NBC Sports Edge Forums

Brendan Rodgers - SS COL

Give him a few more weeks in Low-A, then move him up. The kid is ready to be challenged.

Move him up sooner than that. This isn't a challenge at all. He should probably be in AA by July for the end of the season if he keeps this up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Goodbye Hampson....hello Rodgers?  Nope...

Wow, he magically fixed all that "defense" he was working on in the last week

Once he gets the call I don't know what I'll be more excited about - him getting the call or me not having to sift through endless soccer tweets about the other Brendan Rodgers when searching Twitter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Was literally just checking up on him... He started out the season on the DL. He should make it up to AA this season. The question is where are they going to play him? Unless Story's struggles are prolonged there is really no path to playing time for him unless a move is made. The Rockies infield is completely locked down for the foreseeable future between Story, LaMahieu, and Arenado.

1 hour ago, bradwatson said:

Was literally just checking up on him... He started out the season on the DL. He should make it up to AA this season. The question is where are they going to play him? Unless Story's struggles are prolonged there is really no path to playing time for him unless a move is made. The Rockies infield is completely locked down for the foreseeable future between Story, LaMahieu, and Arenado.

LaMahieu is a free agent after 2018.  Thoughts from this board seem to think he will be traded or let to walk and Rodgers would move to 2nd base.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

any updates on this cat? Seems to have a nice power stroke. 

what is his ETA?

a little bench coach, but Im trying to decide if I should hold Rodgers in my Minors slot, or swap him out with Eloy Jimenez, who was recently dropped. 

Just now, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

any current players you'd compare him to? can he be a 30-homer middle infielder? 

Yea, I see very strong wrists and crazy bat speed. Loud hit tool and power that should settle in that 30 range pretty easy. 20+ steals too, just an all-around cat filler/points beast. Not many minors players that are a few years away that I'd prefer.

• 2 weeks later...

2 homers yesterday... now slugging a cool .648 on the season

in his last 20 games, Rodgers has 33 hits.

He's not really striking out, or walking, or stealing bases much. Basically, just hitting. 

BA gave Rodgers hit grades of 60 hit, 60 power, 50 speed

for comparison, they gave Carlos Correa 65 hit, 60 power, 50 speed

Not saying he will be an elite middle infield bat like Correa, but I am saying he'll hit at Coors field! 

(on the other hand, Addison Russell was graded as 60-60-55... and that's not exactly manifesting into offensive greatness) 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
9 hours ago, Baseball Jonze said:

So what's his ETA - finish second half in AA, and then Super 2 call next season?

Maybe. I tend to think elite prospects set their own time table. Oen could argue how "elite" Rodgers is, but he was universally seen as a top 15 guy and hadn't played in High A before this season.

Beyond Rodgers' performance, the two main factors are health and a place to play. The former has been a bit of an issue, missing some time last year and already some this year. Hopefully it's not an ongoing thing. The latter is less certain. Story's struggles this year can't hurt Rodgers. Is weird because Story was an ok fielder with some power. LaMahieu was basically a great fielder with no hitting ability. But then everything went really well for both of them in 2016. 2017, not so much. LaMahieu's returned to his pre-2016 ways. His raw hitting numbers may look okay at a glance, but remember there is Coors inflation here. LaMahieu's posted a negative offensive WAR every season of his career outside of 2016. Story's flaws have seemingly caught up with a bit in 2017. Either or both could turn it around, but odds are probably against both being above average regulars.

As for Rodgers, Correa is probably a good comparison. Despite going #1 overall, Correa was not the consensus top pick for many analysts. In fact, most ranked him anywhere between 3rd and 6th. Rodgers, on the other hand, was often ranked #1 but drafted third. So you can say they were of similar talent. Both came from high school. Correa spent the balance of his draft year in rookie ball. His second year was spent in A ball. He spent all of his third year in high A ball, but due to injury only played 62 games total for that season. In his fourth year, he quickly went from AA (29 games) to AAA (24 games) to the Majors.

Rodgers has been similar. Spent the balance of year one in rookie ball. Spent all of year 2 in A ball. He's now in year 3. Playing in the same Cal league Correa did. It's a notorious hitter's league, but both have put up numbers there. Had Correa not gotten hurt, he might have been in AA ball by the end of year 3. If Rodgers can make that leap to AA as well as Correa did, he'll move fast. But if he doesn't or gets injured, then we'll see...

Of note, Rodgers doubled and homered already tonight

• Like 2

continues to tear it up. he seems too skilled for Advanced A at this point.

really cool reading his thoughts after a game, too:

"The first at-bat, I swung over a few cutters and missed on a good slider," MLB.com's No. 12 overall prospect said. "In the next at-bat, he threw me another good cutter and I thought I was right on it, but it got the end of the bat and went right back to him. So I had a feeling that he was going to challenge me with that cutter. He started it on my front hip, but it came back over the plate and it got barrel."

In the sixth, the 2015 first-round pick came up eliever Nathan Bates with Garrett Hampson on second after a stolen base. With the count 1-1, Hampson got a good jump toward third, but Rodgers made the point moot by launching one over the left-center field wall.

"He was throwing pretty firm and had a good curveball, too," Rodgers said. "He went first-pitch curveball and left it up, so I took it for ball one. The next pitch was a curveball and Garrett Hampson stole second. After Garrett stole second, I saw him take off for third and usually, if I see a guy get a good jump and I'm in a good count, I'll let him get the base, but he left a fastball over the plate and I hammered it to left-center."

He seems like a cerebral hitter. I think it's a good sign when guys recall specific pitches like that, and have a specific approach in mind.

"See ball, hit ball" only gets you so far. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
  • Like 1