NBC Sports Edge Forums

Brendan Rodgers - SS COL

49 minutes ago, BaseballMuggle said:

hard to believe over 160 AB's since last year and not even a stolen base attempt

You can’t be serious.  He has 24 career stolen bases in 1383 at bats.  He had 0 steals in AAA last year, and his “run” skill is a 50 grade.... easily his worst tool/skill.  

A very fine prospect and I recommend buying, but don’t expect more than 2-3 steals per season.  

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Goodbye Hampson....hello Rodgers?  Nope...

Wow, he magically fixed all that "defense" he was working on in the last week

Once he gets the call I don't know what I'll be more excited about - him getting the call or me not having to sift through endless soccer tweets about the other Brendan Rodgers when searching Twitter

48 minutes ago, Strike Three said:

You can’t be serious.  He has 24 career stolen bases in 1383 at bats.  He had 0 steals in AAA last year, and his “run” skill is a 50 grade.... easily his worst tool/skill.  

A very fine prospect and I recommend buying, but don’t expect more than 2-3 steals per season.  

🤢

On 5/1/2019 at 7:21 AM, bradwatson said:

The Hampson thread is full of comments like this, and I don't really get it. Who is the last Rox prospect who was clearly ready but held down for an extended period of time? Arenado came up rather quickly.

Story made the opening day roster after his blistering spring training.

Dahl didn't linger in the minors - he's just always been hurt.

McMahon came up last year even though he probably wasn't ready.

Hampson is up this year and he's absolutely terrible and needs to go back down.

Even Pat the bat has gotten decent run.

So maybe Tapia? I just don't think he's very good.

As Mock said they let DJ walk because they had young talent at 2B, and it's not working out at all for them right now. I'm not sure Rodgers is ready, but he's the most talented of the 3 young options and neither of the other guys are getting it done at the big league level.

It's Bud Black, not the Rockies overall. Young rookies rarely get full playing time with him, if ever.

• Like 1
On 5/1/2019 at 8:21 AM, bradwatson said:

The Hampson thread is full of comments like this, and I don't really get it. Who is the last Rox prospect who was clearly ready but held down for an extended period of time? Arenado came up rather quickly.

Story made the opening day roster after his blistering spring training.

Dahl didn't linger in the minors - he's just always been hurt.

McMahon came up last year even though he probably wasn't ready.

Hampson is up this year and he's absolutely terrible and needs to go back down.

Even Pat the bat has gotten decent run.

So maybe Tapia? I just don't think he's very good.

As Mock said they let DJ walk because they had young talent at 2B, and it's not working out at all for them right now. I'm not sure Rodgers is ready, but he's the most talented of the 3 young options and neither of the other guys are getting it done at the big league level.

It's mostly nonsense from the "told you so" crowd. "This guy was called up to soon" and "this guy wasn't called up soon enough" and "this guy didn't play enough". People need a scape goat when their prospects don't come up and rake out of the gate or management doesn't call up/play their guy. I remember reading on here how the Red Sox "ruined" Mookie Betts by the way they handled him his rookie year. Baseball isn't an exact science. Teams have different needs/goals both on the field and financially. Prospects have a wide range of outcomes. At the end of the day all these guys are going to get their shot and it's up to them to make the most of it. I generally don't buy the "management ruined them" mantra.  I think it's happened but those cases are pretty rare.

• Like 3

On field stuff for Rodgers: last night 2 hits a BB and a K

Last 10: 39 ABs, 16H 3HR 5BB 6K

On season: 6HR .323/.400/.625

I think he's performed well enough to force their hand pretty soon, just as others have pointed out...will Bud play along? Can management decree that he needs to give him reps? Idk, doesn't seem to be the case. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

It's mostly nonsense from the "told you so" crowd. "This guy was called up to soon" and "this guy wasn't called up soon enough" and "this guy didn't play enough". People need a scape goat when their prospects don't come up and rake out of the gate or management doesn't call up/play their guy. I remember reading on here how the Red Sox "ruined" Mookie Betts by the way they handled him his rookie year. Baseball isn't an exact science. Teams have different needs/goals both on the field and financially. Prospects have a wide range of outcomes. At the end of the day all these guys are going to get their shot and it's up to them to make the most of it. I generally don't buy the "management ruined them" mantra.  I think it's happened but those cases are pretty rare.

