NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Lewis Brinson - OF MIA

Gauthmann44

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets compare him with another tools loaded prospect in AA that is general held to be ranked alongside Brinson in many prospect lists, Bradley Zimmer. As you can see, Brinson's plate discipline and splits are far more advanced, except for BB%. Zimmer had platoon splits in the past, but in AA he litterly can't hit left handed pitching.

Brinson
Split BA OBP SLG
vs RHP as RHB .275 .324 .551
vs LHP as RHB .278 .300 .333

BB% K%
3.3 % 14.3 %

Zimmer
Split BA OBP SLG
vs RHP as LHB .278 .360 .620
vs LHP as LHB .048 .286 .048

BB% K%
14.3 % 29.5 %

Edited by Hellgrammite

I don't think he is 100% right now. His contact rate is good, but the shoulder injury from earlier in the year I think is lingering, and might take an off season to heal. I would speculate also this is a reason his power is a bit down right now. Even if he gets promoted, I wouldn't expect much from him until the 2017 season.

For those of you in Yahoo leagues. From the app go to player search and type in "lewi". Check out the last guy in the list.

Just found this Easter egg while checking in on Brinson.

And for those that don't have Yahoo? Tell us more.

It is/was one of the characters Key and Peele do with the funky names. (Torque [Construction Noise] Lewith)

I thought you were joking. That is 100% legit lololol

• 1 month later...

Bombs in back to back nights.. 

I hope the shoulder is healthy now.. I think that may have been one of his problems earlier this year.. trying to play through the injury. Ready to see what he can do at full strength. 

9 bombs and 12 SB in 61 games this year ain't too bad. The .291 OBP is though.. 

Edited by JenksDodger

Yep.  Could see some playing time in September for the Rangers.  He is ready defensively ready for the majors, making him excellent bench depth for a playoff run.

If he can continue player well ROS, I could see him playing in Winter league a bit, starting next season in AAA, and making it to the majors for a starting opportunity in early May.

That assumes Desmond signs elsewhere next season, and Deshields continues to be mediocre defensively (neither his bat or defense has been impressive this season.)

Edited by Hellgrammite

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

been tearing up since he was traded....put on the d/l though due to a strained hammy

Brinson was placed on the 7-day disabled list Monday with a left hamstring strain that isn't considered serious, Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports.

Fortunately, it sounds as though the issue isn't overly serious, but the recently-acquired prospect will sit out for at least a week to rest it. Brinson has prospered since being traded to the Brewers' organization and joining Triple-A Colorado Springs, batting .391/.375/.543 with a home run and four stolen bases.

• 3 weeks later...

is Brinson someone the Brewers could call up now that it is September?

he has been on fire since joining the Brewers in the Lucroy trade. although it has been Colorado Springs (PCL)..

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=lewis-brinson

73 AB - .425/.440/.699/1.139. 4 HR/ 20 RBI/ 4 SB

2 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

is Brinson someone the Brewers could call up now that it is September?

he has been on fire since joining the Brewers in the Lucroy trade. although it has been Colorado Springs (PCL)..

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=lewis-brinson

73 AB - .425/.440/.699/1.139. 4 HR/ 20 RBI/ 4 SB

After his struggles both at the plate and physically this year, I'd let him just continue his success at AAA and give him a nice long break before spring training comes around. Let him heal up and come back refreshed.

• 3 months later...

Part of the Lucroy trade since they could not acquire Gallo.

With Broxton, Domingo and Braun is there room?

#2 Brewer prospect behind Hader?

Here is something from FakeTeams......

#2 - Lewis Brinson (OF)

Age on Opening Day 2017: 22

ETA: 2017

There may not be a prospect who runs as hot and cold as Brinson, who finished 2016 by hitting .268/.305/.468 with 15 HR and 17 SB in 434 PA. That, as an overall line, feels about right for the free-swinging prospect with extraordinarily loud tools. However, it was also a tale of two seasons. Brinson batted .237/.280/431 with 11 HR and 11 SB at Double-A (prior to being sent to the Brewers for Jonathan Lucroy), and then exploded at Triple-A, hitting .382/.387/.618 with 4 HR and 4 SB in just 93 PA. He has now amassed 576 PA between Double-A and Triple-A, and sports a subpar 5.6% walk rate against an average-ish 20.7% strikeout rate. Better pitchers have been able to exploit that approach, garnering whiffs and surprisingly weak contact, and therein lies the risk with Brinson. He boasts plus to plus-plus marks in both power and speed, though, and has shown a knack for making adjustments. And for that he has one of the highest ceilings in the minors.

Edited by twoseemer

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, twoseemer said:

bump.....any thoughts?

Braun, Santana and Broxton in the OF

Neiuwenhuis the 4th

Guess he will be up sometime after the allstar break? or a Sept call up?

Or maybe not until next year so they retain that extra year of control.  That rule prevents many a prospect from being called up late in the season these days unfortunately.

On 2/10/2017 at 6:27 PM, twoseemer said:

bump.....any thoughts?

Braun, Santana and Broxton in the OF

Neiuwenhuis the 4th

Guess he will be up sometime after the allstar break? or a Sept call up?

Yeah Brinson with a strong spring could make a good case to break camp... But ultimately either way he's going to likely have to start in  AAA (barring injury to an OF).  Let Brinson get acclimated in AAA and confident then bring him up post Super 2 deadline. 

Honestly I think he's up sooner than later.  Was a center piece of a trade.  His numbers in that ballpark could look ridiculous which will get the fan base anxious.  I'm thinking he sees MLB time before the All-Star Break.

I've been up and down on Brinson throughout his minor league career.  This will be a big year for my projections on his MLB career.  He will get a large sample against AAA pitching (granted in probably the best hitters park in all of professional baseball). 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...