NBC Sports Edge Forums

Amir Garrett - SP CIN

Not a lot on him, not a lot of hype. Made the Us futures team as a pitcher, which isn't easy to do. Looks like he took a step forward this year, but also may be old for his league. Anyone have a scouting report?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pretty good tout here. Have had my eye on Garrett for some time now. Very interesting SP to say the least. Garrett was a college basketball player at St Johns for a little while, but let's start a li

Back on track last night.  7 IP, 3 Hits, 2 ER, 7K's and most importantly, 0 walks.   Am I the only one following this guy?

Absolutely dominant performance from Amir last night.. Potential keep growing, IMO From MiLB.com

Pretty good tout here. Have had my eye on Garrett for some time now.

Very interesting SP to say the least. Garrett was a college basketball player at St Johns for a little while, but let's start a little bit before then.

Back in high school, he didn't play much baseball. He played a ton of basketball and was a star and won some state titles. He played baseball sparingly his first two years of high school, then played a little more his junior year. Senior year, he transferred to a practically basketball only school in Findlay Prep, so he didn't play any baseball his senior year. His dad wanted him to not forget about baseball, so a few weeks before attending some workouts for scouts for the 2011 draft, he worked out at Jaeger Sports to get back in the swing of things. Mind you, the last time he played baseball was a year before, so he virtually didn't throw a baseball for a full year. Well, at the workouts for scouts, he was throwing mid 90's with a feel for the curve and change up, and some even claim he hit as high as 97 on the gun. Once again, this was after not playing baseball for a full year and only started throwing a few weeks before officially throwing for scouts.

So the Reds decided to take a shot with him and drafted him in the 22nd round of the 2011 draft. It was obviously a risk because of his commitment with basketball, so at the time, no one knew he'd become a baseball player. Garrett signed with the Reds as a dual sport athlete, and played basketball at St Johns. In the summer time of 2012 and 2013, he pitched for the Reds rookie team. And back in the fall, he'd play basketball at St Johns. After 2013, he tranferred to Cal State Northridge, so he had to sit out the 2014 year. In the mean time, he played on the Reds A ball affiliate in Dayton. Started to focus more on baseball and flashed some of that upside. I believe it was last year that he fully said that he'd commit himself to baseball.

So that's where we are today basically. 2014 was his first full professional baseball season, and in fact, probably the first time in his life he solely focused on baseball. So although he's 23, he's an extremely young 23 when it comes to baseball years. He's very raw when it comes to baseball, but he's an athletic freak due to his basketball days. This article has his vertical jump at 37.5 inches. This site has his wingspan at 6'10 inches. Just an incredible athlete overall. And now he's going to the Futures Game after having a very good first half of the season for A+ Daytona.

Overall, I don't know if I can confidently say where his upside is truly at. He's an incredible athlete, and now since he's solely focusing on baseball for practically the first time in his life, it's tough to put an exact projection on him, which makes him intriguing, but risky at the same time. Very raw in baseball terms, but he also has a ton of raw talent. I mean, not many guys can stop playing baseball for a full year as a 17-18 year old, work out for a few weeks, and then come to a showcase for scouts and hit 97 mph with some feel for a curve and change. It's an impressive raw talent to say the least.

Some links on Garrett, and most of the information above came from these:

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/jul/08/amir-garrett-reds-basketball-findlay/

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140515&content_id=75340930&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb

http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/2011/6/5/2207227/amir-garrett-st-johns-mlb-draft-baseball

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/reds-garrett-decides-become-full-time-baseball-player/

http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/20150708/former-leuzinger-high-basketball-star-amir-garrett-has-a-future-in-baseball

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/01/sports/for-amir-garrett-basketball-at-st-johns-and-baseball-for-reds.html

http://www.news-journalonline.com/article/20150407/SPORTS/150409568?tc=ar

In the Mid-Season top 50 Baseball America prospects chat, here's a little tidbit on Garrett:

Albert (Chicago): How close was Amir Garrett to making the list?

J.J. Cooper: So to explain a little of the process, we run our prelim Top 75 list by about 25-30 scouts/front office officials and listen to their feedback. Garrett wasn’t on our prelim Top 75, but a few baseball officials suggested him as someone we shouldn’t have left off. He keeps getting better and is making a very solid case to be a Top 100 guys this upcoming offseason.

• Like 3

JJ Cooper @jjcoop36 2h2 hours ago

Asked Amir Garrett how he's changed his workouts since giving up basketball. He's stopped lifting heavy weights, added 20 pounds of weight

Amir Garrett's fastball keeps gaining velo. Said "I haven't reached 100 yet." Joked today's a one-inning outing so who knows. Expect 97-98.