I agree with you. The cries for management not giving him run stopped in the Hampson thread once he started every day for 2 weeks and couldn't hit his weight. If these guys are really good they will play. Managers are not actively trying to lose games, quite the opposite, which means sometimes you have to play aging veterans the fantasy communities think should be put out to pasture.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, bradwatson said:

I agree with you. The cries for management not giving him run stopped in the Hampson thread once he started every day for 2 weeks and couldn't hit his weight. If these guys are really good they will play. Managers are not actively trying to lose games, quite the opposite, which means sometimes you have to play aging veterans the fantasy communities think should be put out to pasture.

The Rockies' lack of proven depth was exposed with early season injuries. The chatter about Bud Black being terrible is just complaining about symptoms and not the illness, which is lack of depth and flawed roster construction (mostly because of Desmond signing). Smaller markets just don't have the luxury to completely whiff on a free agent contract like Desmond's.  I really don't know what everyone expects Bud to do with his lineup card when Murphy and Dahl and Iannetta go down with injury. Murphy is a professional hitter that can slide in anywhere 1-6 and make his presence felt. His loss was significant. Injuries forces Bud's hand to play Wolters, which shortens the lineup to 7. Tapia has to play and that means Desmond has to play. Desmond is basically the front office mistake that is cascading into everything. I'm not going to say Desmond shortens the lineup to 6, but he definitely is not feared. Tapia isn't proven. I am 100% sure Bud would like to pencil Dahl in every single game but he can't depend on him because of health. So the Rockies break camp with Hampson, who plays every day and shortens the lineup because he is overmatched and unproductive. There isn't a ton of depth in the farm and in reality there aren't a ton of openings in Denver when the Rockies are healthy.

The 2B spot was always going to be the "youth" spot whether it is Hampson, Rodgers or McMahon. Personally, I think the injuries to other parts of the lineup and the lack of success for Hampson and McMahon has made it where they need to role the dice on Rodgers to give that lineup some chance at depth and being more dynamic. I am not writing off Hampson or McMahon because I think it is totally normal for young players to struggle, but they haven't done enough to say Bud should be giving them more leash. Just the way it goes when you are young, sometimes your break/leash is 500 at bats and sometimes it is 50. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, OrangeCrush said:

How soon?

It's amazing how many folks ask "when, when, when?". I can understand the impatience/enthusiasm, but no one can ever accurately answer this question for any prospect - the best advice I can give you is to sacrifice a bench spot, stash the hot hitting/pitching prospect on your bench for awhile and see if he gets called up after a few weeks. If not, then gain your bench spot back again with someone else if that spot is costing you fantasy production (particularly if the prospect cools off). That way, you're not in bad shape long term if he's not called up soon and you don't miss out if he is.

As far as guessing when Rodgers might be called up - I believe it all depends on how long a leash they're willing to give McMahon/Hampson (and McMahon in particular since he seems to be the preferred current option at 2B). Right now, the Rockies are in the midst of their longest home stand of the season so far, so once that home stand is up, it's possible the chatter might start picking up at the end of it if the struggles at 2B offensively continue. They have another long (10 game) home stand at the end of May as well, so it's possible that could be the final decision maker one way or another if the players involved in the process continue to perform at or around their current levels.

Edited by Dark One
9 hours ago, metropolitans said:

Who holds more value as a hold this year/next - Brendan Rodgers or Luis Urias? Positions aside.

