NBC Sports Edge Forums

Lewis Brinson - OF MIA

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Higher ceiling than Mazara?

The reports I read say Mazara's bat is ahead of Brinson. Brinson gets the SBs and plays CF so I think he gets higher rankings in the MILB lists.

That said, I suppose the ceiling is higher for Brinson due to the SBs but the floor is further down.

The reports I read say Mazara's bat is ahead of Brinson. Brinson gets the SBs and plays CF so I think he gets higher rankings in the MILB lists.

That said, I suppose the ceiling is higher for Brinson due to the SBs but the floor is further down.

Yeah. Mazara has higher homer ceiling by far. But has no speed. So Mazara could be a very rare these days 30 homer guy but flat-footed. He is slated for RF because he has a really great throwing arm. And Brinson cold be 15/20 or maybe 20/20 guy and slated to play CF with his speed.

So it depends on your team needs who you should get. If you have enough speed already and need more power than Mazara. If you have enough power and want to add some to it but really need steals as well then Brinson. If you need someone sooner than later than Mazara though they should be up a year apart max and maybe closer in case of Texas needs and injuries etc.

Brinson is usually listed a little ahead of Mazara on the lists because of the speed additive but they are usually only a couple of slots apart because Mazara has legit big time power. If (always a big if with prospects) everything works out well for both your choice is basically between an AJ Pollock or a JD Martinez ... or even Nelson Cruz, the latter years version, if Mazara catches fire.

Of course it is never that easy as an analogy.

I am in a Draft only league with no in season transaction with deep benches. So getting players that may come up during the season is my goal:)

All lists I see have Brinson listed as sometime in 2017. This year? September cup of coffee especially if Texas is contending and needs bench strength would probably be his earliest shot. Otherwise it would take multiple injuries in the outfield to get him up. Josh Hamilton being out wouldn't count cause Mazara is the corner outfielder replacement and more ready. It would take more injuries for Brinson to be rushed up.

Mazara could be up during June call ups (which fantasy owners of him are hoping) or not until the All Star break or later (which they are not hoping).

Prospects are usually held back these days so teams can get an extra year of control out of them alas. That usually means June though some players, based on complicated formulae I don't understand, are eligible for that extra year of control earlier like Kris Bryant last season when he had to only wait three weeks. But guys in Bryant's situation are pretty rare and are the exception to the rule.

I am in a Draft only league with no in season transaction with deep benches. So getting players that may come up during the season is my goal:)

All lists I see have Brinson listed as sometime in 2017. This year? September cup of coffee especially if Texas is contending and needs bench strength would probably be his earliest shot. Otherwise it would take multiple injuries in the outfield to get him up. Josh Hamilton being out wouldn't count cause Mazara is the corner outfielder replacement and more ready. It would take more injuries for Brinson to be rushed up.

Mazara could be up during June call ups (which fantasy owners of him are hoping) or not until the All Star break or later (which they are not hoping).

Prospects are usually held back these days so teams can get an extra year of control out of them alas. That usually means June though some players, based on complicated formulae I don't understand, are eligible for that extra year of control earlier like Kris Bryant last season when he had to only wait three weeks. But guys in Bryant's situation are pretty rare and are the exception to the rule.

Great info, thanks so much!

I don't know much. People like NYR Fan and Coach George and others too many to name here know far more. I just from them and others here and read over prospect lists and some articles etc. Just learning as I go like you guys and trying to pass it forward.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Yeah. Mazara has higher homer ceiling by far. But has no speed. So Mazara could be a very rare these days 30 homer guy but flat-footed. He is slated for RF because he has a really great throwing arm. And Brinson cold be 15/20 or maybe 20/20 guy and slated to play CF with his speed.

So it depends on your team needs who you should get. If you have enough speed already and need more power than Mazara. If you have enough power and want to add some to it but really need steals as well then Brinson. If you need someone sooner than later than Mazara though they should be up a year apart max and maybe closer in case of Texas needs and injuries etc.

Brinson is usually listed a little ahead of Mazara on the lists because of the speed additive but they are usually only a couple of slots apart because Mazara has legit big time power. If (always a big if with prospects) everything works out well for both your choice is basically between an AJ Pollock or a JD Martinez ... or even Nelson Cruz, the latter years version, if Mazara catches fire.

