NBC Sports Edge Forums

Amir Garrett - SP CIN

1 hour ago, exzacly909 said:

That's fair. I don't view it that way myself. Amir comes from a unique path with his basketball career and I know as all young pitchers is refining command. Yes I get that he is taller, lanky and lefty. Overall, I just don't see the comparison skill set & ceiling wise.

I don't claim to be a baseball scout by any stretch of the imagination, but I have watched a ton of both Owens and Amir and to me what Amir has evolved into this last season and half projects much greater than Owens. The overall stuff between the two isn't even close to me from the eye ball test. At his best he has looked very David price light 

I agree with you Exzacly in that I don't see Henry Owens either.. I was agreeing with Cm in the fact that I don't think he will big contributor fantasy wise until 2018.. I think he will rack up strikeouts but could hurt the ratios somewhat.. Will obviously be more useful for deeper leagues (next year), but the ceiling here is HIGH. Really high, I love the potential and like you said he's coming from a basketball background and still has some refining to do. 

He's vaulted himself into the top 40 on most prospect lists.. I actually have him ranked at #17 on my latest top 100 that I put together.. so that shows you how much I value this guy long term.. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pretty good tout here. Have had my eye on Garrett for some time now. Very interesting SP to say the least. Garrett was a college basketball player at St Johns for a little while, but let's start a li

Back on track last night.  7 IP, 3 Hits, 2 ER, 7K's and most importantly, 0 walks.   Am I the only one following this guy?

Absolutely dominant performance from Amir last night.. Potential keep growing, IMO From MiLB.com

1 hour ago, JenksDodger said:

I agree with you Exzacly in that I don't see Henry Owens either.. I was agreeing with Cm in the fact that I don't think he will big contributor fantasy wise until 2018.. I think he will rack up strikeouts but could hurt the ratios somewhat.. Will obviously be more useful for deeper leagues (next year), but the ceiling here is HIGH. Really high, I love the potential and like you said he's coming from a basketball background and still has some refining to do. 

He's vaulted himself into the top 40 on most prospect lists.. I actually have him ranked at #17 on my latest top 100 that I put together.. so that shows you how much I value this guy long term.. 

I hear you. I could see his age (24) playing into a little downgrading of his overall prospect ranking. I believe if it wasn't for that he would be the same tier as the Giolito and Glasnow's of the minor world.

I only own him in one league so I wouldn't say my view on him is too bias in any way. I really like the athletic ability being able to translate to more command eventually. I think he is going to turn out the best of any of the deep Red young pitching group. Iglesias, Reed, Stephenson all included.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked what I saw in the futures game. His delivery reminds me of Felipe Rivero (I like Rivero, don't mean that as an insult). Will be interesting to see which final 5 pitchers end up in the Cincy starting rotation.

Iglesias already sent to the pen.

Reed, Garrett, Lamb, Desclafini, Finnegan? What about Robert Stephenson? Am I missing anyone?

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Dahk said:

Back on track last night.  7 IP, 3 Hits, 2 ER, 7K's and most importantly, 0 walks.

Am I the only one following this guy?

Nope....I really like Garrett and I have been following your updates. Hopefully he keeps the free passes under control. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Does he project for an ETA of next year around June call-ups unless he starts to tank?

Whose to say he won't make the team out of spring training? The Reds don't exactly have a logjam of great starting pitchers.

Just now, BuxtonGOAT said:

Whose to say he won't make the team out of spring training? The Reds don't exactly have a logjam of great starting pitchers.

Thanks for the reply but even if he "made" the team per talent I'm sure they would still hold him back at the very least the first couple of weeks for control.  If the Cubs waited on Kris Bryant those couple of weeks last year no way would Cincy not wait for Amir.  Couple of week vs a whole extra year of control before free agency?  The latter is the given option these days.  Gone are the days a top rookie makes the team right out of spring training alas.  (Baseball needs to re-think these control rules).

But I was asking more as in the Super 2 stuff (June 1 + whatever days needed in his case) as well as if he would be ready for the majors by next year early on.

Another solid start last night.  7 IP, 6 Hits, 0 ER, 2 Walks and 5 K's.  Cody Reed optioned to AAA last night.  Will he get a shot?  It looks like hes back on track to get a Sept callup.

The overall K/BB ratio at AAA is still a cringe inducing 37/23, so I have my doubt if he'll be able to excel this year.  Overall though it would be nice for him to get exposure and look towards making an impact next year.

The K/BB is pretty bad but he's got one of the lowest BAA in the minors. The walk rate was decent in AA so it's probably just an adjustment period. Would be nice to see him make a couple starts for the Reds in September. 

He'll get MLB exp soon because he's been on the 40 man roster for 2 years now. His option years are shrinking. From a developmental standpoint. Giving him MLB exp sooner the better. So he knows exactly the level he needs to be in order to improve within his options years

So the point he is stuck on the MLB roster he can hold his own..  Walks are not helping right now though and a future in the BP may be in the cards as soon as the option years are gone..

Edited by Slatykamora
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

2. Amir Garrett, LHP
Drafted: 22nd Round, 2011 from Henderson Int’l (NV)
Age 25 Height 6’5 Weight 210 Bat/Throw L/L
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Fastball Slider Curveball Changeup Command
55/60 45/50 40/45 45/55 45/60

Relevant/Interesting Metrics
Steamer projects a 4.76 FIP in 2017.

Scouting Report
It’s rare to read positive musings in this space about a soon-to-be 25-year-old whose secondary stuff draws mixed reviews, but Amir Garrett’s unique combination of size, athleticism and developmental background allow for continued projection as he enters his mid-20s. Garrett juggled pro baseball with college hoops for two years (Steve Lavin gave him modest minutes off the bench at St. John’s during the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons) before committing to baseball full time in 2014. He showed no ill effects after an ample increase in workload that year and hasn’t spent any time on the disabled list in either of his two full pro seasons.

Garrett is a big, strong, well-proportioned, athletic lefty with a low-90s fastball that he’ll run up to 96. He had some outings this year where things went completely awry and he’d walk a half-dozen hitters over the course of his start, but he generally repeats his delivery and has a clean (albeit unexplosive) arm action. Long-limbed lefties with multi-sport backgrounds are late-bloomer command candidates, and I think Garrett’s fastball/fastball command combination will end up being the most impressive aspect of his skillset at maturity.

KATOH+ Projection for first six years: 3.8 WAR

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-30-prospects-cincinnati-reds/