I'd say Rodgers for two basic reasons: (1) Coors and (2) Urias seems a far better real life player than fantasy player

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Jericho said:

I'd say Rodgers for two basic reasons: (1) Coors and (2) Urias seems a far better real life player than fantasy player

Well, I'll give you (1) for sure. That's the great impact of Rodgers value, but honestly, neither have elite fantasy profiles. Urias has a little speed and limited power, but significant BA upside. Rodgers has 0 speed, a fair bit more power, but a shaky hit tool. Really hard to say how well this plays.

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

McMahon continues to really scuffle, now at .227/.320/.352 on year...obv Hampson has gotten zero traction. Gotta be a matter of weeks here?

I’m speculating sooner than a few weeks. Rodgers has already been playing games at 2B.

23 minutes ago, Fantasy_Goat said:

I’m speculating sooner than a few weeks. Rodgers has already been playing games at 2B.

Not that it makes you wrong in the least, but Rodgers playing 2b might have just as much to do with story as it does McMahon.

9 minutes ago, cpdaly said:

Not playing for the second night in a row- anybody know why?

I was just going to ask the same thing. With as hot as he’s been and cold as COL’s 2Bs have been, I’m really hoping they are preparing to call him up to the show and that he’s not hurt. The latter would be a real bummer right now.

Twitter is saying nothing. Has to be either coming up or hurt right? I would think an injury would have been reported by now. Cautiously optimistic he's finally getting the call. A weekend series home opener would be the perfect time for it...

From Rockies beat writer Patrick saunders

I’ve talked to a number of people who keep a close watch on Rodgers and I get the sense that while he’s ready to be a major-leaguer at the plate, he still has some fundamental work to do as a fielder, especially as a second baseman.

Rodgers is a natural third baseman, but a player named Nolan Arenado is blocking him there. Rodger has been playing shortstop and second base with the Isotopes, but he’s blocked by Trevor Story at short.

Could Rodgers bump McMahon from second base? Not right now. Down the road? Yes, but we all know the Rockies don’t like the rush their prospects, even though Rodgers certainly is pushing the envelope. Bottom line, barring an injury, I don’t see him joining the major-league club before the all-star break.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

From Rockies beat writer Patrick saunders

I’ve talked to a number of people who keep a close watch on Rodgers and I get the sense that while he’s ready to be a major-leaguer at the plate, he still has some fundamental work to do as a fielder, especially as a second baseman.

Rodgers is a natural third baseman, but a player named Nolan Arenado is blocking him there. Rodger has been playing shortstop and second base with the Isotopes, but he’s blocked by Trevor Story at short.

Could Rodgers bump McMahon from second base? Not right now. Down the road? Yes, but we all know the Rockies don’t like the rush their prospects, even though Rodgers certainly is pushing the envelope. Bottom line, barring an injury, I don’t see him joining the major-league club before the all-star break.

Oh the generic he needs to work on defense excuse? I'm not going to sit here and say it's completely bogus. These are prospects after all, they pretty much all need work on a lot of things. And sure, 2B is not Rodger's "prime" position. That's actually shortstop, not 3B as the beat writer claims. Rodgers was a high school shortstop and has played a whopping 24 games at 3B total in the minors (compared to 80 games at 2B and 239 games at SS). And it's not like 2B is that "new" to him, as he's played some games there since 2016.

Let's also acknowledge there have been plenty of guys that came up to the majors and played a different position. Gleyber Torres played very, very little 2B in the minors (I count 16 games total), but came up as the Yankees full time 2B last year. Or Michael Chavis this year (5 games total in the minors at 2B). Not to mention the idea that there's some magical defensive threshold that Rodgers will somehow cross if he only plays in the minor for about another month or so. It's all BS and meaningless.

I was wondering why Rodgers has been out. I suspect some illness, but surprised nothing has been reported that I could find. I'd love to see him called up, but: (1) it's the Rockies; and (2) this is probably all about Super-2. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I doubt he comes up until June when magically whatever "issues" he had will haven rectified.

• Like 4