NBC Sports Edge Forums

Anderson Espinoza - P SD

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=sa872856&position=P

Am I missing something , or has he really not allowed a HR yet at any level? 96IP with 0 HR is pretty crazy.

I was literally looking for validation that he hasn't allowed a HR in his professional career. Is that the case? If so, combining that with scouts' projections and his other metrics, I think it's tough to say what he's capable of. He could very well be that generational talent referred to above. You don't get comparisons to Pedro without merit.

Get him now, if you still have the chance. I say he's a top 3 prospect next year, and the lists he's not will be wrong not putting him there. Not really going out too far on a limb being he's fairly highly touted, but I think he's big time.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dominant start tonight: 5 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 11 K Watched some of his outing. Just filth. I think it was in the 2nd inning where he loaded up the bases with 1 out only to proceed to strike ou

Espinoza was signed by Boston during the 2014 International Signing Period. Keep in mind though, the kid is 17. At the moment, he's 6' 160 lbs, but he's only 17. He's currently pitching in the DS

LOL, just kind of posted it in the Groome thread. I think the signing of Groome allowed the trade of Espinoza to be palatable.  I think Dombrowski WAITED until he knew Groome was locked up before

Am I missing something , or has he really not allowed a HR yet at any level? 96IP with 0 HR is pretty crazy.

I was literally looking for validation that he hasn't allowed a HR in his professional career. Is that the case? If so, combining that with scouts' projections and his other metrics, I think it's tough to say what he's capable of. He could very well be that generational talent referred to above. You don't get comparisons to Pedro without merit.

Get him now, if you still have the chance. I say he's a top 3 prospect next year, and the lists he's not will be wrong not putting him there. Not really going out too far on a limb being he's fairly highly touted, but I think he's big time.

I admire your boner for Espinoza, but quoting yourself is a bit of a sketchy endorsement.

I admire your boner for Espinoza, but quoting yourself is a bit of a sketchy endorsement.

HA!

I'm just going to assume fangraphs is correct, since apparently reading has become a thing of the past. Two posts looking for an answer, and I instead get this yahoo.

He's been very hitable as of late..

5IP, 7H, 3ER, 1BB, 4K

Season ERA 4.54.. may be time to tap the breaks a bit on the big leagues by 19. It's still early but he clearly has things to work on. Didn't get to watch the game tonight, so don't know if they have him focusing on one pitch or not. Never a good idea to make assumptions off of a stat line though, anyone get to see the game?

5IP, 7H, 3ER, 1BB, 4K

Season ERA 4.54.. may be time to tap the breaks a bit on the big leagues by 19. It's still early but he clearly has things to work on. Didn't get to watch the game tonight, so don't know if they have him focusing on one pitch or not. Never a good idea to make assumptions off of a stat line though, anyone get to see the game?

I watched it and he was as hittable as the line suggests, although that defense isn't great. It's not like his stuff is gone or his delivery is wonky, just growing pains I'd imagine. He's so young.

Edited by mulhollandvelvet
  • Like 1

5IP, 7H, 3ER, 1BB, 4K

For the record.. I said bigs at 20 lol

5IP, 7H, 3ER, 1BB, 4K

exzacly, that wasn't meant to call you or anyone else out.. Espinoza himself has been one that has said that.. I think he just needs to focus on getting better and everything else well come together.. Sure it's ok for him to have that type of goal, but right now it's not looking realistic.

5IP, 7H, 3ER, 1BB, 4K

exzacly, that wasn't meant to call you or anyone else out.. Espinoza himself has been one that has said that.. I think he just needs to focus on getting better and everything else well come together.. Sure it's ok for him to have that type of goal, but right now it's not looking realistic.

Haha no worries. I never thought you were talking only to me with that comment.. I know there have been plenty other predictions throughout. I was adding on kidding because my little timeline/hope was like 3 comments above that. I realize even the most knowledgable of minds of even guys in the sox organization don't exactly know the timetable because he's a pitcher... And as everyone knows is 18 years old.

• Like 1

Incredibly efficient outing for Espinoza today..

6IP, 2H, 0ER, 0BB, 3K on 67 pitches - 43 strikes..

The K's are low, but I'm happy to see a more effecient outing from him with less Ks than a high K # and only going 4IP.

10 ground outs compared to 3 fly balls.

5IP, 1H, 0ER, 4BB, 4K

Was able to watch the game today and he really struggled with his fastball control.. He was literally all over the place and missing badly (mainly low). When his fastball was in the strike zone, they couldn't make solid contact.

The curve looked great but wasn't able to put it in the zone much.

Edited by JenksDodger
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

after his June 25 start, ERA sits at 3.9 but a FIP of 2.75.. K/9 at 8.5 and BB/9 at 3.18. On balance, given his age and the level of competition I am encouraged. Definitely gonna wait and see how he does rest of season before really getting my hopes up for something special however.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, tucker26 said:

This trade to SD substantially increases Espinoza's value unless your league counts W's. 

He's probably 2+ years away from debuting and another 1.5 until he throws enough innings to really be a fantasy stud. I'm sure they'll handle him like the Dodgers do Urias. Hopefully by the time he's built up the Padres aren't too bad. 

30 minutes ago, jb_power said:

sonofab!

Just lost Espinosa in my A.L. only dynasty.  This one hurts

brutal. Never been a fan of AL/NL only for this reason...absolute chaos at trade deadline.

• Like 1