NBC Sports Edge Forums

Brent Honeywell - SP TB

3 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I should have clarified that both leagues I'm referring to have 30+ Minors players

In most leagues he is completely off the grid now. I get that. 

For him to have value at this point, has to be a fairly deep dynasty league where you have DL/Reserve and a fairly large bench and its dynasty where you are basically keeping everyone.  TJ is the tough one too when they go down like right now, because with a young arm, you know they likely wont rush him back, probably be on some sort of innings limit when he does come back and is going into a tough division where his team wont win much.  So when you are thinking he is really helping your team, realisitically, I think your looking at 2020 if just being realistic to when he can help a team that its worth the investment.  Now deeper dynasty with good stash options, AL only deeper keeper....yep there is something to look at there (though I cant imagine he isnt already gone? as one of the top P prospects in the game)  but any sort of mixed league or normal sizing, 12ish - he wont hold much value probably for a couple years. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brent Honeywell has been diagnosed with a torn right ulnar collateral ligament and it's been recommended he undergo Tommy John surgery. The initial diagnosis for Honeywell was a strained right

I fully understand the business ramifications the Rays are up against and appreciate how they dictate their handling of prospects.  That said, it's a business for these kids as well. Every inning

2 hours ago, parrothead said:

He will likely be placed on the 60-day DL since he is on the 40man roster, by placing him on the 60 they can add another player to the 40 man.  But the whole DL thing doesnt go official usually until right around Opening Day.  Even guys in the bigs who you know are out for a while may not be officially placed on DL until then. 

He has to be on the 25 man roster for it to matter for fantasy purposes.  Since he has never been on the 25 man roster and won't be added for this year he will not be eligible for the MLB DL to the best of my knowledge. 

11 hours ago, jdbob11 said:

He has to be on the 25 man roster for it to matter for fantasy purposes.  Since he has never been on the 25 man roster and won't be added for this year he will not be eligible for the MLB DL to the best of my knowledge. 

I think if he is on the 40-man and hurt in spring he will be placed on the MLB disabled list.  Right now there is no 25-man roster.  The 25 really only applies from Opening Day until Aug 31.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

My league is pretty deep but it isn't a full on dynasty. We keep 20 our of 35 roster slots (16 team League). I took a flier on him in the 14th round of our redraft. If he picks up DL eligibility I can stick him on 1 of my 4 DL slots all season but I already have D Lamet, and JT Realmuto on the DL. I also have AJ Puk who is in the same situation hoping for the DL spot to be open for him. So the season hasn't even started and my DL is potentially already full.

It's gonna be tough holding onto Honeywell but I am going to try my best. Hopefully I can get lucky and stay injury free until Lamet and Realmuto comes back. A lot of things have to break right. I'd hate to toss a stud like Honeywell back in the pond. 

• Like 1

Yeah in any normal set-ups there is no hope for DL tags on either Puk or Honeywell.

I snagged Honeywell for cheap in one of my rebuilds, I will hold him all year and bring him back in hopes he sees the bigs by next summer.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've heard that Honeywell is progressing nicely and is expected to be pitching in the minors sometime this season. Does anyone know the timeline on this guy? Does he have any chance of making it to the majors this year? 

45 minutes ago, BCMarch10 said:

I've heard that Honeywell is progressing nicely and is expected to be pitching in the minors sometime this season. Does anyone know the timeline on this guy? Does he have any chance of making it to the majors this year? 

Being the Rays it's still up for debate, but if they are playing well and he's healthy/popping up good stuff in AAA, then it's not hard to envision him pitching important innings for them by August or so. Just my .02

5 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Being the Rays it's still up for debate, but if they are playing well and he's healthy/popping up good stuff in AAA, then it's not hard to envision him pitching important innings for them by August or so. Just my .02

I’ve seen a few prospect sites that say the same thing. 

• 5 weeks later...

Honeywell (elbow) was shut down from throwing Tuesday due to potential nerve issue in his upper arm, Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports.

Analysis:Honeywell recently resumed playing catch after being shut down because of right elbow soreness in mid-April, and is now dealing with a possible nerve issue. The 24-year-old underwent Tommy John surgery in February 2018 and originally planned a mid-summer return, but is now facing an uncertain outlook for the near future.

😞

10 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

At what point do the injuries start taking a long term toll?

We aren't close to that point, IMO. Until something substantial comes to light this all falls under the TJ recovery umbrella for me. We all want TJ recovery to be 16 months with zero setbacks and smooth, but the reality is that no setbacks is rare. Obviously, I wish he didn't have setbacks, but a setback isn't the same as an injury. If he needs surgery to relieve nerve issues then I would be more concerned. Until then I am not getting caught up in the noise until we get to see him pitch and where his stuff is at. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, thezing1 said:

We aren't close to that point, IMO. Until something substantial comes to light this all falls under the TJ recovery umbrella for me. We all want TJ recovery to be 16 months with zero setbacks and smooth, but the reality is that no setbacks is rare. Obviously, I wish he didn't have setbacks, but a setback isn't the same as an injury. If he needs surgery to relieve nerve issues then I would be more concerned. Until then I am not getting caught up in the noise until we get to see him pitch and where his stuff is at. 

Yeah I have in a permanent keeper league and am willing to be patient so long as we can reasonably certain he won't be a diminished player.

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 10:19 PM, Ace_King said:

Out for the year and potentially into next year. When will word on his expected return come out?

I think he is having surgery today and they are going to check in on his TJ during that procedure. Have to wait to hear how the surgery goes and how the ligament was looking. I don't want to think about the possibilities of what they find and what that does for his recovery and would rather just wait for the news. 

• Like 1

somehow Matt Manning was available in my 12 teamer (5 ML slots).  said goodbye to honeywell without much of a thought in this case.  pitching is very volatile.  hold on to someone like honeywell and you could miss out on someone else