Big difference for Amir Garrett this year is the lefty can now throw his slider for strikes as well as as a chase pitch.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2015-futures-game-notebook-nick-williams-figures/

BULKING UP: It’s not surprising Amir Garrett’s pitching career has taken off since he gave up basketball. After all, it’s hard to stay ahead of professional hitters when you’re spending three-fourths of your year working on another sport.

Garrett agrees he’s a better pitcher now that he’s given up playing college basketball.

“It was fun doing (both) though,” he said.

But it’s not just the added innings and increased instruction that have made him a better pitcher. It’s helped a lot that Garrett has been able to rework his body.

When Garrett was playing two sports, he did a lot of lifting to hold up on the basketball court. He tried to keep his weight around 210 pounds to ensure he stayed quick enough to handle his responsibilities out on the wings.

Now that he’s a full-time pitcher, Garrett doesn’t need to be as quick, but he needs to be stronger. So he’s now bulked up to 230 pounds, primarily adding good weight in his trunk and legs to increase his stamina and add to his stuff.

It’s worked. Garrett struck out 3.97 batters per nine innings in 2013 at low Class A Dayton when he was playing basketball too. Last year as a full-time baseball player he doubled his strikeout rate (to 8.57 K/9) and added a tick to his fastball.

This year he’s added to his strikeout rate again (9.54 K/9) and added a little more to his fastball (he’ll touch 97 mph on his best days) in a jump to high Class A Daytona.

“I definitely feel like I’m stronger. It’s catching up,” Garrett said. “Hopefully it goes up to triple digits one day. Who knows?”

Probably just as importantly, the 23-year-old lefthander is showing he can throw his slider for strikes after using it primarily as a chase pitch last year.

“I feel like I can throw it any time I want to now,” he said. “Last year I wanted to have a putaway pitch. Now I feel good throwing it in any count.”

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Slow and steady. No need to rush the kid given his lack of baseball experience.

On the 40 Man..I think he's been on the 40 Man for almost a year now... They are already burning his option years. He's gotta get a taste of majors sooner than later..

You don't want his first audition in the MLB to be his last option year. That'll put the pressure on his MLB learning curve to "you better take your lumps this year, because next season we can't send you down if you struggle, you'll go to the BP."

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely dominant performance from Amir last night.. Potential keep growing, IMO

From MiLB.com

Success in the playoffs depends on pitching. Amir Garrett exemplified that with a dominant performance for the Tortugas on Tuesday.

Cincinnati's No. 3 prospect took a no-hitter into the seventh inning while tying a career high with 12 strikeouts as Class A Advanced Daytona blanked Clearwater, 3-0, on Tuesday. He did not issue any walks.

Garrett retired the first 11 batters in order before Andrew Pullin reached on a wild pitch after being struck out with two down in the fourth inning. The 23-year-old left-hander kept the Threshers out of the hit column until Rhys Hoskins singled with two outs in the seventh.

"Coming into the game, I was pretty hyped up being a playoff game," Garrett said. "Clearwater is a very good team, they were one of the best hitting teams in the league. I was getting ahead with my fastball. My slider and changeup were working good.

"My slider had a lot of bite. I kept them off balance all night. I think that was the key to the game."

Heading on the road for the rest of the best-of-3 series, Garrett knew full well the importance of taking the opener at Jackie Robinson Field.

"The first game is always the important game," the California native said. "We didn't want to be in survival mode tomorrow. We have the momentum going into the game. We just have to improve on what we did today and come out strong."

After finishing second in the league with a 2.44 ERA and 133 strikeouts, Garrett was an easy choice to open the playoffs for the Tortugas. MLB.com's No. 75 prospect was thrilled with what he accomplished.

"It feels great," said Garrett, who struck out 12 on May 30 against Clearwater. "My teammates played really hard for me. We got the offense going early. I think this is a good statement for us. This is playoff baseball and we're ready to go."

Reliever Carlos Gonzalez gave up a hit and struck out two in the eighth and Alejandro Chacin issued a walk in a hitless ninth to earn the save.

Taylor Sparks slugged a solo homer and Daniel Pigott singled home a run for Daytona.

Ricardo Pinto was tagged with the loss, giving up three runs on four hits while striking out six and walking three over six innings.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Amir ranked as the #8th LHP in MiLB by the MLB 2016 Prospect watch..