Nice post. Those comps sound spot on.

Nice post. Those comps sound spot on.

It's important to note that these comps are if these players reach their ceilings. Many "top" prospects never live up to hype. I think any comp should also come with a floor.

Like Mazara comps Nelson Cruz, mark Reynolds

Brinson AJ pollock, Cameron maybin

If you're comping Brinson to Maybin I think you're selling him way short. This kid has 20-25HR 20-25SB written all over him. His K rate is a about 3 higher and BB rate slightly lower, but I think he has poor man's McCutchen written all over him.

If you're comping Brinson to Maybin I think you're selling him way short. This kid has 20-25HR 20-25SB written all over him. His K rate is a about 3 higher and BB rate slightly lower, but I think he has poor man's McCutchen written all over him.

I think the Maybin was a representation of his floor. Not his even odds projection..

I think the Maybin was a representation of his floor. Not his even odds projection..

That's right. In no way do I think he's maybin/ but I do think his floor is maybin.

At one Time maybin had 25/30 homers and 30/25 sb wrote all over him and was also a poor mans mccutchen.

Wilson Karaman @vocaljavelins Mar 1

Here's my @baseballpro scouting report of #Rangers no. 3 prospect Lewis Brinson: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/eyewitness_bat.php?reportid=262

Brinson is about as elite a pure athlete as you'll find in the high minors. Glides like a gazelle, with similar closing speed in CF

I put a 70 on Brinson's glove without hesitation, already a solid route-runner, instinctual feel for contact with ++ track-&-close

I had two more looks at Brinson's offense after that report, and it was enough to bump the hit & power a 1/2 grade each

Extremely high makeup guy, Brinson just kept improving pitch recognition & approach. Still vulnerable to early weight transfer

Brinson shows natural pop w/ swing plane, strong wrists, & hip rotation. Easy + pull power, can shoot the RCF gap w/ outer-half extension

If the hit tool keeps improving & starts peeping 55 range, Brinson's a straight-up superstar

• 2 weeks later...

His point is his floor. Maybin was a higher regarded prospect than Brinson. Maybin saw big league action at 20. Brinson just broke out. It is a fair comp tools wise. While I think Brinson will have a better career than Maybin I think Maybin is a good floor reminder of the risk you are looking at when drafting prospects.

It's important to note that these comps are if these players reach their ceilings. Many "top" prospects never live up to hype. I think any comp should also come with a floor.

Very good point.... But I don't think I'd have used Mark Reynolds as a comp to Mazara. Maybe more so like someone like Will Venable.

I think Jason Heyward Lite is a very fair overall comp for Mazara. Both 6'4" L/L Right Fielders who struckout just under once a game in the minors while taking their fair share of walks. Mazara hasn't demonstrated the ability to hit for average like Heyward did in the minors.

Very good point.... But I don't think I'd have used Mark Reynolds as a comp to Mazara. Maybe more so like someone like Will Venable.

I think Jason Heyward Lite is a very fair overall comp for Mazara. Both 6'4" L/L Right Fielders who struckout just under once a game in the minors while taking their fair share of walks. Mazara hasn't demonstrated the ability to hit for average like Heyward did in the minors.

And Mazara isn't going to steal any bases either.

Where do people come up with these comps? Is it just because they are big RFs? Because other than that, they don't really have anything else in common.

4) Nomar Mazara, OF, Texas Rangers (Age: 20, Previous Rank: 31)

Potential Earnings: $25-30

Risk Factor: Low

Fantasy Overview: Four-category contributor; Impact potential in AVG, HR, RBI

Realistic Ceiling: Justin Upton without the steals

Realistic Floor: Jay Bruce

17) Lewis Brinson, OF, Texas Rangers (Age: 21, Previous Rank: NR)

Potential Earnings: $25-30

Risk Factor: Medium

Fantasy Overview: Five-category contributor

Realistic Ceiling: Matt Kemp pre-2011

Realistic Floor: Drew Stubbs

Edited by crotchcrickets