NBC Sports Edge Forums

Shohei Ohtani - Angels

4 hours ago, adifazio27 said:

It seems odd to label him as not much of a power guy after three at bats, ha. 

Everything I saw in those at bats was encouraging. He no doubt has a good eye, which to me was a worry. With the higher level of pitching in the states, he'll need to be selective. That was an awesome first step to see. Considering all of the reports have him showing a lot of power in BP and what not, I don't doubt he has the potential to be a really useful bat for the Angels. 

One note on the non positive side- boy did he look hilariously awkward on the basepaths hahaha

lol, agreed adifazio27. Dude is gonna hurt himself sliding....

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

better video    

https://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/see-shohei-ohtani-takes-batting-practice/#PrEqSVrKTA3ciXLq.97   Ohtani took BP on Thursday. Video in link above.

Posted Images

On ‎18‎-‎1‎-‎2018 at 8:08 PM, fletch44 said:

Have the Angels said whether he'll hit on days he pitches ? So, will they forfeit the DH when he is pitching ?

On Fangraphs they said he won't be hitting on the day before, the day after and the day that he has to pitch.

2 hours ago, Sine_cera said:

On Fangraphs they said he won't be hitting on the day before, the day after and the day that he has to pitch.

So he'll hit 1 game in a week when he has 2 starts?  That will really nerf his dual-eligibility. 

Suppose if they run a 6 man rotation the odds of him getting 2 starts in one week are pretty slim...

On 3/4/2018 at 11:09 PM, TrueToTheBlue said:

How early would you feel comfortable taking him in ESPN leagues where he's DH/P? The site has him ranked at 90 right now but I feel like in competitive leagues you'll have to reach much earlier than that to get him.

I don’t see him falling as a pitcher on other sites let alone the site he has dual eligibility. 

Sounds like me getting him round 27 as a hitter in my 12 team isn't much to get excited about. He won't be able to develop any rhythm offensively with how they gameplan him. Which is about what I expected. Guy sure is pretty in the box and good at hitting dribblers though

Couldn't get out of the 2nd today, and gave up 7 runs to the Rockies. Some bloop hits but also a couple long home runs. Throwing hard, at least. Any chance he doesn't make the opening day roster? He's not hitting yet either (sample size, etc)

Edited by Rhandome

Meh, not a good outing, but hardly the end of the world. Had multiple ground balls and a grenade hit. I don't see any issue with his ability to pitch wella t this level. Hitting? He's a mess and will either need to give that up or perhaps has to go to the minors for a long time to figure it out.

• Like 1

From fangraphs

"Shohei Ohtani‘s spring hasn’t gone well from a statistical standpoint. On the mound, the Angels rookie has been charged with eight earned runs in two-and-two-thirds innings (that’s a 27.00 ERA if you don’t want to do the math). At the plate, he has two hits in 20 at bats, which equates to a .100 batting average (that’s easy math.)

Spring training numbers are to be taken with a grain of salt, but given his high profile and two-way aspirations, Ohtani’s are hard to ignore. GM Billy Eppler recently told The Los Angeles Times that “it’s too early to make a judgment,” but with the Angels opener 12 days away, that won’t be the case for long, If Ohtani continues to scuffle, the Salt Lake Bees start their Triple-A season on April 5th."