NBC Sports Edge Forums

Shohei Ohtani - Angels

Watched him bat a week ago against Texas and Colon was pitching. The the rest of the Angels were hitting him bad. In Ohtani's 4 ABs he whiffed 2 and grounded out and walked. Had the Deer in headlights look at every AB. 

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

better video    

https://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/see-shohei-ohtani-takes-batting-practice/#PrEqSVrKTA3ciXLq.97   Ohtani took BP on Thursday. Video in link above.

Posted Images

On 2/20/2018 at 4:46 PM, kmoore1521 said:

Shohei Ohtani is eligible at SP, DH. He will appear on the roster as both a hitter and a pitcher. However, he can only be started in one position at a time. When started as a hitter in a fantasy lineup, he will accumulate batting statistics only. When started as a pitcher in a fantasy lineup, he will accumulate pitching statistics only.

via ESPN after leagues opened

I just noticed this blurb on my opponents team who has Ohtani.  Ohtani is listed in both the hitting and pitching sections on the team page, but one of them is greyed out.  I think the way this works is that the owner can choose daily which one to start him in (this is a H2H categories league). 

Never seen that before for a player on ESPN's site, and not sure everyone realizes that you're getting a 'bonus' roster spot with this guy.   If he's pitching that day, activate him as a pitcher, if not you've got an extra option in your UT slot if he DH's that day.

Agreed with @oswald737.  I heard it put one way by someone on SiriusXM the other day (don't remember whom) that made a lot of sense to me.

We see the crazy movement he has on his pitches.  He's K/BB is fine.  We've all seen the scouting reports.  It's spring training.  The ball really, really flies in Arizona, so much so that the DBacks installed a humidor for their home ballpark.  If you subscribe to the humidor helping AZ pitchers (and thus bump them up your board a bit or even give them the benefit of the doubt), then you should probably ignore almost all results aside from velo and K/BB from the AZ spring training pitchers.  The ball really, really travels.

I don't put much stock in ST numbers for anyone, except those trying to make a team.  I don't think Ohtani falls in that boat.  If he's getting obliterated through 6 starts, then yeah ... maybe they want to re-evaluate things and give him some time in the minors.  But I'm buying ... the stuff is too good.  I think he'll figure things out, and we'll consider all this a gross overreaction to spring training numbers, a la Gabe Gross and other such luminaries.

• Like 2

It's almost eery how little talk there is about Ohtani leading into this season. I assume it's because he's had such mixed (horrible?) results this spring training, that all of the air has gone out of the balloon. I imagine if he was having a strong spring, the hype would be through the roof. 

We'll see what happens once the real games begin, but something in the back of my mind keeps telling me to BUY while his value is suppressed. 

9 hours ago, JFS179 said:

Agreed with @oswald737.  I heard it put one way by someone on SiriusXM the other day (don't remember whom) that made a lot of sense to me.

We see the crazy movement he has on his pitches.  He's K/BB is fine.  We've all seen the scouting reports.  It's spring training.  The ball really, really flies in Arizona, so much so that the DBacks installed a humidor for their home ballpark.  If you subscribe to the humidor helping AZ pitchers (and thus bump them up your board a bit or even give them the benefit of the doubt), then you should probably ignore almost all results aside from velo and K/BB from the AZ spring training pitchers.  The ball really, really travels.

I don't put much stock in ST numbers for anyone, except those trying to make a team.  I don't think Ohtani falls in that boat.  If he's getting obliterated through 6 starts, then yeah ... maybe they want to re-evaluate things and give him some time in the minors.  But I'm buying ... the stuff is too good.  I think he'll figure things out, and we'll consider all this a gross overreaction to spring training numbers, a la Gabe Gross and other such luminaries.

ya but i heard his velocity on 4 seem was as low as 89

• 2 weeks later...