When the Reds gave Garrett seven figures back in 2011 to play baseball in the summer while playing college basketball in the winter, the hope was the big southpaw would get hoops out of his system and turn to the diamond full-time. He did that in 2014, and he's been steadily improving on the mound ever since.

Garrett pitched in the 2015 Futures Game in what he hopes will be his home ballpark, then capped off the season with a playoff masterpiece. He pitches mainly off of his fastball, which he'll throw in the 91-96 mph range. Garrett's slider can be inconsistent, sometimes flashing plus, sometimes looking fringy, but it should be at least Major League average in the future. His changeup has improved, though he throws it too hard at times. Garrett uses his size well, coming at hitters with excellent extension. Very physical, he is an outstanding athlete on the mound and his command continues to improve.

At the very least, it looks like Garrett will be a solid Major League starter capable of beating anyone on any given day. If he can continue to improve his consistency, he could reach his ceiling as a frontline starter.

A small excerpt from Fake Teams as well..

Amir Garrett, SP –CIN- Garrett has already started to generate some buzz as he was added to MLB.com’s top 100 mid-season prospect list. He’s a little bit older than you’d like for a prospect in A+ as he is 23 years old. This was his first year of full-time pitching since he gave up playing basketball last year. Garrett oozes with potential and is only getting better after focusing solely on baseball. Garrett shared Florida State Leagues’ Pitcher of the Year honors with Jacob Faria. He’s in a Reds organization that lacks pitching depth at the big league level. Although he’s a few years away, you could be looking at a potential #2/#3 type fantasy starter if everything comes together. Currently he’s lacking the control you’d like to see from a dominant starter; however, during his first start in the FSL league playoffs Amir showed his potential with 7IP, 1H, 0BB, 0ER and 12K’s. The future is extremely bright here and Garrett is looking like a great long term play.
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pure guess on my part, but I don't think we will see him this year unless it is a very late season call up... Post September 1st IMO..

Reds aren't going to be in contention and he's still not too far removed from playing only part-time baseball.. I think a full year at AA and AAA could really do him some good.

• Root Admin

Pure guess on my part, but I don't think we will see him this year unless it is a very late season call up... Post September 1st IMO..

Reds aren't going to be in contention and he's still not too far removed from playing only part-time baseball.. I think a full year at AA and AAA could really do him some good.

Agree here. Unless injury forces something, I think perhaps a post Sept 1st call up for a cup of coffee with a 2017 ETA in June sometime is the most realistic likelihood and that's if he continues to do his part and get better....

Pitches at 11:30amCT time for anyone interested..

He's been about as consistent as they come, which is surprising since he hasn't been around for too long.. Will be able to get my first look at him today against Birmingham. I've heard some say "top of the rotation" starter if everything comes together.. and have also seen a high level #3.. The Reds have done a great job with his development thus far IMO.

Pitches at 11:30amCT time for anyone interested..

He's been about as consistent as they come, which is surprising since he hasn't been around for too long.. Will be able to get my first look at him today against Birmingham. I've heard some say "top of the rotation" starter if everything comes together.. and have also seen a high level #3.. The Reds have done a great job with his development thus far IMO.

Could you let me know how it goes? I will check the pitching line shortly but I want to know how he looked. Looks like he had a rough first inning. A couple errors no doubtly hurt him but seems like he threw a lot of balls as well.

I will start off by saying Birmingham has by far the worst camera positioning I have seen thus far on MiLB.TV.. the main camera that they use appears to be on top of the press box.. which makes for terrible angle to really see the pitches.

First inning he simply couldn't throw strikes and settled in after that. It was really nice to see that he could have a bad inning, shake it off and come right back out and be strong the rest of the game.

Yeah I just looked into the start a little more. Looks like after a rough 1st inning he gave up just 1 hit in the next 4 innings and had 6 K with no BBs.

I have been been very impressed. Big fan of his size too. What do you think for his ETA? Is he on pace for a MLB debut this year? How much longer before Triple A? I realize he only has 30 IP above A ball so do you think Cincy will just leave him in Double A all season regardless of how well he pitches?

Just speculation on my part, but I'd imagine he is up for good around this time next year.. With the Reds being terrible this year, I think they'll hold off and save a year on the service time plus keep him back past the super two deadline (or whenever that is, June?).. I really have no idea though.. I'm basing my speculation off of how long he has been playing and the time they've been taking to bring him up.. I think a full year in AA/AAA would be most beneficial.. Was hoping to see how some of the pitches looked today, but with the terrible angle I couldn't judge.