Shohei Ohtani - Angels

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

better video    

https://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/see-shohei-ohtani-takes-batting-practice/#PrEqSVrKTA3ciXLq.97   Ohtani took BP on Thursday. Video in link above.

Posted Images

Per Cashman, Ohtani's reps were impressed with his presentation but it appears Ohtani wants to sign with either a west coast team or in a smaller market (hence why the Mariners and Giants are among the finalists). Ohtani also idolized Ichiro, so in my opinion that gives the Mariners a strong chance. One advantage I can see with an AL team is that Ohtani can alternate between DH'ing and playing the OF in an effort to get him more AB's while being flexible about his time spent on the field.

One thing I didn't like (as an aside) is that Ohtani gave the illusion that all 30 teams had an equal chance ahead of time. It certainly appears that wasn't even close to the case and many organizations simply wasted their time/resources on presentations. I would've respected his decision making process a bit more if he had been honest about his preferences ahead of time giving organizations that didn't really fit his preferred criteria the option of deciding whether or not expending resources was a worthwhile endeavor.

Angels are definitely in it. California is as close as you can get to Japan in the United States. They also have the 8th most money to offer.  He will either go to the Giants, Mariners, or Angels. I'm guessing the Mariners will end up getting him, but I hope it's the Angels.

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Angels are definitely in it. California is as close as you can get to Japan in the United States. They also have the 8th most money to offer.  He will either go to the Giants, Mariners, or Angels. I'm guessing the Mariners will end up getting him, but I hope it's the Angels.

I think it fair to say money is virtually a pointless bullet to use of things causing otani to sign with a  team.  

18 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Down to any of the west coast teams not named Oakland or the Cubs or Rangers.

I wonder how serious the Dodgers might be getting.  They were going to throw money at a top SP this off season and need help in the OF.

12 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

question for everyone

if you are in a keeper or dynasty, what is a realistic round to be looking to take him???

4 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

question for everyone

if you are in a keeper or dynasty, what is a realistic round to be looking to take him???

If you are in a dynasty then obviously first.  Whoever has the first pick in any dynasty this year will grab him so not just first round but the first pick in the first round.  I mean who on earth would you take before him?  All the other hot prospects are already gone a year or more ago.

• Like 1
Just now, The Big Bat Theory said:

If you are in a dynasty then obviously first.  Whoever has the first pick in any dynasty this year will grab him so not just first round but the first pick in the first round.  I mean who on earth would you take before him?  All the other hot prospects are already gone a year or more ago.

ok keeper?  like a keep 6 or keep 8?

u taking him first pick in 9th round right?

This is just nuts

Mike: Seeing a lot of talk on twitter about Ohtani’s speed. Some people are saying it’s somewhere between 70-80. How insane would that be for a pitcher or even a DH?

Keith Law: I had some idiots – and I mean that in the not-nicest possible way – saying it was wrong, or impossible, on Twitter last night. Multiple scouts have told me they personally clocked him under 4 seconds, one under 3.9 and the rest just above that, and that includes a time in August when he was, in theory, hobbled by the ankle/quad and still got down the line in under 4. He’s an 80 runner. Anyone who tells you otherwise should be dismissed.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

This is just nuts

Mike: Seeing a lot of talk on twitter about Ohtani’s speed. Some people are saying it’s somewhere between 70-80. How insane would that be for a pitcher or even a DH?

Keith Law: I had some idiots – and I mean that in the not-nicest possible way – saying it was wrong, or impossible, on Twitter last night. Multiple scouts have told me they personally clocked him under 4 seconds, one under 3.9 and the rest just above that, and that includes a time in August when he was, in theory, hobbled by the ankle/quad and still got down the line in under 4. He’s an 80 runner. Anyone who tells you otherwise should be dismissed.

Could he be the first 6 tool player, i would add pitching as another tool

Mariners just got themselves an extra cool mil. Hafta believe they feel they're the front runner if they're willing to deal a top prospect for the extra cash. This sorta pleases me as a dynasty owner with the #1 pick this season. The Yankee fan in me was pulling for my Yanks but now that they're out of it I feel like the Padres or Mariners are his best possible landing spots from a fantasy perspective. Extremely concerned over the Rangers and Angels still being in the mix, especially the Rangers with the launching pad they call a home ballpark. 

15 minutes ago, JeterPimpedUrGF said:

Wow. The Mariners pushed all in and the Angels called. Angels send a prospect to the Twins for cash. 

SF is going to get him and Stanton.

Take that to the bank  . Maybe a piggy bank but sure sounds like it 

4 hours ago, TheWrightStuff said:

early comfort level for where you would draft him? what round? before or after whom (other SPs)? ...what tier perhaps?

I don’t even know how to speculate at this point until we know what team he goes to just to hear what their plan for him would be.  He’s never pitched more than 160 innings, then you combine that with extra work in the field or ABs or whatever he ends up doing and I think he’s going to wear down by August. 

I’d draft that guy in round 8 because why not. 

• tonycpsu changed the title to Shohei Ohtani - SP/OF Japan (was: Otani)