohtani pitches. Get the added bonus of better defense while not hurting the lineup. Put someone at 1B that isn't the best hitter, let Pujols DH and rest. Or put a very good defensive replacement in LF or CF and get Trout a rest.

10 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

I could easily see them DH for an elite defensive player in the games Ohtani pitches. Get the added bonus of better defense while not hurting the lineup. Put someone at 1B that isn't the best hitter, let Pujols DH and rest. Or put a very good defensive replacement in LF or CF and get Trout a rest.

In high school you can DH whatever position you want but I'm pretty sure you can only DH for the pitcher in MLB.

3 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

In high school you can DH whatever position you want but I'm pretty sure you can only DH for the pitcher in MLB.

Dang, you're right. I just thought this never happened because P are usually crappy hitters and there is no one else you'd rather use it on.

Depending on how he does they might chose to skip the DH. If I were the guy making the decision I'd use the DH for him while he was pitching to let him focus on pitching and use his energy for that, if he is mediocre. If he is just flat out killing the ball you gotta let him continue to hit. 

Edited by Dark Kn19ht
52 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Nice thought but the DH rule only applies to pitchers.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/about_mlb/rules_regulations.jsp

16 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

so is this guy the clear no.1 pick in first year rookie drafts?

seems like more of a sure thing and will actually help you this year 

pretty clear cut no?

I think so. The group behind him is really good and would include some solid #1 picks most years but Ohtani is a ready-for-the-majors potential ace with a decent batting prospect wrapped up in there, as well. I think it's a no-brainer.

On 1/23/2018 at 10:28 AM, kmoore1521 said:

so is this guy the clear no.1 pick in first year rookie drafts?

seems like more of a sure thing and will actually help you this year 

pretty clear cut no?

In our league, he went behind Acuna who qualified.

I was pleased as I had the next pick...

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Shohei Ohtani is eligible at SP, DH. He will appear on the roster as both a hitter and a pitcher. However, he can only be started in one position at a time. When started as a hitter in a fantasy lineup, he will accumulate batting statistics only. When started as a pitcher in a fantasy lineup, he will accumulate pitching statistics only.

via ESPN after leagues opened

11 hours ago, BayofPuigs said:

Scherzer gave up a homer too, nothing to worry about. 

Kershaw didn't....lol

I saw one of Ohtani's curveballs, looked nasty. Seems like he'll be a fine pitcher. The only knock I can see right now is that lack of innings with the 6 man rotation. Hopefully if he turns out to be a mediocre hitter they just move on and make him pitch full time. 

• Like 1

The fact that we have to come into an entirely new board to talk about this guy is dumb. He's clearly going to break camp with the team.

Looks like he has a good batters eye, laid off some close pitches. Doesn't look like much of a power threat though. Early thoughts.

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, Bravesfan155 said:

The fact that we have to come into an entirely new board to talk about this guy is dumb.

100% agreed.

So 2 walks and an rbi single today.  What do people expect his designation to be in Yahoo, SP/Util?  If he's in the DH spot at least a couple times a week it will be hard for me to pass on him late first/early 2nd round.  

• Like 1

It seems odd to label him as not much of a power guy after three at bats, ha. 

Everything I saw in those at bats was encouraging. He no doubt has a good eye, which to me was a worry. With the higher level of pitching in the states, he'll need to be selective. That was an awesome first step to see. Considering all of the reports have him showing a lot of power in BP and what not, I don't doubt he has the potential to be a really useful bat for the Angels. 

One note on the non positive side- boy did he look hilariously awkward on the basepaths hahaha