NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Brent Honeywell - SP TB

Italian_guy

14 minutes ago, Fenamo said:

Snell optioned! HOLD your horses!

Burned a roster move just in case it is Honeywell.  He's the kind of prospect I'd rather waste resources on than miss out on.

I just don't see any other potential impact arms getting the call to a rotation this season.

They called up Jose Alvarado. I think earliest we see Honeywell is September, barring a change of plans by the Rays. Odorizzi coming back, and Andriese not long after that. They like Andriese and he has performed decently this year. Pruitt takes Snell's spot in the rotation when they need a 5th starter until they get healthy.

10 minutes ago, Mitchell_McDi said:

They called up Jose Alvarado. I think earliest we see Honeywell is September, barring a change of plans by the Rays. Odorizzi coming back, and Andriese not long after that. They like Andriese and he has performed decently this year. Pruitt takes Snell's spot in the rotation when they need a 5th starter until they get healthy.

Alvarado's call-up has no impact on whether or not Honeywell gets the call. Alvarado is simply a middle reliever until they need a starter which won't be until Aug 8th or 9th. Honeywell watch is still on.

That being said, Honeywell threw 130 innings between Single-A, Double-A, and the Arizona Fall League last season. Tampa Bay, historically, uses a 20% yearly workload, so he has about 40 innings left in his 2017 campaign at Triple-A Durham. If he was to be promoted this season, he would likely work out of the bullpen to mitigate the number of innings thrown

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Suspended 4 games by the Rays for voicing frustration that he hasn't been promoted? Seems kinda petty but I'm just reading the footnotes so I'm sure there are details I'm missing. Saves him a start prior to September but seems like a weird way to go about limiting innings. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Baur10 said:

Suspended 4 games by the Rays for voicing frustration that he hasn't been promoted? Seems kinda petty but I'm just reading the footnotes so I'm sure there are details I'm missing. Saves him a start prior to September but seems like a weird way to go about limiting innings. 

Weird.  Is he still expected to come up when rosters expand?  And if so, in what role?

I can understand being frustrated inside, but he has to exhibit greater discipline in that situation. He's playing for one of the most cash strapped organizations in MLB who can't afford to throw caution to the wind when it comes to service time considerations for a top prospect. Almost every star prospect that has success at the MLB level in that organization will eventually need to be traded or they'll end up walking as a FA, so I can understand the organization using every tool at their disposal to keep those types of players around as long as possible. I'd certainly be all for a CBA that erases the need to worry about Super Two/Service Time/Arbitration eligibility/etc., but it's just the reality of the situation.

You can chalk up Honeywell's outburst to youthful exuberance, but it's still not something that's going to sit well with the organization as they look for players that will lead by example in the future. Assuming he doesn't regress, he's a shoo in to make millions and millions down the road, just need to have a little patience with respect to the business of baseball.

53 minutes ago, Dark One said:

I can understand being frustrated inside, but he has to exhibit greater discipline in that situation. He's playing for one of the most cash strapped organizations in MLB who can't afford to throw caution to the wind when it comes to service time considerations for a top prospect. Almost every star prospect that has success at the MLB level in that organization will eventually need to be traded or they'll end up walking as a FA, so I can understand the organization using every tool at their disposal to keep those types of players around as long as possible. I'd certainly be all for a CBA that erases the need to worry about Super Two/Service Time/Arbitration eligibility/etc., but it's just the reality of the situation.

You can chalk up Honeywell's outburst to youthful exuberance, but it's still not something that's going to sit well with the organization as they look for players that will lead by example in the future. Assuming he doesn't regress, he's a shoo in to make millions and millions down the road, just need to have a little patience with respect to the business of baseball.

Maybe he should be more disciplined but I'm not at all surprised to see him in this situation; he's had a reputation for being cocky and outspoken since he was drafted. I don't think he has it in him to quietly accept being passed over for promotion when he's pitching well.

I fully understand the business ramifications the Rays are up against and appreciate how they dictate their handling of prospects. 

That said, it's a business for these kids as well. Every inning Honeywell logs is one more inning he might blow out his elbow or tear up his shoulder. 

I don't think, when a kid is performing like Honeywell has, that it is at all reasonable to expect them to be patient. They are putting their earning potential at risk every time they take the field, they have every right to expect their club to reward them for that when they are performing well.

It is what it is, but there are two sides to the business coin. Personally, I empathize far more with the players than I do with the clubs. 

• Like 4

You can empathize with the players, but it's not going to change how organizations (especially the small market ones that can only afford so many big contracts and need to maximize cost) operate. (I'm not saying I like it, I'm just saying it's reality and players like Honeywell railing against it isn't going to win them any favors - it's a business and until the model changes it's just the way it is. The players don't have an equal say (but they do still stand to make millions upon millions of dollars).

That said, clubs also recognize the need to protect prospect SP's and do so by limiting their innings throughout the process in addition to often asking them to emphasize pitches that put less strain on ligaments. It's not like Tampa's asking him to be Nolan Ryan at AAA indefinitely and whatever happens happens, this year is the first time since he was drafted in 2014 that he's surpassed 130 innings.

Edited by Dark One
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I've got 4 days until the Honeywell stash starts actively hurting my roster, when fantasy playoffs start. 

call him up, Tampa!!! He'll be a top-35 pitcher from the get go imo 

So 2nd best SP on most teams? Hmmm. He certainly has the confidence that he is capable of that.

1 hour ago, Bips_braves said:

So 2nd best SP on most teams? Hmmm. He certainly has the confidence that he is capable of that.

seems like most TripleA pitching prospects have either the raw stuff or impeccable command + composure/intangibles yada yada-- but rarely both

Honeywell is one of those guys with everything: good stuff and the other ingredients that make a good pitcher. I think he'll be a stud right from the start!

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

6 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

seems like most TripleA pitching prospects have either the raw stuff or impeccable command + composure/intangibles yada yada-- but rarely both

Honeywell is one of those guys with everything: good stuff and the other ingredients that make a good pitcher. I think he'll be a stud right from the start!

.... in 2019 when they finally call him up.

• 5 months later...
On 2/12/2018 at 8:08 AM, Big Tuna said:

So they obviously are going to keep him down for an extra yr of control but if he is up early he could be a key contributor - whats a realistic time frame?  

with a normal team? last September.

with the Rays?  late 2020, at the earliest ;)

He's completely big league ready. In first-year dynasty drafts, I give him a small bump, because I think he'll contribute quality major league innings in 2018.

When that starts remains to be seen. If it were purely about talent and readiness, he'd be locked and loaded in the rotation. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
  • Like 2