NBC Sports Edge Forums

Buy Ian Desmond? WHIR for Sure!

Currently sitting in 1st place in roto league despite a 2B/SS/MI that currently consists of a combination of NWalker, BPhillips, MSemien, & ASimmons.

Guy who has Desmond has plenty of middle and is looking for 1B. I'm thinking of swapping CSantana.

Currently I have Santana at my corner spot (Goldy & Frazier at 1B & 3B), and AGonz at my UT so I would just slide AGonz into corner, and any hitter (Kemp likely) slides into UT.

I know Desmond's been awful, but ROS outlook appears to be ~.250/40/10/40/10 while CSantana might be looking at .243/45/13/45/3 (Fangraphs).

This is a keeper league, but I doubt either of them end up being top 8 round keepers. Thoughts?

Leave a link. Happy to help.

Espinosa, Rendon, Escobar are the guys to look out for. Espy and Escobar are hitting well, and Rendon is turning it on. It could lead to more days off for Desmond until he turns it on, but Williams has said time and time again that they will give every opportunity to Desmond this year.

Desmond is a perfect buy low guy right now.

For Santana I buy .... For Gonzalez I pass.

I'm not worried about him losing playing time sans a short term benching (1-2 games) to get him straightened out.

Espinosa, Rendon, Escobar are the guys to look out for. Espy and Escobar are hitting well, and Rendon is turning it on. It could lead to more days off for Desmond until he turns it on, but Williams has said time and time again that they will give every opportunity to Desmond this year.

Exactly what I'm concerned with. Appreciate feedback.

desmond has has very solid 2nd halves the last 2 years after slow starts, the reason he has been the best fantasy shortstop for the last 2 years combined.

IF you think this is what will happen again, make this deal now.

i am a desmond owner (drafted him)...i am praying his trend continues for a 3rd year in a row, but i have watched alot of nats games this year, and i am not convinced in the slightest that this trend will continue with him for a 3rd year in a row.

I wouldn't do it. I think it is unlikely Desmond hits those ROS projections. Going into this year I did NOT like Desmond at all, he had huge red flags in his peripherals including K-Rate and Swing Strike trends from the last few years. If you look at Desmond's peripherals, his BABIP and everything is in check with what he's doing -- he really is just flat out playng this poorly.

I didn't think Desmond would be this bad, but I am certainly not shocked either. He might be secretly injured or something, but I am not seeing anything that suggests he will turn this around.

Thanks for helping with mine.

Hard to say what happens with Ian. Last 2 years his second half's were better, but just putrid thus far this season. Seems like they have a lot of options in place of Ian, Escobar, Espinosa, rumors of trading for Zobrist. Santana isn't that amazing either and you seem set at the spots he can play for you, think it MIGHT be worth a shot on Ian.

I have him in 2 leagues, drafted him in one thinking he'd likely be the best SS for fantasy considering Tulo always ends up DLd, and traded for him in another league, forget exactly why though lol. If I had a spare part and a need at SS I think I'd probably take a shot on him. You're in first, doubt a swap of Santana to Ian will lose the season for you, if he does get going then looks like a big win for you.

Given your depth at the corner infield and your need for middle infield I would take the gamble since you already have gonzo to slide over and in fantasy I think it's all about making a gamble here and there and this one is a perfect scenario.. Yes it's boom or bust but it sounds like even if it doesn't pan out its not gonna kill your team

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=524061

Archived