NBC Sports Edge Forums

Amir Garrett - SP CIN

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pretty good tout here. Have had my eye on Garrett for some time now. Very interesting SP to say the least. Garrett was a college basketball player at St Johns for a little while, but let's start a li

Back on track last night.  7 IP, 3 Hits, 2 ER, 7K's and most importantly, 0 walks.   Am I the only one following this guy?

Absolutely dominant performance from Amir last night.. Potential keep growing, IMO From MiLB.com

1 hour ago, Charlesco said:

Any interest on Garrett this year? or do you see him as a work in progress project?

Cincinnati's rotation is WIDE-OPEN to begin the year.  With DeSclafani likely not ready to start the year, Finnegan is the only lock.  Garrett had a rough go of things his last spring outing and I don't expect him to make the rotation out of the gate but it's something to monitor.  Nobody expected J-Fern to make the rotation out of spring in 2013 so you just never know.

23 hours ago, MJDrocks said:

It's starting to look like he will begin the year in the CIncy rotation.  I'm buying in NL Only and deep formats.

Who loses his spot to him?  Cody Reed?  (Or did Reed even have a spot?  He was up last year but don't really know what he did).  Strailly's old spot since he went to the Marlins?

5 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Who loses his spot to him?  Cody Reed?  (Or did Reed even have a spot?  He was up last year but don't really know what he did).  Strailly's old spot since he went to the Marlins?

A lot of things are still in the air but based on what I'm seeing I predict the opening day rotation will be Finnegan, Feldman, Arroyo (if healthy), Garrett, Reed/Adelman/Romano

Finnegan is an obvious lock.  They seem like they're pretty locked in to Feldman and Arroyo if he's healthy (bc tanking, I guess.).  Don't look now but I think Garrett is looking solid for that 4th spot.  I think Reed, Adelman, and Romano are competing for the 5th spot.  I would say Reed has the advantage right now because Adelman has had an awful spring and Romano would have skipped Triple A.

• Like 1

Awesome! I took a chance on this guy in my dynasty. He's quite old for a prospect but has been getting consistently better and could have a decent year.

His fastball sits 92-96 as a lanky lefty and has a plus slider and decent change. What are people expecting? Great America Ballpark doesn't help his cause, but pitching in the NL does.

2 minutes ago, einstein2u said:

so projects as a SP2-sp3 at his highest ceiling?

In fantasy? Yes. I think think his ceiling is probably as a top 15-20 starter. 

In the MLB, if everything clicks, I think he can be the Reds 'ace' or SP1. He had a 2.55 ERA last year through AA and AAA and pretty good k/9 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
8 hours ago, kpmorgan said:

Any thoughts on this guy now after his stint with Cincy? Back in the minors right? 

Doubt he'll amount to much in fantasy.  He has awful command and mediocre stuff.  He's going to have to learn to be precise on edges to survive in that park.  In his first stint he was trying to elevate 92 MPH fastballs by hitters.  That doesn't work in majors.  Slider was blah, fastball was awful, miserable command at nearly every level.  Reminds me of another Henry Owens.  I've taken off any list moving forward.  I won't be wasting my time with him.

• 10 months later...